Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Please Be Careful

Leftover

This is not an easy post to write and it doesn't have a happy ending, so be forewarned.

I went out this morning to get some treats for the dogs for their Christmas presents and was sitting at a stoplight. Across the intersection on the other side of the street, I saw what I first thought was a bird taking off. But it wasn't. It was a cat that had been hit by a car. His legs were flailing but he wasn't getting up. A number of cars drove past him without stopping so when the li...ght changed, I got myself turned around and came back because I couldn't just leave him there. Unfortunately, by the time I got to him, he was no longer moving and I think he was dead. I picked him up in a towel and took him to the vet at Alta Vista, which was a few blocks away. I told them what had happened and could they look after him and asked if there was anything I could do. To their credit, they told me no, and that they would take care of things. I can't even imagine the pain that poor cat was in, laying there in the street all alone. And now, it's Christmas Eve and some family somewhere is going to be looking for their kitty, and he won't be coming home.

I debated whether or not to write about this but decided if it encouraged even one person to be more watchful of their pets, it would be worth it. Please make sure your pups and kitties are safe- they are depending on you.

I hurt for the cat, the cat's family, and I hurt for you. It is truly a sad story, but I feel you needed to share it with the rest of us, rather than keep the hurt inside of you. You did right to remind us to be especially careful with our fur children.

As I prepare for Christmas dinner, I cry for our little Ashely, our Black and Tan Doxie who died of kidney disease in October. My double-oven stove worked as a trigger, and the tears poured, because she used to appear think the the bottom oven was hers. I use it only at holiday time, and she sat in front of it to watch the food until it was served. I now dread seeing the cute photos of her sitting there. I must stop my tears and "suck it in," because my not-so-well husband, Jerry, will cry with me. We both grieve for her, and I am afraid for him.

Thank you for posting, and I agree with Marty. I, too, am glad there are such kind people like you in the world. It's refreshing.

Carrie

I'm sorry you witnessed that and even sorrier for the cat. I'm glad you showed some humane compassion. I had an experience like that once, over 20 years ago, and it's haunted me ever since. I was on my way to work, and after I dropped the kids off at school, I saw a large beautiful dog that had been hit by a car. He obviously couldn't make it and needed put out of his misery. The vet only comes up once a week, on Wednesdays, and this was a Wednesday, but they don't open until 9 and it was over an hour away. A cop stopped and I noticed he had a gun...I begged him to put the dog out of his misery, he had blood coming out of every orifice but he refused. He made me leave, and I went to work with tears pouring down my cheeks...in my distress, I didn't notice I'd sped up before the bridge instead of after and I got pulled over and given a ticket. I was very upset with the lack of compassion of the cops that day. Sometimes people need to use common sense and compassion, especially for helpless animals. I will never ever forget that dog looking up at me, begging me with his eyes...to do something.

Kay, I am SO sorry that happened to you, and to that poor dog! What a terrible thing! I totally agree with you that the dog should have been shown mercy, and put out of its misery. Is it possible there was a law that prevented the policeman from shooting it in that particular place at that particular time? I hesitate to ask you that question (and please forgive me, if I shouldn't have), but I just can't imagine him refusing to help the dog had he the authority to do so! There was no mercy or justice for either of you that day. To get a ticket after what you'd just been through is so bad. The prolonged agony of the dog upsets me, and unlike you, I didn't have to witness it.

I know the look you describe, I think. I've seen a Husky die an agonizing death due to peritonitis. It was a neighbor's dog, who had been making a horrible sound for quite some time before I learned the source of the sound, and the location from which it was coming. The dog was on our neighbor's upper back deck. The neighbor was at work, so my daughter and I put Spirit onto a blanket, and managed to get her down the stairs, and into our car (no easy feat). She died, screaming, on the way to the vet. It was horrible.

Ashely suffered so much as she died, and before. It took her so long to die. Even so, I'm told that it was a "good death." I love the vet who came to our house, but if that's a good death, I'd surely hate to witness a bad one. I am responsible for some of her pain the day she died, which is very, very hard to live with. The vet told me to give her 5 mg of Valium before she arrived. Ashely's usual vet prescribed a pill that was supposed to simply cause her to go to sleep (not die), and it was supposed that Ashely wouldn't even be hurt by the needle that would take her life. That seemed a better idea, so I chose that pill over the Valium. It didn't happen that way. That's a choice that makes me so sorry and so sad. The Valium would have been a better choice. I know this too late. You used the word "haunted." That's a good word for how I feel about making the wrong choice for Ashely, my baby girl. I try hard to keep Jerry from seeing me cry, for he breaks down at times, and I don't want more regret.

This has been a day for tears for Ashely, although it's Christmas Eve; perhaps it's because it's Christmas Eve. I've missed her so much "helping" me in the kitchen by keeping close watch on "her" oven. Dang triggers anyway!

Carrie

I'm so sorry, any time would be hard, but somehow Christmas seems even more so. :(