Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Just Really Missing My Dad

I lost my dad in May. I'm still feeling this something's missing in heart thing. It's been so long since I've seen him and heard his wonderful contagious laugh. I'm 28 years old and still need my dad. My dad passed away from this horrible disease called pulmonary fibrosis. My siblings and mom were all with him for his last breath. And it was the most terrifying thing I have ever seen. I'll never forget those last moments with him. I'll never forget the tears in my dads eyes when the doctor told him that he was gonna die in the next 48 hours. I miss my dad so much. That horrible disease took him away from his family way too young, he was only 67 years old. It's been a few months since he left but it still hurts so much. He was the best dad ever. I don't really know what brought me to this site. I just was looking for people on the same boat as me. So thanks

I'm so sorry for the reason that brought you here, my dear, but pleased to know that you've found your way to us. You are among kindred spirits, I assure you. The feelings you describe are normal, and the more you learn about what is normal in grief, the less "crazy" and alone you will feel. Please take some time to explore the various topics and threads in this forum ~ and when you feel up to it, tell us more about your dad. You said he was the best dad ever. In what ways? What was special about him? What are the legacies he has left you?

Good morning, Kim. I am so very sorry to hear that you lost your dad in May. Of course you are missing him. Losing a parent is really difficult. They were our protectors and we expected them to be with us for so many events in our lives. The people here understand loss and it does help to read other stories. I too am glad you found this place to come to and share your story.

Anne

Kim, Of course you feel you weren't ready to lose your dad, you are still so young. I was 29 when my dad passed at 62. It's hard knowing they miss seeing our kids grow up, etc...my dad never got to meet mine. I tell them stories about him though and let them know how proud he'd be of them. When you have special events and are esp. missing him, imagine him there with you and he will be, inside your heart and with you always. When my husband passed, I continued to hang his stocking at Christmas and anyone was free to write something to him and put it in his stocking. Perhaps you'd like to do something like that for your dad?

What was your dad's legacy to you? My dad's was his sense of humor, it has kept us going in the hard times. How is the rest of your family doing with it?