Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Webinars For Personal Growth And Healing

mfh

Marty has a webinar suggestion (posted on April 21) above that will play tomorrow May 10th on The Power of Forgiveness 

And I am recommending the one below titled Mind Over Medicine - it's FREE. It will air Wednesday, May 11th - 12:00 PM Pacific

View in your browser.
The Chopra Center cc-header_programs.jpg cc-header_services.jpg cc-header_blog.jpg cc-header_community.jpg cc-header_shop.jpg

LissaRankinWebinar-Header-600x200

Many people believe that when it comes to their health, they have to play with the cards that were dealt to them through their genetics. What if this was not the case? 

What if discomfort or illness within the body could be treated by simply changing your mindset? Too often we suppress our deepest desires in order to attend to life's busy demands. As fears bind us to a fate which is not our heart's calling, we unintentionally pave the way for ailments within the body. 

Luckily, there is a chance to break free from this trap by viewing discomfort within the body as a wake-up call to living the life you've always imagined. To help you discover the message that lies within, you're invited to join this fascinating conversation withNew York Times bestselling author of Mind Over Medicine, Lissa Rankin, M.D. 

Register for this free webinar on Wednesday, May 11 at 12pm Pacific.

It's a remarkable, 45-minute look into a mind-body healing approach that Lissa used to transform her own life as both a doctor and a patient. 

Discover how illness may be subtly signaling to you that something is off in the body, and find out ways to address the root cause of chronic symptoms.

LissaRankinWebinar-LearnMore

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
http://karenwyattmd.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3ca907a9f101567d342c3f4ef&id=172d0bb523&e=5eeca9a434

Karen Wyatt, MD wants to tell you about an upcoming FREE summit called Triumph Over Tragedy, hosted by Chrystal Green. Karen will be joining the summit along with 20 other experts in personal transformation to talk about surviving and rising above personal crisis.

This inspirational series begins on June 6th and lasts for 10 days. Sign up for FREE and listen live or to replays of each presentation for 48 hours after broadcast. 

Click here to sign up for Triumph Over Tragedy
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

The above webinar was excellent.

Here is one that sounds good. Click on the link to registrar. 

S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowRT1.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT2.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT3.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT4.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT5.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT6.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT7.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT8.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT9.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT10.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT11.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT12.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT13.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT14.png
Be Our Guest
Free Webinar-Understanding Anger
PM_NPV_TitleLeftAccent.png S.gif S.gif S.gif PM_NPV_TitleRightAccent.png
S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif
3c201769-74ff-4a26-94f9-7ffb53a00836.png 723d1108-e661-4034-a7f4-d56bbed65165.png

Join us  
Free Webinar: Understanding Anger
on June 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM PDT.

Healthy Anger? Tired of out of control people? Are you ready to embrace and understand this confusing emotion? If so, join Dr's Gloria and Heidi Horsley and Alan Pedersen, Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends, in an informative discussion with Dr. Bernard Golden author of Overcoming Destructive Anger: Strategies That Work. Text in your anger questions and become part of the process.

Register now!

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7890648870390924036

PM_NPV_Divider_v2.png
  • Upvote 2

The above webinar Understanding Anger was excellent. It will be posted on Open to Hope in a few hours for those who missed it.

This talk on spousal loss with Drs. Gloria and Heidi Horsley is very good.  Real grief work begins after the last casseroles stop coming and the phone calls stop.

• Upvote 1

The webinar titled Understanding Anger ~ "Healthy Anger and Loss" with guest speaker Bernard Golden, PhD.  is on YouTube now. 

This webinar was featured on Open to Hope with Drs. Gloria and Heidi Horsley and Alan Pedersen, Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

It's not exactly a webinar, but it's so worth listening to!

When neurosurgeon Paul Kalanithi was diagnosed with cancer, he decided to write a memoir. He didn’t live to see his book When Breath Becomes Air published, but it turned into a New York Times number one bestseller.

His widow, Lucy Kalanithi, helped finish the book after Paul couldn’t continue. Doug Stanton talks this hour with Lucy Kalanithi: http://interlochenpublicradio.org/post/national-writers-series-evening-lucy-kalanithi

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information above, Marty. 'When Breath Becomes Air' is on my to read list.

"Anger is a natural response to being deprived of something desired."

~ Therese Rando

A

Natural

Genuine

Emotional

Response

I was experiencing a few issues with anger and found this webinar great to re-listen to. The webinar is from The Compassionate Friends and the speaker is Dr. Bob Baugher. Anger issues can creep up and bit you when least expecting it to even if you think you’ve dwelt with the issues in the past.

When something cannot change it is important to ‘let it go.’   We can’t fix everything.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful simple way of putting it.

• 4 weeks later...

A webinar with Tara Brach, PhD and Ruth Buczynski, PhD will replay today.  Excellent.

Points covered:  

• Why People Are So Easily Prone to Believe There’s Something Wrong with Themselves
  • How to Find the “Sweet Spot” between Vulnerability and Over-Sharing
  • How to Address the “Need to be Right” in a Relationship
  • What to Do When Only One Partner in a Relationship is Willing to Risk Vulnerability
  • Why Mindfulness is So Helpful for Healing Self-Judgment and Criticism
  • 3 Invitations That Come from Facing the Trance of Unworthiness

http://www.onlinemeetingnow2.com/seminar/?id=pdv2wp3imk  

• Upvote 1

I tried to go to it but it's over. :(

I was gone all day, was catching up last night.

PM_NPV_ShadowRT1.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT2.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT3.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT4.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT5.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT6.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT7.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT8.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT9.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT10.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT11.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT12.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT13.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT14.png
Be Our Guest

PM_NPV_TitleLeftAccent.png S.gif S.gif S.gif PM_NPV_TitleRightAccent.png
S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif
3c201769-74ff-4a26-94f9-7ffb53a00836.png 723d1108-e661-4034-a7f4-d56bbed65165.png

Join us  

Free Webinar:
Sudden Death of a Child and Regaining Balance
on October 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM PDT.

Feeling out of balance? Grief disrupting your equilibrium? Join Dr's Heidi and Gloria Horsley, and Alan Pedersen Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends to hear how Neal Raisman Ph.D. stabilized his life after the sudden death of his son Isaac. Neal is the author of Standing On One Foot. Text in during the Webinar with your questions and thoughts.

Register now!

PM_NPV_Divider_v2.png
S.gif
Register Now

S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowLB.png
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif

dEPRESSION wEBINAR

One in 10 people in the United States is affected by depression with more people struggling every day. The World Health Organization has projected that by the year 2020, depression will be the second leading cause of disability in the world. In light of this troubling rise and in honor of Depression Awareness Month, Dr. Lisa Firestone will present a free one-hour online presentation, introducing effective ways of dealing with depression. Those struggling with depression should know that treatment is available, and there is much hope on the horizon.

Empowering Strategies to Fight Depression

A FREE Webinar with Dr. Lisa Firestone

Oct. 18, 2016 - 11am-12pm Pacific Time

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?TheGlendonAssociatio/1ff22408b0/ca1dc70fe0/4d69181170

Webinar Description:

---------------------------------

reflection

Research is showing that depression is on the rise and is affecting people at a younger and younger age. Depression is a real disorder and should be taken as seriously as any medical condition. Yet, it’s estimated that 80 percent of people with symptoms of depression are not getting treatment. People struggling with depression should know that there are many effective ways to fight depression. It’s incredibly important to empower ourselves with information on the different techniques that can help individuals battling depression.

In this one-hour online presentation, Dr. Lisa Firestone will share up-to-date information on various methods that have been proven to help alleviate symptoms of depression. She will introduce a concept known as the “critical inner voice,” an internal enemy we all possess that fuels symptoms of depression and often discourages those suffering from engaging in the very behaviors that could help them feel better. Learning how to challenge this inner enemy and take the actions that can strengthen one’s real sense of self provides powerful tools for those fighting to overcome depression.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sudden Death of a Child and Regaining Balance – my thoughts after listening to this discussion webinar on October 10th

This discussion will be shown again at www.opentohope.com  - at the end of the week.

This was a discussion with Neal Raisman, PhD talking with Dr. Heidi Horsley from Open to Hope and Alan Pedersen, Director of Compassionate Friends

Neal Raisman, PhD book - Standing on One Foot – covers losing your balance – when you are in grief you can’t balance at all

We need to regain our balance – we are Normal. This is a new normal.

Neal reminds us that Grief and Depression hurt physically – there is nothing wrong with you – He says that Cortisol (a stress hormone) doubles when you’re in grief –your memory will disappear – your ability to function interferes with your being able to function.

About GUILT – a parent should be able to protect their child - they need to talk about it – talk is what will help you deal with the grief

Others may have trouble relating to you… people will react differently if they haven’t gone through it – even husbands and wives react differently

Platitudes are not helpful.

We all need to be validated.

Over time memories do come back.

Life becomes like the movie Groundhog Day Neal said. In this article:  Ground Hog Days: How it Really Feels To Lose A Child: http://www.opentohope.com/ground-hog-days-really-feels-lose-child/ 

In early grief – you fall into the same routine – you’re not thinking – it is often described as being in a fog

Don’t ask if I’m OK – how could I be?

Anger is okay – it’s normal – anxiety – panic – you have no control

Talk your heart out – share – it is important to express how you are feeling – cry, open up, release the pressure on your psychic heart – tell people how you feel – write your heart out – journal – write down your thoughts – it’s easier than telling about it.

******Remember that on Oct. 18 another webinar titled: Empowering Strategies to Fight Depression will be available. See Marty's post above. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanksgiving: Choosing Love

1. Mon, Nov 7, 2016 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM PST

Thanksgiving:  Choosing LoveHoliday Blues? Looking for tips on coping? Join Drs. Heidi and Gloria Horsley, Alan Pedersen, Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends, and their guest Scarlett Lewis, whose son Jesse was killed in the Sandy Hook tragedy, for a discussion of holidays and hope. Send us your questions and comments and share how you plan to spend the holidays.

If interested, go here to register: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3368873219508246020

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nov. 7, 2016

Thanksgiving: Hope for the Holiday: Choosing Love

I watched this tonight and am sharing some of my notes: it will be available later on Open to Hope website later this week. 

Dr. Heidi & Gloria Horsley with Scarlett Lewis ~ Alan Pedersen moderates.

Jesse McCord Lewis was one of the children killed at the Sandy Hook School shooting four years ago on December 14, 2012. He wrote a message on a chalk- board at his home a few days before the shootings. It read, “Norurting, heling, love.” His mother, Scarlett, took this as a sign that her work would be partly a goal of forgiving. She recognized that the person who did the shooting must have been in a great deal of pain. Her ability to continue was to look to others that are further down the road to find hope…

In grief, we take one little step at a time…we can be broken and whole…but it takes a lot of work to find hope again.

A question asked ~

Does the choose love formula work for everyone, in every circumstance?

We have to work through all our anger and when we make the choice to forgive there are benefits ~ you’re not giving away your power.

Learn more on Scarlett’s website 

With the holidays in front of us, we can focus on just one thing to be grateful for.  Sometimes we develop new friendships, sometimes we connect with others, and we try to remember to be inclusive to everybody.

• Upvote 2

Anne,

I'm taking a course on "Restoration" and just had my first session Saturday (it's a weekly, four month course).  In it they also talked about acknowledging your hurts and forgiveness.  It looks to be a promising course!  It all barrels down to our choices!

• Upvote 1

This sounds like a good course, Kay. I so agree with you about our choices. We do have choices and it's up to us what we do. One of the things that I have learned on this grief journey is that when we forgive it is for us and not for the one we forgive. Keep us posted on the course as you go along. 

• Upvote 1

This just in from our friends at The Gift of Second:

How to Find Hope and Happiness after Suicide loss

Have you lost a loved one to suicide? Are you feeling overwhelmed or stuck and you don’t know how to put the pieces of your life back together? Have you thought to yourself “Is the pain, anger or guilt ever going to go away?”

My friend and colleague Shanetta Brown has put together an amazing group of authors, therapists, psychologists, and more to create a dynamic video interview series where we truly show you how to find hope and happiness on the other side of grief. I will also be sharing during the series.

Here are some tools that you will learn:

-Recognize grief can be used as a transformation process to reach a fulfilling and purpose-filled life! (Thrive instead of just survive!)

-Move fully into your heart and body to process and release grief, mourn openly and grieve freely to reach a deep level of healing!

-How to handle the holidays after a loss and still finding reason to celebrate.

– Recognize ways to support your child through the grieving process.

-Determine things you can say to your child to help them with the loss.

-Recognize that you can maintain connection with deceased loved ones knowing that love lives on through them!

-Build supportive and caring networks and give yourself permission to share feelings, emotions and memories easily!

-Move from fear to faith that you can and will get through loss to find a new appreciation of life. (Be a victor over grief, not a victim!)

-Re-write your grief story and reclaim your life!

-Honor your loved one’s legacy with love, remembering a life well lived!

So, what does this all mean for you?

The experts in The Other Side of Grief speaker series will show you how to use their BEST tools to promote your healing and move through grief to heal with less struggle and hardship than necessary, so you can live again NOW with a life of purpose in honor of those you love. Support your healing with the best tools, tips, and methods to do so! The speakers are generously donating their time so you can get access to this value-packed online event at no cost. All you need is a computer to participate from anywhere in the world. Reserve your spot right away!

This series will help you embrace the fact that there is Hope and Happiness on the other side of grief.

fb_img_1477574447153

Please take this opportunity to join me for this powerful interview series where authors like myself are generously showing you the way, and make this the first step of your journey toward healing!

See you there,

Brandy

PS: It’s easy! Just click this link and sign in with your name and email in the boxes! Leave the rest to Shanetta and her team!

Click This Link to Sign Up!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

From our friend and colleague Peggy Haymes:

Have you noticed? Lots of people are feeling anxious these days.

Some people are feeling anxious because in not so many days we’ll have an inauguration that will lead us into uncharted waters. What will it mean for us as a country? For the world? What will it mean for me as an individual?

Some people are anxious because no matter who is president, the problems at home are still the problems at home. The car is still making that funny sound. Every time you start to get an emergency fund saved up an emergency comes along to wipe it out. You don’t quite know what’s happening in your relationship and the not knowing is as anxious as dealing with the problems. There’s still the matter of that test the doctor ordered. The lab is being awfully casual about getting your results back, not knowing that you can’t sleep until you know.

Some people are anxious because, well… it’s just what they do.

One of the keys to dealing with anxiety is to identify what’s under your control, which probably a lot less than what you think in your imagination. Once you identify that, focus on taking concrete actions where you do have control.

Sometimes those actions feel small and useless in the face of worldwide events. Sometimes they seem to be hopelessly inadequate baby steps in light of the mountains we have to climb in our lives.

But take enough small actions and they  add up.

This summer I went to a birthday party for a friend. Included in the guest list was a family whom she’d been helping. I watched the children playing soccer and saw their wide eyes as they surveyed what was probably the biggest birthday cake they’d ever seen.

And then I thought about other children, the hollow eyed children of Aleppo. You see, this family was a Syrian refugee family. They were here because of the work of a lot of people but also because my friend had decided to do the things she coulddo. She couldn’t broker peace in Syria but she could help one family find a new start and a new life. Or maybe find life itself, away from the bombs.

This month I’m offering a webinar on anxiety, “If I love Jesus why do I need Xanax?” We’ll look at what causes anxiety, how our brain feeds it, what faith has to do with it as well as talk about some tools for dealing with it. I’ll also share one of the roots of anxiety that I’ve discovered in over ten years of working as a therapist. It’s not one people talk about a lot, but it can make all the difference in how you handle anxiety.

Click on the link to register. You’ll have three different chances to attend, and the webinar will be both live and free all three times.

https://my.demio.com/ref/4C6tOUT8I2EeSuAU

In the meantime, what helps you when you’re anxious?

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2017 at 9:07 PM, MartyT said:

In the meantime, what helps you when you’re anxious?

doing my coloring         eating chocolate           visiting with friends       meditating

walking                         reading                          pinning on Pinterest       creating videos

listening to music         getting a massage         working in my yard        cooking

dark chocolate truffles.jpg

everything has beauty.jpg

• Upvote 2