Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Beloved, Duke.

sroles83

last night, the 4th of July, my husband and I went out to the lake where we buried Duke, wanting to shoot off some fireworks in memory of him... it's just a small lake where he used to love to run and chase the dragonflies.. when we got out there, we found some young kids with a camper there.. they had a fire going right by duke's grave.. we told them that was our dog buried there.. we decided to just go home since others were camping there... we went back there this morning only to find their burnt logs, and their trash scattered all around, right next to our duke.. the worst part was seeing they had taken rocks off of his grave to make a ring for their firepit..I don't know how people can be so heartless..I mow the area around his grave so it's not overtaken by weeds and grass. I do this in memory of him.. they could've built their fire anywhere..

It is hard to believe how insensitve people can be even after you explained that they were at your dog's burial site. I am so very sorry. I know that was hurtful.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, my friend, and I can only imagine how painful this was for you and your husband: hurt piled on top of hurt. Obviously these kids don't understand that kind of pain, and probably won't until they experience the loss of someone they love so dearly, too. Sadly enough, that day will come for every one of them, as it does for all of us. I'm so sorry . . . :(

I am so sorry they desecrated his grave like that. Usually it's a no burn time of year most places, it is here, so I'm surprised they were burning. Were you able to get his grave back in order? I'm sorry it wrecked your plans. If it wasn't a campground, you had as much a right to be there as anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

we did get duke's grave back in order.. I had remembered the name of one of the campers that were there that night, so I messaged him via Facebook the next day and told him how upset I was to find that mess there that morning and how upsetting it was to see they had pulled rocks off of duke's grave to make their fire pit. he was extremely apologetic and said he had told his friends how rude it was to take Rocks from off the grave, but he said they didn't listen to him..he also said he would talk to his friends and ask them to never have a fire there again... one of my family members made a suggestion to rake some wildflower seeds over the burnt area of grass where the campers had their fire.

thank you all for your comforting words for me after this happened..

I tried to post a picture of duke's grave .. my laptop is broken, so I'mtrying to use my phone. so you all probably won't be able to view it :(

It took me to somewhere in my own FB.

some days I'm okay, but the next I'm not.. I started crying today thinking about him as I was driving down the road. even though its been almost a year now, the images of him bring struck by that pick up are still clear in my mind.. I've been talking to my husband about getting a tattoo in memory of duke.. I would love to get a dragonfly with dukes name next to it (since he always loved to chase them). I think doing that would really help me :)

kayc, darn it.. I really wanted to share that picture with you.. we have him buried overlooking the lake. its really beautiful out there.

I tried to share shows the spot where duke is buried with the spot where they had their fire right next to it.. if you'd like to add me as a friend and see my name is Sarah Dobbelaere :)

• 1 month later...

I was driving on a dark night on a rural highway. I saw a big dog down and stopped. It was a beautiful blue eyed Husky. Bloody and looked gone but as I talked to him, his chest rose and his head went up, in my mind, it's ok I said. I blocked traffic asking every driver to help, but they were too busy except one. She starting knocking on the house doors but no one was home. She was a nurse and had to leave. I called 911 begging for help. He is still alive please. We have no animal control and vets offices are closed We have animal pickups from roads and we will dispatch them meaning let it be and we will remove the animal. This was unacceptable to me. I called all the vets offices and numbers and no one was home. Out of the blue the dog got up and walked to the ditch and I think another truck hit him despite my car half blocking traffic with blinkers on. Then a police officer arrived. As he drove past the dog and stopped I heard gun fire. I call 911 back asking how could he kill a dog that is still alive and just hurt. We do not kill animals I was told and the police officer pulled up to where I was and swore he did not kill the dog. I told him where the animal was and we started walking against traffic and I was not afraid and he was. I said your red and blues are on and you have a flash light. What is wrong with the world we are in such a hurry. Finally, I found the dog, gone. Looked 'out of misery as they say'. As the tears flowed, the officer swore he never discharged his weapon. That the second truck had finished the dog. What a sad world we live in when people don't realize dogs are other human beings children. As John Mayer sang 'we keep waiting, waiting on the world to change'.

That is too sad.

• 3 weeks later...

That is so sad. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad to know you did everything you could to help that poor dog.. I've heard so many stories about cops shooting dogs for no reason. You heard a gun shot, so I really do believe he killed that poor innocent dog. I agree with you, it is a sad world we live in.. That's why I tend to love my animals more than most people. People can be so cruel and heartless.. But our fur friends are always there for us.

My dog is Husky/Golden Retriever and has taken it upon himself to be a guard dog...he guards the truck when he's in it, and he guards my place when a stranger comes here. He takes his role very seriously. He has never bitten anyone but he can sound bloodcurdling to those he sees as trespassers. The other day I was at the post office and he was in the back of the truck and a cop parked nearby. I got out of the truck and stood by Arlie and held his collar hoping to reassure him...the thought crossed my mind that if he let out that bloodcurdling threat to the police officer, he could shoot and kill him. It happens all too often. Instead, the policeman approached, asked if it'd be okay to pet him, to which I said if he continues to seem approachable but he's guarding his truck and if he gives you a warning sound, please don't proceed...animals are not people. The policeman reached out to pet him and Arlie gave him a kiss! He seems to know "dog people", those who truly love dogs. I felt my heart breathe a sigh of relief! I am always sick when I hear in the news that yet another dog got shot because some uneducated policeman did not understand the animal and responded rashly. No one should be shot for doing their job, even if they're a dog.