Grief Healing Discussion Groups

It's Officially Happening So Quickly

Butch,

I said in an earlier post that I could only imagine your great agony of soul. That statement is inaccurate. I was wrong. I cannot even begin to imagine what agony you are experiencing. Like Kay, I believe no one is ever asked to make a harder decision than to say that it's time. I have no eloquent words of comfort for you (how I wish I did!), but please know that like so many others here, I care from the bottom of my heart. I pray God will bless you with all the strength and stamina you need now and in time to come.

Blessings and hugs,

Carrie

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, Butch.

Butch,

I'm more of a reader than a poster on here, but I came across your thread and have been following it for a little while. I'm so sorry to read your posts about your wife going through ALS, it can't be easy.

I've been reading the replies from other members of this forum and it's so lovely for me - you probably find it incredibly heart-warming - to read the support from everyone. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I hope it's fractionally easier because of all of the heart-felt support you and your wife receive here on this forum.

Amy

Mary is now in heaven...I've posted Butch's email in "loss of spouse" section...it's no longer anticipatory.

Thank you, dear Kay, for keeping a watchful eye on Butch and Mary through their ordeal, and for keeping us informed. I am grateful that Mary's part of this is over, and that she now can rest in eternal peace. I also know that Butch's pain has just begun, in a whole different way, and our hearts just hurt for him . . .

This thread breaks my heart. I see I posted this on Christmas Day. I didn't even realize. And these short days later... It's all such a blur.

I just want to go back and save my love.

But I don't think her last days that I would change anything. It all went so fast. But our connection never failed. I wouldn't want that any other way than having the unspoken connection of our hearts.

Dear Butch,

I remember those early days, when all I wanted was to go back and fix things so that Doug was still here. But, yes, knowing that we had that forever connection, that the love is still there, and that we were both holding the cords of love and connection, no matter what, helped me to get through the first many months. Doug's last days were at home with me, and I am so very thankful that he was here, in our bed, able to hold hands, talk, and be together through the beginning of his next adventure. There is nothing that could replace those last few days.

I am in that cycle of time again now: Doug left on February 7, 2012, and I am simply letting the love and the memories carry me this year, mostly remembering the good times before he got sick, and also remembering all the talks we had those last couple of weeks. I am both comforted and missing Doug, but thankful the connection is still here.

Butch, as you walk through these very difficult early days, I am so glad that you know that the connection you have with Mary will not fail. No matter how your sense of loss may shift and change, the Love will endure. Peace to your heart, and know that I am holding you in prayer and in my heart every day.

Blessings,

fae

Dear Fae,

I'm so sorry you are approaching three years without your love, Doug. I'm glad you had him home in your own bed in his final days. I know how precious that time and connection is.

Hugs,

Butch

Thinking of you both as you remember...yes, that love connection can never be broken, it was all too real, consuming, precious.