Grief Healing Discussion Groups

"i Never Went Away" (Poem & Link To Pic)

Maylissa

As such things always are for me, this poem & accompanying pic left me bawling, longing, yearning....and thoroughly impatient for the end of this journey in exchange for that soulful, limitless reunion with my revered furchildren, and all the other blessed feline loves they sent my way, now all gone on 'before' me in this dastardly linear time construct...

ghost_dog_with_little_girl-235x315.jpg

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.

Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

Author ~ unknown

Edited by MartyT
Picture inserted

This is one of my favorite poems, Maylissa. Thank you for posting it and the picture is just too precious.

I still so miss my Benji, but I am forever grateful that he came into my life when he did.

I've never really thought of seeing him again. Sometimes my heart really aches to have him still with me.

It is so encouraging to think that there is that possibility of seeing our furbabies again.

I have had one dream of Benji that left me shocked but in a good way.

On one of our adventures to our small park here in my community, Benji loved playing in the grass. We were walking around the circle and Benji's head went down near a bush and before I knew it he had a bird sticking out of his mouth! I was horrified that it would get stuck in his throat so without thinking I put my hand in his mouth, grabbed the bird and threw it away.

My dream was Benji talking to me saying I wouldn't eat it I was bringing it to you! Yeah, right. Anyway, it made me smile and miss him so much. I don't think we ever get over our furbabies being gone.

Anne

Hard to read without crying...I saved this because I know the day will come I will need to read this. The hardest thing in the world, saying goodbye to our beloved companion. It helps to know they're still here with us in spirit.

• 2 months later...

Oh my - that poem really hits "home".

Glad I came across it here today.

Tho I'd have a kitty shadow in the image it is marvelous.

Marj & Hamish missing our Gb

Maylissa,

I must be among the very few who feel like once their dog or cat has left them, that it's almost like they were never here. With Lucy, I had those couple of incidents that seemed to come from her, and with Allie, it was the violets and little blue flowers that I spotted in the yard right after we came home from the ER when we lost her. But since then, I don't feel their presence at all - it's like they were never here. It makes me really sad because at the same time, I miss them so much. Doesn't make sense, but that's how I feel.

Mary

Maylissa,

I must be among the very few who feel like once their dog or cat has left them, that it's almost like they were never here. With Lucy, I had those couple of incidents that seemed to come from her, and with Allie, it was the violets and little blue flowers that I spotted in the yard right after we came home from the ER when we lost her. But since then, I don't feel their presence at all - it's like they were never here. It makes me really sad because at the same time, I miss them so much. Doesn't make sense, but that's how I feel.

Mary

Mary - I get that feeling and i get really scared.d

But I have so many photos of my Gb that are as precious as gold.

Marj

May tomorrow be softer

May our soulmate stay close always

I can hardly look at the few pictures I have of Allie. Most of the pictures of her were on our old computer, and we are in the process of having someone get them onto a thumb drive because we were having problems with the computer. Hopefully, we will be able to do that.

Her ashes are in a small box on my nightstand. But somehow when I look at it, I just doesn't sink in - or I don't let it sink in.

One thing I did several years ago after we lost 2 of our dogs that we had had for years was to buy a battery operated candle that has a timer on it. I have it in a really pretty candle holder with a glass cover. It's on the fireplace hearth in the family room. It comes on every night about 6:00 and stays on until after we go to bed. When I look at it after it comes on, it almost makes me feel like the dogs are here with us.

I do think that things like reading a poem or the candle are ways to help us cope with losing our babies.

Mary

Mary,

I have felt that way about my husband, I have literally checked his birth, marriage, and death certificates to see if he really did live here, really did have a life with me or was it a figment of my imagination? It's weird! We were everything to each other and inseparable, but in time it feels like...did he really exist? I have proof, I have pictures of us together, I can see his handiwork in the things he did around here, but it feels like I've lived my aloneness for so long now.

Kay, that must be so difficult. Maybe it is our brains way of protecting our heart. If we could easily visualize them here with us and then have to force ourselves to realize they are gone, it would be like reliving their death again. You can tell by your picture that you two were very happy together.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...

I can hardly look at the few pictures I have of Allie. Most of the pictures of her were on our old computer, and we are in the process of having someone get them onto a thumb drive because we were having problems with the computer. Hopefully, we will be able to do that.

Her ashes are in a small box on my nightstand. But somehow when I look at it, I just doesn't sink in - or I don't let it sink in.

One thing I did several years ago after we lost 2 of our dogs that we had had for years was to buy a battery operated candle that has a timer on it. I have it in a really pretty candle holder with a glass cover. It's on the fireplace hearth in the family room. It comes on every night about 6:00 and stays on until after we go to bed. When I look at it after it comes on, it almost makes me feel like the dogs are here with us.

I do think that things like reading a poem or the candle are ways to help us cope with losing our babies.

Mary

I love the idea of that candle. Do you know where it can be purchased?

Marj,

I found it at a little shop in Amish Country. If you have any gift shops nearby or maybe even Target or Kohls, they would probably have them. You can set it to either turn off and on manually or set it to come on and then go off 4-6 hrs later (can't remember how long ours stays lit). I later found the candle holder with glass covering for it at the same store. I have a few that take small batteries but they don't last very long. This candle is probably 6-8" high and takes either C or D batteries so you don't have to change them very often.

Mary

I've also seen plug in candles, they look very real.

Marj,

I found it at a little shop in Amish Country. If you have any gift shops nearby or maybe even Target or Kohls, they would probably have them. You can set it to either turn off and on manually or set it to come on and then go off 4-6 hrs later (can't remember how long ours stays lit). I later found the candle holder with glass covering for it at the same store. I have a few that take small batteries but they don't last very long. This candle is probably 6-8" high and takes either C or D batteries so you don't have to change them very often.

Mary

Thanks, Mary --- been looking online.

Then I remembered I do have battery candles that I use at Christmas - they are plain and will work well.

Sometimes i find it difficult to think.

• 1 month later...

This picture and the accompanying poem struck such a chord with me as it surely did the rest of you.  I take comfort in the poem, and having seen this picture, when I am sitting on the couch, I try to picture Spooky resting his head against my shoulder as this spirit doggy is doing with the little girl.

It also reminds me of countless times when Spooky would be glued next to me on the couch with his adorable little chin resting on my leg with his eyes closed in perfect contentment.

~ Mia ~

I haven't been here for quite awhile again (and I see the format has changed again!), but always did mean to respond back.

1) THANK YOU BIG BUNCHES, Marty, for getting that image on here properly, since I clearly didn't know exactly how to do it myself! Without the pic, it just doesn't have the same impact, so many ((((((((hugs!!!!)))))) for that!!! :wub:^_^

2) I'm glad so many of you are familiar with &/or appreciating this poem and pic. (like some of you, I too, would have a feline form in it instead, but the sentiment remains the same)

3) Despite knowing my furkids are still around me, at times I also experience that surreal feeling that makes one wonder, "were their lives with me all just a beautiful dream I made up?" It's an awful feeling, to be sure, and the more time that passes, the harder it's becoming to recall all the moments and memories of our shared lives. I've been through "too much" since, so it sadly seems my memory just isn't what it used to be. That in itself is heartbreaking, as if their time here is being slowly and inevitably 'erased,' and I hate it!

That being said, there are blessed moments like this, too...

Just a day ago I was having a horrendous time of things, and felt so sick at heart and destitute (and many other debilitating feelings), I didn't know (again) how I would ever go on anymore. Couldn't sleep, so got up in the middle of the night, and realized I hadn't yet flipped my "Cat Page-A-Day Gallery" calendar [ http://www.workman.com/products/9780761183556/ ] to the next day's entry, so did that. Well!!!....lo and behold, my darling Nissakins had come through for me EXACTLY when I really needed her (&/or Sabin, her brother) to! Here was this amazing close-up of a grey, SH'd cat's beautiful, fuzzy-soft snoot, with the same colour of her nose too, looking SO much like what I always got to see up close, whenever she and I would have massive kissing sessions together several times each day!!!!  Omg...as I always am, I was just BLOWN AWAY and SO immensely grateful for yet another serendipitous and Divinely-timed demonstration of FUZZY-PINK LOVE from my precious, and timeless girl!!!!!!!!! :wub::wub::wub: 

As well, when I was away on vacation recently and we were driving through an area we'd visited not long after we'd lost our girl, where she and her brother had sent a MASSIVE rainbow just as we arrived, and frankly, all throughout that previous trip (mainly when it wasn't even raining around us!), here was one AGAIN, purrfectly perched above the lake we were driving alongside!! :D This sending me rainbows while away for either any extended stay, or even just day-trips, has become an utter CLASSIC between us, and no trip would be complete without it. But I always ask them to be with me when I go away, and so they never let me down....even now, very close to 9 Years (in a few days) after Nissa's transition, and over 15 Years after Sabin's. My love for them just keeps growing, on and on, endlessly...

But the main point being -- I believe they NEVER truly leave us, much as it may feel they have. -_-

Edited by Maylissa

Beautiful, Maylissa.  Thank you.   I really appreciate the thoughts of others who have so loved their furkids.

Marj, Hamish and Angel Gb

I'm glad that was your experience and appreciate your coming here to share it with us.  We cry because we want to have them back in our arms in the way it was, and have to remind ourselves we will see them again and as we know, energy doesn't die, it merely changes form.

Marj, I love how you now refer to Gb as Angel Gb, which is so true!  Our furbabies were angels here on earth, and will certainly continue to be angels in heaven!  Wouldn't it be great if we knew all the lost furbabies in this group are already acquainted and enjoying each others' company in heaven.  What fun that would be to see!

~ Mia ~