Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Town's On Fire

I haven't been able to find out up to date information...I looked on the Fire Dept's website, Police Dept's website, USFS website (fires update is broken), twitter, and Facebook for the same. Nothing is being entered. Partly because everyone is busy and partly because it's the weekend. The road to my place is closed. They evacuated at the bottom and it's moving up.

Oh my goodness, Kay. Are you being evacuated? I heard that there were homes at the bottom of your hill that were evacuated. Are you safe where you are?

Keep us posted. Thinking of you tonight.

Can you get out with your pets? Please be careful and let us know if you can how you are!

I packed up, prepared to evacuate if they should, but it is contained now. That's good, I wasn't looking forward to loading up the dog and two cats that don't like to travel and traveling the long winding back way through wilderness...the usual way up/down the mountain was closed as the fire jumped the road.

I am so glad you are safe as well as Arlie and your kitties. I hope it stays contained now.

After I just sent you a message, I read this. Hope you stay safe. These fires are really wreaking havoc. It's too bad they can't pump the water from the places getting too much to the west.

Please stay safe and don't wait until it's too late.

I'm in Oakridge and very near USFS (government forest) land. We have a lot of fires here, but this one was in residential. I know all too well how quickly they spread and get out of control so I was prepared to leave if need be, although I don't know where I'd take my dog and cats...perhaps Jim's, although I don't think the cats would stick around if relocated. It was a frightening thing to face. It's weird but I guess I've gotten more used to being alone and making decisions on my own. I've had to prepare to evacuate before but it's been many years and I had a husband then, it feels different when you're alone and responsible for pets. It's not feasible to get a motel in town when so many need one and you have pets, I'd have to drive 60 miles away and look for a place to rent if my home burned up. It's funny all the things that go through your mind. As I drove to church this morning, I drove through the fire area and there are still USFS personnel there and it's very smokey. I'm so thankful they were right on it...they're stretched so thin with so many fires at once.

Yes, I think we'd take some of the water that is flooding other states...SOME of it I said! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have some more fires now, they've been going a couple of weeks, but they're out of control. They tried a back fire and it backfired on them, it doubled in size overnight! The air quality is horrible, everyone's eyes/noses burning & itching. They're saying it won't be out until it snows! They're starting evacuations across town. It's frightening.

Kay, if you have to evacuate, do you have crates for the cats? Are they litter box trained or are they outdoor cats? I am so sorry you have this to deal with as you also grieve the loss of your mom. Do keep us informed, please.

Thank you for your prayers. They have 1,000 firefighters on it and helicopters dumping buckets of water. It doubled since yesterday. They started evacuating but it's the other direction, across town from me. This isn't a very big town (3,500 people) so that really isn't that far.

My cats are litter trained and they go in and out. I keep them in at night because of cougars. Kitty is terrified of dogs...she's gotten used to Arlie but it took her two years to get used to him. I don't know what I'd do with them, I have two crates but that's very temporary.

post-914-0-74907600-1409220465_thumb.jpgpost-914-0-46212600-1409220467_thumb.jpgpost-914-0-93161300-1409220468_thumb.jpgpost-914-0-26102400-1409220470_thumb.jpgpost-914-0-37535600-1409220472_thumb.jpgpost-914-0-57205400-1409220473_thumb.jpg

These are taken from different areas in town.

Kay, this is fierce. I pray you remain safe and that it keeps its distance from you.

My son lives quite a ways away and I have two cats which he doesn't like and they have dogs. It took my cat two years to get used to Arlie before she'd come in the house. If I take her there, they aren't going to like the cats in their new house, the cat will hide from the dogs, and if I leave them outside, they'll run away because they're scared and don't know what's going on. It's because of the cats that I am worried. Arlie would get along fine with their dogs, although my DIL doesn't like him so I wouldn't want to be there very long. My daughter lives in a fourth floor apt. and pays for her cats to be there, I'm not sure how my cats would get along with her cats, and the dog can't be there. The rest of my relatives say I can come but not the animals. It's a dilemma.

Kay,

That is a terrible dilemma that you have a place to go, but no place for all the animals to go.

I hope things work out for you very soon. The fire looks very bad. Living in a fire area, I know how rough it can be to try to breathe, think things through when the body is under stress, and even to be able to function at all normally. I am glad you have air filtration at home, and hope you can get some masks from somewhere, even though the fur family will not have that option. The evacuation people told us last year that as long as the animals are not stressed, not to worry too much about them, but everyone still does of course. We have horses and also cats and dogs around the neighborhood.

I guess about all we can do is pray that you get a lot of rain to help slowdown or control the fires. I am so sorry you have this on top of everything else.

namaste,

fae

Here's the weather forecast for my area: (at least it's cooling off, it's been 90 every day)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.802072337800396&lon=-122.39473392578122#.VACby2N0bwP

Let's pray God sees fit to send some rain! I think Oakridge would see dancing in the streets if that were to happen! I mean belly-laugh kind of rain!