Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Getting On Top Of My Health

Kay, I'm happy to hear that your son and DIL will be there for a bit, and are bringing you more food, will cut your wood, and be there to care for you. And I'm happy to read, over on the other thread, that you have movies and books. Keep resting and healing, and let other people do things for you. ASK your DIL to do anything you can think of that she might do, and your son as well. This is the time to receive all the help you can.

I know you are missing Arlie, and maybe he can come for a visit while your son is there to help keep him from being too excited.

*<twinkles>*

fae

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kay,

I pray you are feeling stronger, and that you will suffer no more lack. I'm very sorry you were without food from your church, which was apparently due to someone's failure to communicate. IF there is a positive from this bad thing that happened to you, it's that all of us who read about this can make a commitment to help others more than we ever have, and that if we are unable to fulfill our commitment/obligation, we need to do all we can to find someone to take our place.

We are reminded of tangible things that might need to be done for someone in need, and we have a reminder to ask which specific things we can do. I am learning to say specifically what my own needs are, which is difficult for me (I've always been the one to take care of the needs of others). I'm learning to not expect others to be mind readers. Subconsciously, I've sometimes expected those who care about me to just know, which hasn't been fair of me.

Your Christiany is showing through in your attitude (causing good things to come from a bad thing). I definitely would have been hurt and angry had I been left without food and care, and I would have called my church to say so. Then, like you, I would forgive, and determine to not let such happen to anyone else within my church---or to anyone outside it, if I'm aware of a need.

Blessings,

Carrie

My son didn't bring his chainsaw, said he didn't have enough room. When my neighbors heard about that, they hired someone to come up and cut it for me! The young men that showed up had problems with their chainsaw yesterday after just working an hour but said they'd be back up today to finish after church. I at least have enough to last through my healing from surgery.

My son and DIL did bring food with them, which is good because otherwise I would have had nothing to feed them while they were here for two days. As I wrote in another thread, things did not go well during their visit, so I didn't have Arlie here much, he was well behaved, never jumps on me, but it was a struggle to keep their dogs down. It's not the dogs fault, they let them jump up on them and horseplay too much, a habit they'll need to change before their baby comes.

My DIL fixed breakfast Friday morning, but that's all she did when she was here, which is more than usual. My son mopped the floor when the dogs spilled their water, and got wood in a couple of times, and helped me clear/wash dishes, but other than that, I pretty much did everything. I think my first instinct to tell them no they couldn't come while I was recuperating would have been better as I was exhausted by the time they left. I plan to rest the next three days and then Wednesday have to go to the valley for my check up on my incisions...I'm dreading it, it will be a long day as they make you wait for hours even if you have an appointment, and coupled with the long commute, it'll be a very long day.

Carrie, my response was no different than yours, I felt hurt and bewildered that my church left me hanging. I guess like everywhere, people can have good and bad points. Some things they seem to excel at while others they miss the mark on. The main thing is, God was in control and has been with me throughout this whole experience and has somehow managed to help me through everything I needed. I was the one that called the church and asked for help with meals in the first place...it's very hard for me to ask for help, but I did it because I needed it. Everything I'd prepared and frozen in preparation for my surgery, I found out upon my hospital exit I could not eat...then it was too late to cook something else! The hospital should prepare people better for what they can/can't eat AHEAD of time as not everyone has a husband around to take care of them.

Dear Kay,

I am remembering you in my prayers today and every day, and hope you are doing well, healing, and that people are helping you. I am so proud of you for asking for help. Good for you!

*<twinkles>*

fae

fae,

Today the young men came up and finished cutting the wood down to 15". I am so happy beyond belief! It was a real blessing.

Sammy and Arlie dug a hole and laid in it today so Rich brought Arlie home for a bath. He was so good and cooperative! He's really a good boy. I've trained him to get into the tub and endure the torture and then he gets an extra special treat. It took me quite a while as he was coated with dirt underside and inside his legs, it took a lot of spraying (he won't lie down in the tub). I'm keeping him tonight so he can dry off by the fire and spend some alone time at home and Rich will come get him tomorrow. He's luckier with Sammy as she's a lab, her fur is different...he puts her in the utility room for 30-60 minutes and her fur dries off and the dirt falls off, all he has to do is sweep up the floor afterwards. Not so with Arlie, he has cottony fur underneath that holds the dirt/mud. I discovered two more bite marks, two by his eye, one on the side of his snout. No more!

Other than Arlie's bath, I've rested all day, you'd be proud of me!

Kay, I am so glad you have firewood! I have both fires going tonight. It is 2F here right now.

I think Arlie knows that he needs to be gentle with you. I am glad you two had some peaceful bonding time, alone and safe, and that Arlie is now clean. I love that soft under fur, but it does hold dirt and mud. I am glad he was gentle and patient while you gave him a bath.

And I am sorry that you had a pack of criminal dogs there who hurt Arlie. I have had to put firm limits on the dogs I let into my home. One chewed up some blinds, and one vomited all over one of my oriental rugs. One knocked over a small child. I think you are within your rights to put your foot down.

I am so very glad you are resting. I hate not being able to work out and I know I am going to have a lot of training to do later, but right now, I also know that my energy is going into healing. Your is as well. We will be patient and focus on healing. Down on the Tools meditation thread, if you can access it, is a great General Wellness guided meditation by Belleruth Naparstek that Anne posted. I had been using it from there, but decided to buy it so I could have the affirmations as well. I listen to it twice a day while I focus on my healthy, vibrant, strong body. I can tell it is helping.

I am proud of you!!!! You are doing a great job of making it through this time, even with all you are going through. Just keep resting, eat eggs for perfect protein, and be very, very gentle with yourself.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you for the heads up on the Meditation, I'll look for it.

I can't believe I've gone through this alone and I'm making it. Not my druthers, but surviving it. It's nice having Arlie today. He's been very lethargic the last couple of times he's been home, I'm not sure if he's depressed over leaving Rich's house (he really has a great time there) or if he's reacting to my health situation and just being away from home so much. He does seem depressed. I wish I could walk him and perk him up. He doesn't even do his talking like he's been doing at Rich's.

Arlie knows you very well, dear Kay, and I'm willing to bet that he is tuning into your own energy level, reflecting back to you what he is picking up from you. I know that after every one of my surgeries, my beloved Beringer stayed right by my side and never showed an ounce of his usual boisterous personality. As long as Arlie's getting his exercise at Rich's house, he's probably happy for the rest when he comes home to you! Besides, look at the good example he is setting for you: REST, Mom!!!

:)

Siberian Husky and Golden Retriever. My last Golden Retriever was 120 lbs, but he wasn't the runt of the litter either!

Arlie is trailing the pack...

post-914-0-55375300-1420506402_thumb.jpg

they love to play in the snow, that was taken Friday. The white one is 1/2 Siberian Husky, 1/2 Shepherd, the middle one is purebred Siberian Husky, and Arlie follows. He was worn out after this excursion!

Oh, they are all so beautiful!

Kay, I am so glad Arlie is with you. He needed the comfort of his Mom while he works through the trauma of the $%^&* dogs, and I think you both need each other for emotional balance. So glad he is home.

I am finding that my energy bursts are transient. They last a little while, but then I feel completely drained. At first, they were only a few minutes, but now I have longer durations of energy. I also know that my body is still healing, and needs a lot of rest, so I am not ignoring the healing and resting.

I am just so happy Arlie is with you. I know you feel loved and protected with him there, and I think he feels the same way. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Oh fae, how I can relate, that is what happens to me too! I get a burst of energy but my strength quickly wanes as anything saps my energy. I dread tomorrow and pray for strength and endurance for what I must do! Already I can't wait to be back home and resting after the day is done. I will get better little by little, but this is why I have not gone to church or the senior center, I know it will wear me out. I'm aiming to return January 18, that will be soon enough. I will be back working on the treasury on the 19th as much as my endurance will allow.

Kay, as soon as you feel tired, take a short rest. Is someone driving you tomorrow? Is Arlie staying with your neighbor? I think it is too soon for you to go alone.

I am realistically allowing two full months to get back up to speed. I think you should as well. Your liver is also healing, and you have had major surgery, even if you only have little nips of incisions. You need to rest, drink copious amounts of fluids, and eat protein, preferable eggs and white chicken and fish.

If you are driving yourself, leave extra time to stop and rest along the way, and when you get there, see if you can find a place to lie down, even if it means using your coat for a pillow and reclining on a sofa in the waiting room. Your body needs every erg of energy it can get for healing. Be sure to take water, and maybe a couple snacks. I am worried about you.

Aim on returning to anything not less than 4 weeks out. You have been through a lot, not just the surgery, and you need to be very gentle and loving to yourself.

*<twinkles>*

fae

I made it home without much wait at the doctor's office...I talked to them about it when I arrived and let them know my stamina could not take a 3 1/2 hour wait again on top of an already long commute. They got me right in.

The findings were good, my healing is coming along as expected. I was able to get my groceries and get home early afternoon. I took Arlie to play at Sammy's and did real well. When I got home I collapsed and was good for nothing the rest of the night. I slept 9 1/2 hours last night, so I guess it must have exhausted me.

Although I am missing going to the senior site, I'm going to be patient and stay home and rest (see, fae, I'm listening). About to go walk Arlie and then come home and read.

My planned reentry to the church is two days shy of four weeks. If I have to, I'll come home before it's over.

Kay, I am so glad to hear the good report. And I know Arlie is happy you have some time and energy for him now. Yes, keep resting. I've had a very busy week, and I am taking the day off to nap and rest. I hope you are doing the same. :)

Keep healing and resting.

*<twinkles>*

fae

I am just fiddling around today, on the computer, reading, about to go lay down. :) I know you two know where I live...haha

Oh oh, I forgot...YOU know where I live too! ;)

Good report Kay, and so glad they paid attention to you, and got you in rapidly. You will feel better and better every day. Just listen to your body, and do not overdo.

I know you are happy to have Arlie home, and I bet he is just as happy as you.

QMary

We just got back from a short walk, the weather is beautiful again today, although it's about to turn to rain...can't complain, you all are having it so much colder!