Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Coping With This "new Life"

Hi everyone I'm so, so sorry I haven't been on here for so long. A lot has happened during this year. I certainly did NOT forget about you all in this group, I have just been coping with everything as best as I can. I have moved into a new house with my daughter, son-in-law & 2 grandkids. I am still going to my Grief Support Group monthly & I still go to my Therapist every 2-3 weeks depending on how things have been. I took my daughter & granddaughter to Texas to visit with my brother & sister & their families over the summer when mine & my husbands Anniversary was & that definitely was a HUGE help for me!!!! I am still working (same job). So I just wanted you all to know that I'm still coping & have not forgotten how you all have helped. I do hope everyone else has been well. I hope no one is upset that I haven't been on here & that I am still welcome to talk with you all, because as I have always said "I try to accept any help/advice that I can get". This pain will never go away but I am willing to learn as much as I can from everyone on how to continue living this "New Life". Thank You for listening!!

Of course no one is upset with you! You are free to come and go as you desire here, this is a place of encouragement and help for those who need it, and I'm glad you're doing as well as you are. I know, it's ongoing. I'm glad your trip to TX was a help to you, the timing sounds good as well! Good to hear from you again!

Welcome back and thank you for updating us on your activities since your last visit. You seem to be doing just what you need to do as you continue to walk your grief journey. As we heal, we find a "new" way to go about our daily lives. The pain will always be there to remind us of our loses, but we learn to carry that pain as we focus on all the wonderful memories.

One of the threads that has helped me over the months is Tools for Healing that is on the main page of this discussion forum. It is filled with so many helps. Check it out if you have not already done so. Your openness to "learn" will only be a positive.

Anne

Yes, and the Living With Loss thread!

Thank You. I will read those if I have not already done so. I have seriously read a lot & still reading things. I feel that I can always find something new to learn from each thing I read. At least I'm trying. Right now that's what I find that I need to do to help me.

I think my life is about to take another turn in the wrong direction. I am doing as much as I possibly can to find positive ways to help me through this terrible grief journey. Now my cat (second to get sick within the past 2 years) is not doing well & I'm getting a BAD feeling about her health. She has not been able to hold anything down, no food or fluids. I had her to the Vet a few weeks ago because she just kept throwing up constantly & he gave her IV fluids, Steroids, IV Reglan & started her on medication for Hyperthyroid. She did okay for about a week - week 1/2. He gave me medicine to give her at home & I did but now she's back to throwing up again. She's so sad. This is NOT FAIR!!! She has been with me since she was 6 weeks old & she lost her best friend - my other cat - 2 years ago & last year she lost her buddy (my husband) - that she took to after the other cat died. She is 14 years old (the same age my other cat was when she died) and I know they don't live forever but SHE comforted me when I lost my husband. She has been together with me through EVERYTHING!!!! I can't stand the thought of possibly losing her. I just don't get it. Why can't we have some peace once in a while. Why do we always have to have this pain????????

I don't know, I'm just sorry you're going through this. I lost my cat (also named George as I had him before I met my husband) about a year after my husband died. I got a new cat, Chappy 3 1/2 months after my husband died, and only got to have him a year or two when a cougar got him. I asked myself the same question as you're asking now, I thought, God, can't you let me have anything???! My husband's cat Tigger ran away two months after his death,

I would take your cat back to the vet as you don't want her to suffer, but be prepared for the possibility he won't be able to do anything since he's already tried. How has she been getting around other than not keeping her food down? Does she have pain?

Please keep us posted as to how she's doing and what you find out. Does the vet know what's causing it?

Well I called the Vet today & gave him an update on how she has been, and today again like all the other days that I call him, she is eating (small amounts) & keeping it down. So of course it has me Hopeful & Excited, but she is still not back to her usual self. I should know more tomorrow when I talk with the Vet cause I had to go to work so I just left him a message & he called back while I was at work & said for me to call him tomorrow. She does have Hyperthyroid but I haven't been able to get medicine into her. He also had her on a Steroid but when I gave it to her on Friday she started throwing up again, so I don't know. It seems like any time she is able to hold down food & fluids & I start giving the medicine again, then she starts throwing up. But he did tell me that having the Hyperthyroid can cause vomiting also. So I just don't know what to think, there's no rhyme or reason, there's no pattern that I see but I have been through this just 2 years ago with my other cat - she got so sick I had to have her put down & that just tore me apart. Also when I went through this before I had my husband there to help, comfort & support me. I couldn't have done it without him. He was the one who went back with our cat & held her paw & stayed with her until she was gone. I was too upset. I couldn't handle it. I hugged her, kissed her, held her & talked to her then handed her off to my husband & RAN out of the office & waited in the car. My husband took care of that part of it. So I don't know and I'm just going on & on here - I'm sorry to keep rambling. I guess we'll find out more tomorrow. As for tonight - she did eat a little bit & she is keeping it down (fingers crossed) right now. I just LOVE her sooo much. I will do anything to help her!!!!! My husband used to tell me that she was my "Love Cat". He said - You really do love her. My response was "Yes, I Love Both My Cats". (Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb - is what my husband would call them sometimes, cause they would get in trouble together sometimes) Oh well, enough of my blubbering, time for sleep and "Hope & Pray" for better things tomorrow!!! :unsure:

I am so sorry you are going through this. I am saying prayers for you and your precious cat. I hope she will be ok. It is a good sign she is keeping something down. I have a dog and I would feel the same way, I would do anything for him. Keep us posted. I will be praying and thinking of you.

**Hugs**

Shalady

I send you hugs, and join the others here who are so sorry you are hurting. I lost my little Ashley (photo) on October 10 to kidney disease at age fourteen. Our other baby, her cousin Callie, also has kidney disease. If Callie can live to June 29, she will have lived to age fifteen. I weighed her last night, and she has lost weight (from 9 to 8.5 lbs), and her breath has the telling smell of urea. I tell you these things to let you know that I know somewhat of your fear of another loss. Many here understand, and we hurt for you. I send you warm hugs, and I will pray for you.

Blessings,

Carrie

What did the vet say (assuming you've talked by now)? Being as that's the pattern, it makes me wonder if the medicine is causing her to vomit. Does it abate soon after? Hoping with you...

Yes I talked with the Vet today & he suggests that I just watch her throughout the weekend & see if she continues to keep things down & not give her any medicine, then I will call him on Monday to see where to go from there. He said the Hyperthyroid can definitely make her vomit like that, but it could have been the medicine, or it still could be that she is sick, we just don't know at this point. She is in Kidney Failure - but she has been with this for over a year now & it really hasn't gotten any worse - she gets blood work done. So I don't know, I'm just happy she is able to keep a little bit down. And that's all she eats - is a little bit. But it's something. I too have been praying, so maybe all the prayers are helping. I Thank You ALL for the prayers. My other cat that I lost was from Kidney Failure also. Ironic my husband was dying from the same thing, but Septic Shock got to his heart first. Thank you for talking with me, it really does help to be able to talk to people that have either gone through or are going through the same thing. My husband & my Cats are my ENTIRE life & I have found myself becoming much more Spiritual & Praying a lot !!!! Will keep you all posted

I'm glad she's holding a bit down, maybe feeding her a little and more frequently? Here's hoping it continues going better.

That is great that she is still keeping down the food. It sounds like great advice from Kay to feed her a little and more frequently. She will get some strength back. I know how upsetting this must be and I continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

Shalady

Hi All. I'm pleased to say that we had a GREAT weekend so far. My cat "Chica" has been eating & drinking since Wednesday & no vomiting. I'm so happy!!!! I don't know what I would do without her?? She's going to be 15 on July 27. So I will do whatever I can to keep her Happy& Healthy. So I'm feeling a bit heavy hearted tonight, I'm thinking that I was preoccupied with worry about my cat & I'm feeling like the sadness & pain of missing my husband is starting to hit me. I don't know, I'm just thinking about him a lot today & missing him soooo bad. I would do anything just to see & hold him one more time. Anyhow enough about me. I hope you all are doing well. I will keep you all in my prayers as I know this journey is very difficult. Goodnight for now. Love & Hugs to all !!

I'm so glad your cat is doing better, I hope it keeps up! My cat is 19 and my other one is getting old but I don't know her age, so I know what it is to worry about losing them. Yes, sometimes something else can serve as a distraction and when that's removed the grief hits us hard again.