Grief Healing Discussion Groups

New Milestones, Old Grief

Melina, the anniversaries of death are always tough no matter how many years go by. I hope the day didn't go as rough as you anticipated.

Thanks Kay,

It was a strangely difficult day, but I got through it. I wonder if it's going to be like this every year.

I've come to see my life as being divided into two phases: pre-husband's cancer and post-husband's cancer. It feels like two completely different lives.

Thanks again for your message...

Everything in my life is "before George's death" and "after George's death", my life was night and day different afterwards. My sister told me this week that I "have a charmed life". Really? What would she know? She still has her husband, she has plenty of money, she isn't alone all the time, she doesn't struggle, when she injures herself she has someone to help her. She has no clue what it's like to live my life. I have a lot of positive things about my life, one being where I live, the other being my pets, and I'm very happy to be retired, but it's far from "charmed". I have a lot of struggles as many of us do. It's nothing like it was "before".

Dear Melina,

It is hard to know how the anniversaries will be in the future but we all do know they will always have our attention. I have found some more difficult than others so I try not to assume they will be really difficult since some are not. And yes, my life too is "before Bill's death and after Bill's death". It is two different lives...so much is gone. I am glad you are with us.