Grief Healing Discussion Groups

How Loss Can Affect Our Health And What To Do About It.

mfh

We all see members here struggling with health issues following the loss of their spouse, child, and other significant others. I was diagnosed with a low level case of Rheumatoid Arthritis; two rounds of pneumonia and other health issues following my husband Bill's death. This in view of the fact that the worst illness I ever dealt with previous to Bill's illness was Dx was a head cold or flu once a year or less often. During the 4-5 years of caregiving I was not sick once even though exhausted and stressed. It was after Bill died that the body began to scream with symptoms that I am still dealing with. Since I see health issues surfacing in our members and in others who are grieving I am very interested in this topic. This article sheds some light on this and shows how genetics, among other things, plays a role here. My doctor told me I have carried the gene for RA all my life but it never surfaced in all my 70 years until the stress of caregiving and watching Bill die of Alzheimer's brought it to the surface. This is significant because I come out of an early life that was very stressful and have dealt with several deaths of significant people close to me as an adult. It speaks to how stressful caregiving and loss are. The importance of meditation, self care and support from others is critical at this time.

The author (who focuses his research on widows) of this piece says:

Aside from reaching out or moving closer to loved ones, widowed individuals can take a number of steps to try to extend their lives. Studies have found that cognitive behavioral therapy, aerobic exercise, meditation, T'ai Chi, and a Mediterranean diet all reduce the IL-6 level in the blood. In one study, subjects who practiced compassion meditation for six weeks felt decreased anxiety and produced fewer inflammation biomarkers when placed in a stressful situation.

I urge you to not only read this but to really put self care at the very top of your list. Compassion meditation includes repeating sentences such as: May I be healthy, May I be peaceful, May I live with ease. If anyone wants more information on compassion meditation, let me know.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-201304161300--tms--premhnstr--k-i20130417-20130417,0,1719432.story

Anxiety and fear dissipate quickly when countered with conscious breathing.

The signals our bodies use to tell us we need to cleanse ourselves physically, mentally, and emotionally are multifaceted and often mirror symptoms we associate with illness. If we heed these signs, we not only feel better quickly but also stave off poor health before it can start. These quick fixes for common ailments can get you started.

1. Applying pressure to the acupressure point between the thumb and forefinger can release blockages causing pain, tension, and fatigue. You can relieve a headache naturally by squeezing for 20 seconds and releasing for 10 seconds, without letting go, four times.

2. To breathe freely, irrigate your nasal passages with a neti pot and warm salt water. As you clear and soothe the sinuses, congestion associated with allergies or infection will gradually disappear.

3. Apple cider vinegar is a powerful purifying and detoxifying agent. Soaking for 20 minutes in a warm bath infused with two cups of apple cider vinegar pulls toxins from the body and can clear blocked energy.

4. The foods you eat can have a profound impact on your outlook and mood. Eating a small yet satisfying meal rich in complex carbohydrates can lift your spirit and help you let go of feelings of anger, irritability, and depression.

5. Anxiety and fear dissipate quickly when countered with conscious breathing because concentrating on the breath enables you to refocus your attention inward. You can ground yourself and regain your usual calm by taking a series of deep belly breaths as you visualize your feet growing roots that stretch miles down into the earth.

6. Though tuning out can seem counterproductive, a few minutes spent lost in daydreams or listening to soothing music can help you see your circumstances from a new angle when you feel frustrated.

7. If you feel ill health coming on, brew a wellness elixir. Simmer three sliced lemons, one teaspoon freshly grated ginger, one clove freshly minced garlic, and one quarter teaspoon cayenne pepper in five cups water until the lemons are soft and pale. Strain a portion into a mug and add honey by tablespoons until you can tolerate the taste. Drinking this potent mixture of antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal ingredients three times each day can ensure your symptoms never progress into a full-blown illness.

For more information visit dailyom.com

Guest babylady

thank you for this information. although i have other health problems, last week i came down with a cold -- first one in 20 years. i took 1,000 mg of vitamin C almost every hour and did not get diarrhea which means my body needed it.

arlene

• 2 weeks later...

An outstanding and helpful blog by dear friend Elaine Mansfield. This is part I of 3 parts.

http://elainemansfield.com/2014/survival-guide-life-after-loss-body/?goback=.gde_2233086_member_5833957181518544896#!

This guides readers to self care as we grief.

Elaine is a sensitive writer and her next two writings should be as good as this one. Thank you, Mary, for posting them. I receive them in my e-mail and am so glad others will have the opportunity to read her works.

• 2 weeks later...

This is part II of Elaine's three part piece on self care. This is care of the soul.

http://elainemansfield.com/2014/survival-guide-life-loss-ten-ways-nurture-soul/

And in keeping with her trilogy (the first being care of the body) Dr. Daniel Amen, an outstanding neuroscientist, has a piece in his latest newsletter on nutrition. He advocates people getting totally off sugar and his research shows the brain images (FMRI) after people eat sugar. He is one of the professionals that contributes to the Daniel Program. This article speaks for itself.

http://www.amenclinics.com/dr-amen/blog/2013/07/5-ways-to-break-your-addiction-to-carbs-and-feel-great/

For those who wish to lose weight...if you read this...you will be convinced of his research.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to take a nap daily since Bill died. The exhaustion of grief and early on the interrupted nights led me to naps. Here is a neat chart on the effects of napping. Notice that overall a 90 minute nap is best. Here is the website: http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/how-long-to-nap-for-the-biggest-brain-benefits/

biggest-bran-benefits-.jpg

Dearest Mary,

Your compassion, kindness, and wisdom fill my heart and keep me going when things seem so shadowed and empty. Your practical advice and links, your resources and insights help me with my healing every day. Thank you for your caring presence here.

namaste,

fae

My dear fae, I am so glad that anything I do or say brings you even a tiny bit of comfort...I am honored to be here.

Mary