Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Videos Worth Watching

MartyT

And so true!

• Like 1

I also like the book When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold Kushner (Rabbi).

• Like 1

Great discussion.

I was in college studying theology before I started to change my image of God as a protector and loving Father. It took me years to realize that God does not let bad things happen. It is rather a part of life.  It is up to me to accept that when something bad happens it is not God’s fault. 

I was first introduced to Terri Daniels when my dog Benji died. I kept asking why and even gave God a piece of my mind for taking him away so soon after I adopted him after my beloved Jim died. For a while, I thought it was God punishing me until I remember that God does not allow bad things to happen.

Thanks for finding this video, Marty.

• Like 2

I guess because people view God as all powerful, they feel He can stop something from happening but since He didn't, they blame Him.  They don't realize even He acts within certain guidelines and boundaries that were set in motion too many years ago to count.  He will BE in charge someday, but according to most Christian theology, that isn't the case right now.  It's complicated.  Anyway, I view it as you do, Anne, we're in a world where things are temporary, our bodies for one thing.  Rather than playing the blame game, I see Him as going through everything WITH me.  Hard to remember when you're newly grieving and out of your mind with it, but even that state is temporary.  We get a little more clarity of mind back in time.

• 2 months later...

Except for the SEX reference, not like any of us have any.  What's that???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Except for the SEX reference, not like any of us have any.  What's that???

I thought the same thing...  "Now why did he have to mention that!"   I presume it is to attract attention to the video. 

I know there is a purpose to everything in life. It draws me closer to God and His work of sanctification. - Shalom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

KARLA HELBERT: THE HEALING POWER OF YOGA

Karla Helbert is a licensed counselor, bereaved mother, yoga teacher and therapist. She is the award-winning author of Finding Your Own Way to Grieve and Yoga for Grief & Loss. Her life changed after her son died of a brain tumor in 2006. Karla specializes in working with traumatic grief. She is a facilitator and trainer for the MISS foundation.

WOW! This touches me deeply. I can not imagine...  "No matter what you come up against...KEEP GOING!"

• Like 1

I worked for a Prosthetic and Orthotic facility for six years, one of my favorite jobs...I've seen bilateral amputees, but to see someone with no arms or legs, that has to be really hard.  One thought I had was, the dog seems not to notice.  And he still found a way to pet/rub the dog.  
When you love a person, you love who they are, the package is of lesser consequence, it is the spirit of the person you love.

I cry when I think of all of the amputees I have known...they don't let life stop them!  They are on Search and Rescue, they climb mountains, they are avid skiers, they work construction, they dance.  They are inspiring.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:56
Subject: Public Television Documentary on Grief – July 15 Online Screening Event

Hello Marty,

I’m a producer for PBS affiliate station WPSU. I recently produced the documentary Speaking Grief. This film explores the transformative experience of losing a family member in a grief-avoidant society. It validates grief as a normal, healthy part of the human experience rather than a problem that needs to be “fixed.” It also addresses the role that support from friends and family plays in a person’s grief experience, offering guidance on how to show up for people in their darkest moments.  I think it might be of interest to your members. 

If you agree that this would resonate with your members, we would love to have you make them aware of an online screening event that’s happening next Wednesday, July 15 at 8:00 p.m. (ET). We’ll be screening the documentary in full (it’s currently only available via public television broadcast) and via Facebook Live (@wpsugrief) following the screening with a live Q&A with grief experts, the VP of the New York Life Foundation, and one of the people featured in the film.

Here's a link to the event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2442027929166979/

Thank you,
Lindsey Whissel Fenton
Senior Producer, WPSU Penn State
Phone: 814-863-1769

image.thumb.png.86e7a063a2f1a61c01c5d45fe8b8e668.png

• 3 months later...

Very beautifully done!  She shares in a way that I feel...this is a journey none of us wished to be on, but it's rich with, as she called it, self knowing, learning about ourselves, getting to know about ourselves in a rich way.  One of those things you wouldn't trade for anything...except to have them back.