Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Getting On Top Of My Health

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Kay, you know that we will all be keeping you in our hearts and prayers. But I do understand what you mean by feeling so alone. Worrying about coming home with no one to stay with you. Glad you do have the neighbor who will be close by, and your daughter will be there in a day or so.

QMary

The more I learn about it, the more nervous I get. But I need to have this done, I got another attack last night and can still feel it today...five more days to wait. I want it over with. I found out my sister sent me some "fish I can eat"...I'm allergic to fish, have been for 30 years. I have myriads of dietary restrictions now for this reason or that, it's hard to know what to eat following surgery. They talk about juicing things I haven't heard of...I'm not going to be up to juicing! They act like everyone lives in a big city and has a husband that can run out and buy stuff and come home and fix it for you. Ha! I'm beyond caring anymore. I'll live somehow.

You will be just fine, Kay. Can you call the doctor's office and ask for a list of foods you'll be able to eat after surgery so you can get what you need in the house?

When Jim was alive he was sometimes not interested in food but he did like the ready made drinks like Ensure. They are safe for diabetics and have nutrients in them.

I also would have slow churn ice cream for him that is very low in sugar as long as you don't eat a pint at a time. :blush:

Some low sodium soups are good also.

Remember what we have learned about anticipation ~ it usually is worse before the actual day. That is how it will be for you these next few days. You will be much happier and relieved after your surgery.

It's kind of too late for that. I already made a trip to town (100 mile round trip) to buy the supplies I'd need. They hand out the "post op" information AFTER the surgery. The local supermarket charges 2-3 times as much as the stores in the city, I can't afford to shop there. I will get by with what I have. I can have chicken, rice, low-sugar juice. I can't find low sugar apple juice but did get cranberry. My sister is sending me mint tea. I have spinach in the freezer I can cook. And oatmeal if I can tolerate it. It will be a boring repertoire but I'll survive.

Dear Kay,

Some things I have learned in my research mode:

Cream of Rice is a wonderful, easily-digested breakfast cereal, with some brown sugar and perhaps milk or almond milk if you can have them. No fats, and kind to the tummy.

Chicken rice soup is easily prepared from a can, and kind to your body. I am eating more rice than usual.

I mix apple juice with water, about 1 part AJ to 2 parts H2O, and drink a lot of water every day to flush out toxins and help my body cleanse itself. It takes a few weeks or months after the surgery to get rid of the toxins and the medications.

Poached eggs provide all the amino acids and proteins that the liver needs to heal after the gall bladder is removed, and are easily prepared. I am eating lots of eggs right now. I hope you can eat eggs.

If they give you a menu card at the hospital, bring it home with you, especially if it is a restricted diet menu, because it will have ideas for meals on it. I brought home the gluten-free and full liquid diet menu cards, so I have a place to begin in planning meals.

Having no idea about your dietary restrictions, I realize that any of all of the above may not be much help to you, but you can also ask your doctor or one of the hospital nutritionists what you can eat the first couple of weeks. The nutritionists here weren't much help, but a hospital chef came to visit me, and he gave me some good ideas about what I could eat.

I am holding you in prayer and sending lots of healing thoughts your way.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Kay, boy do I get that, people that haven't been in our shoes, if I'm sick no one is coming knocking on my door to help. Last year when I had the flu and barely any groceries, I remembered a small asian place that delivered, I ordered several bowls of the chicken and rice soup and lived off it for days. Its frightening to feel that sick and still have to walk the dog in the rain, while having the chills and fever. But I survived, wouldn't wish this on anyone. I am so praying for you and a rapid recovery. If you need to talk call me, love you, Deborah

Thank you, all of you. My neighbor who is taking me to surgery will call Anne and give her a report afterwards. I won't be on line for a few days perhaps. Have to wait and see how I'm feeling afterwards.

I'm unable to have apple juice because of the high sugar content but stocked up on cranberry juice with no added sugar and peppermint tea. Have chicken noodle soup, am not supposed to have the noodles do to my diet so may drain them and add rice. Have been working all day to get things done...decided I want to rest up Monday in preparation rather than going into surgery exhausted. Have lots of Christmas movies recorded! :) I may be calling people after the first few days when the pain subsides a bit but will try to sleep the first couple of days if possible.

Dear Kay,

I will be with you Tuesday, staying close through the surgery. I know you are going to come through this with ease and healthy healing.

I will be holding you close in my heart. I'm also sending healing prayers your way, and I be watching for the report from Anne as well as your return to the forum.

fae

I probably won't have time to come on line before I leave tomorrow, but I want to let you all know how much your encouragement means to me, it helps to know you care and are thinking of/praying for me tomorrow and in the next couple of days. I will be back on line as soon as I am able to comfortably.

My neighbor injured his neck yesterday and is unable to turn it and it's predicted to snow over Christmastime so it looks like I'll be on my own and won't have help. I'll have to turn to God to help me, He's all I have.

Dear Kay,

Oh, goodness, this is not good news about your neighbor. I am sorry he is hurt, but more sorry for you to have no help. I hope your daughter can come early or stay longer.

I think if you tell them at the hospital that you have no help at home, they might keep you an extra day or two. Ask to see a social worker there. That happened to me during one of my stays this year. There was no one in town to help me, so they kept me at the hospital two more days.

Also, they might help you transfer to a rehab facility for a few days until you are stronger and better able to take care of yourself at home. I think that should be covered by insurance, but I am not sure.

We will be watching here to see what is going on and how you are doing.

fae

Oh my dear Kay, please call and let your surgeon's office know that you will not have help once released after surgery. They will not let you go home if you are going to be by yourself. You will need someone to drive you ~ who is that going to be? Is the neighbor the one who will be watching Arlie? I am so sorry that this is happening to you.

Fae and I were posting at the same time. I agree with her about talking to the social worker.

Good heavens yes, Kay, I agree with Fae and Anne. Is there anyone at your church who could help you at this time? Is your daughter aware of how badly you need her to step in at this point? I don't mean to bombard you with things you've probably already considered ~ but we are very worried about you and your post-surgical care. At the very least, do let the hospital folks know about your situation after discharge. I'm so, so sorry that you are so alone in all of this . . .

Know that we are holding you close in our hearts, in our thoughts and in our prayers

It's kind of hard to get home health care at Christmas. I just talked to my neighbor and he said his neck is feeling better. I have everything done, food to eat, pots/pans at counter level, mint tea made, wood up on the deck, Arlie's food and probiotics packed, the house is clean, fresh bedding, everything I could think of is done. I won't hesitate to call him if I need anything, the phone will be right next to me. I imagine I'll sleep a lot the first couple of days. Weather predictions say less than 1 1/2" snow combined for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and they'll be going home that night, she should be able to make it in that. If it's worse, I'll let her know and I'll call on my neighbor again...he doesn't have Christmas plans, his kids are in another state. And Jim said he wants to come before Christmas so perhaps he'll be here to help. I'm set. I'm glad I got my organizational skills from my mom, she was always very efficient, all of us got that from her. :) Missing her...

Thanks...leaving now.