Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mr. Onyx Has Passed

Paul S

Mr. Onyx, (whom I nicknamed "SpeedBump" after his penchant for laying right between wherever anyone was sitting and wherever a doorway is, as well as slowly walking down the hallway before you) died an hour ago.

We don't know how old he was as we didn't get him as a kitten. His previous human died from cancer and untreated alcoholism and we took him in as no one else could.

He lived with my wife and I for almost exactly 6 years.

He is survived by two other kittehs, Jerrie and Ninja.

He had an amazing impact on our lives, bringing much joy, love and FUN into them. He even had his own Facebook account! (Which we'll probably take down in a few days after downloading the archive. I may create a memorial Page for him, there.)

We will bury him in a garden, next to the house, and we'll plant stuff around him that would attract the birds and bunnies he so loved to watch from the patio window.

Paul, my dear, it's so good to "see" you hear again ~ it's been a long time! ~ but I'm so sorry for the circumstances that brought you back to us. Please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your beloved "SpeedBump" (I love that image) and know that we are sending thoughts of peace and healing to you and your family.

Dear Ron, I am so sorry you have lost Speedbump (love the name). I think our pets who come to us after being homeless appreciate their new home and somehow know you saved them. I know how difficult it is to lose a beloved pet.

Peace to your heart as you grieve this loss,

Mary

I am so sorry for the loss of your "Speedbump" - the garden sounds like a wonderful idea. I have a sweet little dog who does the same thing ( spreads out in doorways, walks in front of me, races me to the kitchen, stands at the door whenever I put on my shoes.

Our animals bring us joy, don't they.

Anne

Thanks... (but my name is Paul, not "Ron." ;) )

Oh, Paul, I am so sorry. I had just read something with the name Ron in it and my brain did not keep up with my actions. I do know your name is Paul and thank you for correcting me. :( Mary

That's OK, I understand. Just a few days ago I was dressing for an interview, and I completely forgot how to tie a tie. I'll be 51 in a few weeks.

Paul, I had to smile at that one. I hope you got the tie tied....usually our hands remember what our brains forget for a moment. :)

Paul, my dear, it's so good to "see" you hear again ~ it's been a long time! ~ but I'm so sorry for the circumstances that brought you back to us. Please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your beloved "SpeedBump" (I love that image) and know that we are sending thoughts of peace and healing to you and your family.

Thanks for the video, Marty. I tried to play it but got through perhaps 2 minutes before crying. I did add it to a playlist on my YouTube channel, for revisiting later when I can handle it.

And today we bury Mr.Onyx. Or at least attempt to as this is Winter and the ground is hard and frozen. Perhaps not so much as his resting place will be near the house. This has been rough.

Paul, I know these are difficult days having lost beloved pets and now have one that I can't bear the thought of losing.

I do hope the ground can be shoveled out for you to bury Mr. Onyx. I don't know where you live but we are frozen solid here in Wisconsin. As you say next to the building might work. I am sorry his burial is complicated by winter. It is hard enough to deal with this.

Mary

Paul, I know these are difficult days having lost beloved pets and now have one that I can't bear the thought of losing.

I do hope the ground can be shoveled out for you to bury Mr. Onyx. I don't know where you live but we are frozen solid here in Wisconsin. As you say next to the building might work. I am sorry his burial is complicated by winter. It is hard enough to deal with this.

Mary

I'm in western NY, just south of Buffalo. I'm going to bundle up, heavy-duty Long John undergarments, layered clothing atop that, and the determination that grief can supply.

Yes, Paul. I understand that weather. I hope it works. Take breaks :) with hot cocoa.

Paul,

I am so sorry you lost your beloved cat, Mr. Onyx. I, too, have lost cats, one was 19 when he died and I got him when he was 6...all these years later, I still remember and miss him, he was my greeter.

It is so hard saying goodbye to our pets, they are like our children and mean the world to us. Cats especially have unique personalities and it's fun getting to know their quirks and ways. It sounds like a great idea, burying him where the bunnies and birds are, I'm sure he'd like that location. I hope it's not too difficult for you (the burial), it can be very emotional. I had to help bury my Skyedoggers (granddoggy that had lived with me part of the time) just a couple of months ago, and he, too, rests in my back yard where he spent much time.

My thoughts go with you and your wife...and your kittens as they too will miss Mr. Onyx.

He's buried. It wasn't difficult, the ground wasn't frozen, or maybe angels were helping me. It didn't take long.

Hard to say about the other kitteh's feelings. I think he resented their existence (to be polite about it.)

Anyway, he's now in his final resting place on Earth. I long to be reunited with him someday in Eternity.

Paul, I am so glad the angels came to soften the earth so it could receive Mr. Onyx's body. I bet he is waiting at Rainbow Bridge for you....I truly believe we will not only see our beloved humans but also our beloved pets over/out/up there. I am counting on it.

My niece rescued a dog yesterday from the place where she volunteers and her cat is not at all happy about it. She posted a picture of the dog stretched out on the sofa and the cat on the footstool with his back to the dog. They are not fighting, however. Just tolerating each other.

I am glad you have those kittens to hug. And i bet Mr. Onyx is also....now!

Tolerating is good, Mary. That's what my two cats do with each other. :)

Paul, so glad you were able to bury Mr. Onyx, I'm glad the ground wasn't too hard. I had only one pet I wasn't able to bury, because it was January, the ground was frozen solid, and he weighed 120 lbs, we donated his body to science, but I always felt bad that he couldn't be buried here, his home, that was 17 years ago. I wish I'd thought of having him cremated, although I don't think that was common then.

I do believe we will be reunited with all of our loved ones, pets included. My husband has a lot of company in heaven as I know my dogs are keeping him busy throwing sticks and balls!

He was buried in a garden we've been planning that's next to the house and patio. We wrapped him in an old nightgown that belonged to my wife, Rose (he adored and worshipped her. Seriously, followed her around like a puppy and gazed up at her with total affection and wonder) and placed him in a plastic bag with another laid on top (to help deaden any scent from searching wild noses). With him was a catnip mouse, a catnip scented bag, and some string he like to play with.

There's a nice mound there, between two rose bushes we planted last year, and hostas that I rescued from my parent's grave a few years ago (no one was able to tend their graves anymore so I transplanted perennials from it to my house.)

Incidentally, it was my Mom's death in November 2005 that initially brought me here. I was fairly active from 12/05 thru mid-2007. This place was VERY helpful in getting me to adjust to the "new normal" and "moving on" without "leaving behind."

Dear Paul,

Your tender care for Mr. Onyx bespeaks the love you had for him. And wrapping him in your wife's old nightgown feels like wrapping him in her love. I know you miss him.

I actually still have our first dog's ashes here in the house. When we moved back here (he died when we were in our RV chapter traveling about) we planned to bury him once we were settled permanently. This Bill got sick and ultimately died. This Spring I will bury Buffy's ashes at Bill's feet in Bill's grave. That is where Buffy loved to be...at Bill's feet.

Our pets are our family. You did it well.

It sounds like you chose a lovely spot, a place where you can physically come to and remember, that is so important.

I've been here since June 2005, when my husband passed away. I think I remember seeing your posts way back.

It sounds like you chose a lovely spot, a place where you can physically come to and remember, that is so important.

I've been here since June 2005, when my husband passed away. I think I remember seeing your posts way back.

Yes, I thought your username was familiar. ^_^