Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Music That Soothes Me

enna

Anne and Marty, I had a soloist sing this (In This Life) at Bill's funeral. It is also the background song for the slide show I had running in the room where people ate afterwards. It is very special to me/us. Thank you, Anne, for the lovely reminder. IZ, the vocalist, died a few years ago...very young probably obesity related. I have several of his albums.

For all of you, I stopped on the way to my conference today at a shrine I love (as my chocolate in the car melted in the 87 degree heat :-) and lit candles for those of you whose lives are touched or have been by cancer (Catholics have a saint for everything and at this location was an altar to St. Peregrine-patron of cancer patients); for all the members in our losses; and of course for Bill and myself. The shrine is Our Lady of Guadalupe. For anyone interested http://www.guadalupeshrine.org/visit/shrine-church

I will return to La Crosse soon for a three day Buddhist mindfulness retreat. I see spirituality in all beliefs, religions, etc.

96% of the residents of this city of 52,000 people have advanced directives on record. The only city like that in the country. We have many experts on end of life issues here but most speakers here for the next four days are from everywhere around the world and USA.

The Blue Angels are buzzing over the hotel. Magnificent!

Peace to all of you,

Mary

Thank you for the words to the song, "In This Life," Marty. I liked the message and the song itself.

Mary, I did know that IZ had died. I really like his music. I did not know that it has such special meaning to you.

Thank your for lighting the candle at the shrine. It was built after we left IL. It looks like a beautiful, peaceful place. I could do a retreat there.

Sometimes a song can say what is in your heart ~

• 3 weeks later...

When I fell in love it was forever ~ now I have only memories. Missing someone never goes away. I will be learning how to go on without you, my love, for the rest of my life.

"I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)"
(originally by Stevie Wonder)

Shattered dreams, worthless years,
Here am I encased inside a hollow shell,
Life began, then was done,
Now I stare into a cold and empty well

The many sounds that meet our ears
the sights our eyes behold,
Will open up our merging hearts,
And feed our empty souls

I believe when I fall in love with you it will be forever,
I believe when I fall in love this time it will be forever

Without despair we will share,
And the joys of caring will not be replaced,
What has been must never end
And with the strength we have won't be erased
When the truths of love are planted firm,
They won't be hard to find,
And the words of love I speak to you
will echo in your mind

This time

And oh that love will call
And if I believe you're the only one for me

I believe, I believe, I believe, when I fall in love, oh
I believe, I believe, I believe, when I fall in love, oh

When I fall

I believe, I believe, I believe, when I fall

When I fall

When I fall in love

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anne, this is a favorite of mine since 1980ish. I have the entire album. Thank you for sharing this. Here is another from that same album:

Be Not Afraid.

Kay, an easy way to keep songs from YouTube is to take a Word doc and copy/paste the address on it and call the document YouTube songs. Once you copy it, highlight the link, go up to INSERT and then hyperlink. A window opens with the address in it. You can change the one that says Display callling it the name of the song. Click OK and you can have pages of links without storing them on your hard drive but they can be played easily. I keep one of these on my desktop. Let me know if this does not make sense and I will help you.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just such a meaningful song ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHStYNXnOH4#t=84

To Where You Are

Who can say for certain
Maybe you're still here
I feel you all around me
Your memory's so clear

Deep in the stillness
I can hear you speak
You're still an inspiration
Can it be
That you are mine
Forever love
And you are watching over me from up above

Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile to know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

Are you gently sleeping
Here inside my dream
And isn't faith believing
All power can't be seen

As my heart holds you
Just one beat away
I cherish all you gave me everyday
'Cause you are my
Forever love
Watching me from up above

And I believe
That angels breathe
And that love will live on and never leave

Fly me up
To where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile
To know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

I know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

Writers: Richard Marx, Linda Thompson
Copyright: Chi-boy Music, Chrysalis Music, Brandon Brody Music

A breath away's not far to where you are

That line literally took my breath away the first time I heard this song, dear Anne ~ and I just had to add the lyrics to your post. Josh Groban is one of my very favorite singers. Thank you for sharing this.

You are welcome, Marty. Thank you for adding the lyrics. The song is one of my "cry during" songs. I too really like all that Josh Groban sings. When he sings "The Prayer" with Celine Dion it really touches my soul.

• 4 weeks later...

Love this..soothing. There was a time I could play this and a couple others. Thank you.

Anne, Neil Diamond is one of my favorites.... He has a brand new album coming out 10-21, pre-order as of yesterday. http://www.neildiamond.com/

According to Capitol Music Group Chairman & CEO Steve Barnett, “Neil has made a brilliant record, one of the very finest in his singular body of work. His beautiful and heartfelt songs on Melody Road are imbued with the wisdom of a man reflecting on life’s experiences while still looking forward on the road ahead of him. He delivers these songs with the passion of an artist fully committed to his craft, and in that warmly distinctive voice that has brought us so many Neil Diamond classics. All of us at Capitol are thrilled to be presenting Melody Road to the world.”

Track Listing:

1. Melody Road
2. First Time
3. Seongah and Jimmy
4. Something Blue
5. Nothing But A Heartache
6. In Better Days
7. Ooo Do I Wanna Be Yours
8. Alone At The Ball
9. Sunny Disposition
10. Marry Me Now
11. The Art of Love
12. Melody Road (Reprise)

I also pre-ordered and did you see that if you pre-order you get an "early buy" for tickets to his upcoming tour. The last time he was in Milwaukee, I had the flu and gave my tickets away....if he comes anywhere near here this time, I am going. :P

The Mahler/Bernstein video....no words for that...just tears.

Art Garfunkel, a bit older, a bit balder but singing Bridge Over Troubled Water just the same.

This song is loaded with memories, feelings and reminders that we are all here being bridges for each other.

Oh yes, Mary, memories and we are bridges for one another. I learned how to play guitar using Simon and Garfunkel's music while studying on the campus of Loyola Universary during my college years. The early sixties seem so far away. My favorite was/is "Sounds of Silence" ~