Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Killed My Cat By Not Knowing He Was In The Dryer

reneebutch

My Lycan died on Friday the 17th 2014. I put a bunch of clothes in the dryer and walked away. Later went back and found him as soon as I opened the door. It was too late, he was gone. All because I was too lazy too check before loading my clothes. I haven't slept or eaten because I can't get the image out of my mind. This is my fault and he didn't deserve such a horrible death. He must have wondered why I wasn't saving him. If this does anything , I hope everyone checks dryers, wash machines, car engines, anyplace an animal may hide. Rip Lycan im so so sorry I failed you, I love you

I am so very sorry for your loss and especially for how it happened. I can only imagine how distraught you are. It is so difficult to lose a pet but these circumstances just makes it oh so much harder. This happened to a friend of mine many years ago and I have heard her tell me the story with tears in her eyes. Your warning is a wise one as it is so easy to forget to check places where cats and even small dogs can hide. I am sorry.

Dear Renee,

I too am so sorry to learn of the loss of your beloved cat, especially given the tragic circumstances of his death.

Horrible accidents like this do happen, and they can complicate the grief you're feeling now. I sincerely hope you will take some time to read through some of the threads in this forum, and follow the links to some of the recommended articles and resources that address matters of guilt, regret and forgiveness. You are not the first person to experience a loss like this, and you are not alone in your pain.

Your story reminds me of a post that appeared on our site ten years ago: I Accidentally Killed My Cat in the Dryer

And more recently,

I remember this happening to someone here maybe two years ago or so. I am so sorry you lost your cat. I lost my dog years ago, he'd climbed into our van unbeknownst to me and I parked at work with the windows rolled up, hot day, and when I got off work and opened the door...he rolled out into my arms. We beat ourselves up but we didn't know, we'd have done anything for them. It's a horrible feeling and we feel like we let them down, we failed them, but the truth is, we're human and we don't always foresee everything that could happen.