Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost My Heart Dog One Week Ago Today

Kacy

Marj,

Part of the reason why I want to pursue this is that neither one of the two regular vets I talked to about Allie's autopsy were able to adequately explain the histiocytic pneumonia that was mentioned on the report. They were both familiar with the term "histiocytic" but not used with pneumonia. I am hoping since this vet I am in contact with is a pathologist, that he will be able to explain it further.

I think when all of this is going on with our pets, we are just in such a state of shock. You're right - it is a traumatic event. I'm glad you were able to get the information you needed from the vet about Gb's xray, even though it is always difficult to hear these kinds of things.

Mary

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mary -

Some vets are more happy to explain than others. And some are more informed. when you think of all the types of "parents" they have to deal with I think sometimes

they just want to give the minimum. And some are afraid of being sued.

I sincerely hope you can get clear explanation.

That helps even when it is not happy information.

Marj

I'm so glad you were able to retrieve the pictures, they are adorable! I know it's hard to look at them, very wistful & sad.

Wonderful pics, mary. I'm so glad you posted them.

Pretty normal to feel wistful and sad.

Wistful is such a good word. Says volumes to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I have not posted here in a while. Thank you for the comments about my babies! I am still having difficult dealing with the loss of Allie and have found that my only salvation is just to stay busy.

I have found myself involved with trying to help a little Yorkie that was posted as free on Craigslist. She is about 12 yrs old and the person listing her stated it was her grandfather's dog, and he was not able to care for her anymore. She also stated she had a lump on her gums.

I contacted a local rescue group and they agreed to take her. She is darling (as you will see in the picture), unfortunately, the lump turned out to be oral melanoma. If it would have been caught earlier, they would have been able to possibly do surgery. But it is now inoperable. They are suggesting palliative treatments to possible give her more time. Without the treatments, they are saying possibly 4-6 months. This is only the regular vet's estimate. She has not been seen by the oncologist yet.

We went to meet her at Petsmart last Saturday and, as I said, she is just precious. She apparently doesn't now she is 12 and that she has cancer. She was very interested in everything going on around her and didn't seemed fazed by any of it. The woman who runs the rescue is fostering her - possibly as a hospice case, but we have not given up just yet.

They are raising funds thru a GoFundMe account to see if we can raise the money for radiation treatment that would hopefully lessen her pain and extend her life for maybe a 1 yr or more. Hopefully, quality time. My husband and I are going to pay for the consultation with the oncologist and then hopefully, the rescue can pay for the treatments. But we felt like they needed to know exactly what they are dealing with. I'm hoping by some miracle that the regular vet is wrong, since she did not do a biopsy. But if not, as long as the oncologist feels this would help her, we are going to try.

Wanted to post a picture of her. She hasn't been professionally groomed and looks a little shaggy, but with some supplements the foster is giving, I think she's feeling better - at least her skin issues are clearing up.

Anyway, I think this is the only way I can deal with the loss of Allie, although my husband and I both got emotional at adoption event just seeing all of the dogs needing a home. I know taking her for treatments won't be easy for either of us, but since we are retired, it is easier for us to do. It is a 2 hr drive to Columbus where they do the radiation.

As always, thanks for listening! I'm so sorry for all that have recently lost one of their babies or, like me, are still mourning the loss.

Marypost-16621-0-05662100-1438883534_thumb.j

What a truly beautiful tribue to Allie and your love for all creatures great and small.

What a cute looking Yorkie.

Big hugs.

Thanks, Marj. We both know how devastating it is to have to let one of our little ones go. I feel so badly for this little dog. She was probably not very well cared for her whole life and now that she has a chance for a good home, she has to deal with cancer. I know this will not buy her years, but I do hope maybe a good year or so.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have not posted in a while.  I read most of the posts, but for some reason just find it difficult to write anything.  I do keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Today is now 4 months since I lost Allie and also 3 months for Marj and her sweet kitty, Gb.  When I look at the title of my post about it being a week since I lost my Allie, I can't believe the time has gone by so quickly.  Some days, though, it seems like 4 years instead of 4 months.  I miss her terribly.  LIfe is not the same.  Even though I have other dogs, Allie was the heart of the group. 

My husband and I have thought about adopting again and even went to meet a little Yorkie.  But neither one of us felt like it was the right thing to do.  Not sure if it was the dog or us, but we decided against it.  I keep thinking I will compare any dog I get to Allie and to me, she was truly one in a million.  I have never felt that way before about any of my dogs, that I would compare the next one to them, even though I loved them all.   Plus, we are having mixed emotions about adopting another Cavalier, if we do adopt.  The heart issue is almost a given with them - expensive to treat and also occurs at a younger age than most small dogs.  But we just aren't attracted to any other breed as much, although maybe if the right dog came along that wouldn't matter either way.  After we adopted our 1st Cavalier 5 years ago, we both felt like it was the only breed for us from here on out.  That was before we had 2 dogs die in our arms at home unexpectedly.

We are staying busy with transporting the little Yorkie with oral melanoma to her radiation treatments once a week and trying to find things to help build up her immune system after the treatments are over.  She will be going for the 2nd one tomorrow.  It is a 2 1/2 hr drive, so pretty much takes up the whole day.  She did very well after the 1st treatment and we are not expecting any side effects until possibly after the 3rd treatment.  Even then, the most common side effect is soreness in the mouth.  So, they schedule the 4th and last treatment for 2 weeks later instead of one week.  So far, everything has gone very well.  She seems to like riding in the car, and the trips back and forth have not been bad at all.  It has been a bit hard though to be dealing with such a serious illness with a dog, even though she is not my dog.  I have been researching and asking questions as if she were because I feel like she deserves that.  If all goes well, hopefully they will find a good home for her when the treatments are over with someone who will continue to research and question.  She will need to be on a low carb diet to continue to fight the cancer and there are supplements to help also.

Just wanted to comment also on Marj's post about being turned down by the rescue group.  I agree with both Martys - I think the rescue group should take other things into account before deciding whether to approve or not approve someone.  We had something similar happen to us a few years back where a young couple was given the dog to adopt that we were interested in.  The group had actually approved us but then it was up to the foster to decide who gets the dog.  We had an older dog at the time and this dog was younger, but I think it was more the fact that WE were older that the foster did not like.  Apparently, the foster looked over our application and couldn't think of a reason not to talk to us about the dog, so we were told it was because she wanted the dog to go to a home where there was a younger dog for her to play with.  It turned out the couple they adopted to had just been married and had no other dogs!  Of course, we weren't supposed to find that out, but I happened to already be on the Yahoo list of the group so found out that way.  I think the dog has a good home, which is the most important thing, but the dog went from being #1 in the house, where every post to the list was about her with pictures, etc. to a few years later having to share the spotlight with the new baby.  So, then the posts and the pictures were about him.  The actually did adopt another dog before the baby was born but the dog had some issues and did not do well with the baby.  So, they found another home for her.

Younger people do give up dogs also due to having children, not having enough time, moving into a place where they can't take the dog, etc.  I think most of the time that older people give up their dogs or cats is due to a health issue and having to move into a place where they just can't take them.

Thanks all for listening!

Mary

That is how I feel about Huskies.  My son brought our first Husky, Skye, home, and I've been in love with the breed ever since.  I love their personalities, their way of "talking", they're just so cute!  They tend to be more stubborn, which I personally relate to (my whole family is stubborn).  They're smart, beautiful, and I just deal with the shedding.  I love their movements too.  But Arlie is 132 lbs and I can't go this big again.  Skye was a runt at 50 lbs but they're powerfully strong, even at 50 lbs.  My next dog will have to be smaller since I am getting older.  The pulling is too hard on my hands.  These dogs were created to pull sleds, and it's a challenge walking them on a leash, even with a Halti, although I have learned a few tricks over the years to gain leverage.

How does one go from having "the perfect breed" for them, to something else?  

I wish you well with your search, and I hope you find just the right dog for you, I believe it's out there.  You have a lot of love to give, and there has to be one that would be right for you.

Hi Mary------thinking of you today also.

Having a few tears here and at the same time lots of giggles at the antics of the two new kittens.

Love to all......and prayers from my heard.

Kay,

Sounds like you are hooked on the Huskies.  They are such beautiful dogs.  We have mostly had bigger dogs also, except for one stray Shih Tzu, until the Cavaliers.  I love big dogs and would love to have another Doberman or maybe an Irish Wolfhound or Golden.  But then I think about trying to lift one of them into the car when they are older and I am older - don't know how that would work!

The Cavaliers just have such a gentle nature.  In 5 years, I have only heard one growl and that was from Lucy when she had an ear infection when we first got her and Connor, our crazy setter, kept trying to sniff at her ears.  I keep thinking there has to be another small dog that we would like and maybe there is and I just haven't found her yet.  Some days, I honestly don't think I will adopt again, but I know my husband still misses having Lucy sit on the couch with him.  So, who knows?

Mary

I don't know what I will do when Arlie gets decrepit...he's 132 lbs and counting!  Living alone, it's frightening sometimes and my kids aren't around.  I will have to solicit help from someone I know I guess.  Arlie is also Golden Retriever, which I also love, I had another one years ago.  SWEET dogs.  But I love the way Huskies talk and move and their personalities, I just wish they came in smaller sizes for those of us who are aging! 

Yes, who knows indeed!  I can't imagine life without a dog, I've had one since I was little.

Hopefully, Arlie will be around for a long time.  One of my dogs is around 42 lbs - not as big as Arlie, but I can't see lifting him up into the car even now.  I should start training him to use a ramp to get into the car.

Mary