Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grieving For My Angel Princess

Kennedy's momma

I lost Kennedy, my precious Yorkie, on March 3. She was rescued from a puppy mill in 2009, and I adopted her a few months later. Although the mill said she was four at that time, she may have been several years older. Our vet wasn't sure until close to the end when he said she must be 12 or 13.

She'd had congestive heart failure for the past two years. Last fall, her kidney function started to fail so the vet put her on Omega 3 and tests her blood every three months. She was also losing her eyesight. I was uneasy because I hated to think of losing her. She was with me through several major losses. I called her "my angel on four paws." With her, I never felt alone.

Then, she got sick toward the end of February. The vet put her on an antibiotic; she got better for a few days but then became listless. On March 2, we saw the vet. He did blood work and she was in renal failure. He gave her 2 weeks to possibly 2 months, although he felt 2 months was optimistic. I desperately wanted to be optimistic, too! He was afraid to do the subcutaneous fluids because of her heart failure and possibility of overwhelming her lungs with fluid, but we tried another antibiotic and I brought her home.

Late the next day, she started having trouble breathing. I had the sick sensation that it was near the end so I called a friend and neighbor to take us to the vet. When we got there, the vet was shocked because Kennedy's lungs were filled with fluid when they'd been clear only 24 hours earlier. Her lungs, heart and kidneys all seemed to be shutting down so I had to make the difficult decision to let her go. I don't doubt that I did the right thing, but I am lost without her.

My friends and co-workers have been very kind and supportive, I feel lost without her. Instead of being my angel on four paws, she is my angel princess in Heaven with the rest of the family.

I've had many other dogs, loved them all, and grieved for their passings--but the loss of Kennedy seems worst of all.

post-17273-0-22639000-1427505423_thumb.j

My heart goes out to you, she looks so precious. How hard to think she's one age and suddenly find out she's older and you're going to lose her! My dog was a rescue dog and I've only had him six years, he's seven now, but at 132 lbs. he's not likely to live a very long life, they say he's the equivalent of 64 now because bigger dogs age faster. I can imagine your loss...I've also lost many dogs and cats, but losing my Arlie will be the hardest I'm sure.

I wish there was something I could say to bring you comfort. I'm glad you have faith and know she is waiting for you with the rest of your family.

Thank you so much! Although Kennedy got a decent report at her wellness check in December, I felt uneasy. I knew her CHF and renal function could suddenly cause issues (I already had two-legged family members and a friend who had similar experiences). On some level, I guess I knew she probably had weeks or months, not years. Still very hard.

Rescue pets are THE best! I hope your Arlie is well!

My granddoggy, Skye had these problems too. He lived for some time with incontinence and progressively lost his ability to walk. There was never a sweeter, happier dog, uncomplaining, I miss him more than words can tell, and it's been 1 1/2 years. Some pets are just so special, we'll always miss them.

I hope you find another furry friend to share love with. I know it won't replace Kennedy, nothing could do that, but you are a special person that any dog would love to have for his/her mama.

• 3 months later...

Im so sorry. What wonderful little dog. There are certain dogs that we bond to in a special way, for some reason. It is so difficult to let go of them. It sounds like she had a wonderful long life with you and she was very lucky to have you, just as you were lucky to have her. Prayers & hugs for you.

Hello - what an adorable princess. So sorry for your loss. We have these very special companions that come into our life. And it sure does

hurt when they must leave.

You have come to the perfect place. because we all are with you in the ongoing grief.

Thanks to all of you for your beautiful words and kind thoughts. I still have some bad moments, so it really does help to know there are wonderful people who understand and empathize. I wish none of us had to go through the loss, but if we didn't love our precious pets so much, we wouldn't grieve for them so deeply.

I'm not ready for another dog yet; I know so many need homes--even Yorkies--so I will adopt again. Everyone says I'll know when the time and dog are right. Not yet.

Thank you again and hugs for all who also mourning. :wub:

I couldn't agree more!