Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Last Counselling Session

Jenjen2

I've been having counselling sessions for 7 sessions now and have just had the last one

It's quite strange for the past few sessions I've found it quite difficult I honestly didn't see a way forward my counsellor even said the cruse offer usually 7 sessions but she thought I might need more then yesterday while relaxing I suddenly had the thoughts that I wasn't to blame and shouldn't feel guilty

Through feeling like that we divided together that it was time for our sessions to end I do feel quite anxious about it at the moment but I'm sure it's the right thing

I don't know if your counselor offered or suggested it, JenJen, but if you both still "think I might need more" than those seven individual sessions, you might consider transitioning to an in-person grief support group, and asking your counselor for a referral to one. See, for example, Grief Support Groups: What Are The Benefits? ~ and be sure to see the Related Articles at the base as well.

JenJen,

Listen to your heart...if you feel you need something more, then maybe you do. Perhaps, like Marty suggests,a grief support group might be the natural transition rather than counseling sessions. It's worth a try!

I agree with the earlier sentiments. I've been going to counseling for grief work the past 14 months and I still see a benefit from it.

I wouldn't put an arbitrary number on it if you don't have to. If you feel the need to go to more than 7, try to go to more than 7. If it's not possible, look into group counseling sessions or bereavement counseling -- if you call your health insurance, they'll direct you to someone in-network.

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I have been seeing an individual grief counselor since my mother died in February. I am at that point where I don't see what else I can get from this really good counselor, but not where I am okay on my own. I signed up for a support group that starts later in September, and meets for 8 sessions. I wish that were happening now, and feel like I need something in the meantime, which is why I joined this forum. People mostly don't want to hear about my grief, so it's helpful to be in the right company.

Cleo

Cleo,

It does help to express your feelings and know you're heard by people who have been there and understand.

When we look for help through counseling, we often wish for what none of them can give. What I refer to is to stop the pain. Counseling helps indeed but it's not a cure all. What I gained was encouragement and tools to fight off pressures that come with grief such as dealing with relatives, guilt, sleeping, and others.  What helped me the most was a friendly ear from those further down the road than I. The kind of people I found here. I could always come here late at night when the demons came, and read for hours. I learned not to fight it. Grief just sucks and it always was going to. I hated every waking moment but I kept the faith that I could one day be where others further down the road were. I read a lot of books too which I had to read over and over because the fog in my brain made them hard to grip.  It just is that way you see?  We have to go through it not around it even though when we get to the other side we're covered in goo, we're not crying so much. A little perhaps but not as much. The coolest thing is when you get there you realize that you still love them but you smile in the memory more than you thought you ever could have.

If you look back at the early writings of members who now are years on this site, read what they felt when they first arrived here. Quite insightful.

Edited by KATPILOT

Yes...go to any of our homepages and click on our activity...click to the beginning pages and you'll find our earliest grief...everything we felt and struggled with...not unlike you.