Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Stories & Memories

Copperpot

Im not sure if there is a thread for this, but I thought it was be nice to have a place we could share memories & stories about our lost pets.

I thought I might start at the beginning w/ our Chester. I remember feeling quite uneasy about it. He was a "designer dog" and even I had many mixed feelings about that. He was pricey, he had to be shipped. What on earth was I thinking? He was the first dog Ive ever had that wasnt a full bred poodle. The moment I saw that little face poking through the travel crate I was in love. He had the most beautiful soft , curly red coat. He had the most endearing big brown eyes and long red eyelashes. He was like an angel. And then we brought him home.

From the moment his paws hit the ground he was like a tornado of teeth, claws & raw energy. He tormented our toy poodles virtually every second of the day with his antics. there were many times I thought, there really might be something seriously wrong with him. Had we made the worlds worst decision?? More than once In the middle of the night I would awaken to the weirdest sound, only to find out that he was EATING THE WALL. What?! He would greet people that came to visit by launching his entire body into them. He would dig up pretty much everything in the yard.

As crazy as it sounds, through all of this he was teaching me. Helping me to not sweat the small stuff and remember that zest for life I had forgotten about. I even used to call him "big baby" to remind that just because he was bigger than our poodles, he was still such a baby, and the world was still so new. He never lost that wild streak, but he did learn to obey his momma. In the short life he had, he filled every second with fun. thank you for all you taught me big baby. I miss you every second!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a beautiful dog. Thank you for sharing him with us. Oh, I can just see it in his eyes that he could be full of mischief. I am a firm believer that our animals do teach us about life.

Anne

Yes, this is exactly the spot for remembering our dogs. Chester (Big Baby) is beautiful! Dogs remind us of a fresh perspective, they are right in the moment, not a care in the world, happily chewing on a wall (or as in my case, the trim on the house), not trying to be destructive, but just investigating something in their world.

I used to have a white toy poodle named Baby. :)

Had some fun thoughts about chester today. Like when he would fart almost every time he jumped on the bed! Or the time I dressed him up like Burt from mary poppins. I am really trying to focus on these things, so I can get over the memories of those last few horrible days.

post-17421-0-28525700-1435732100_thumb.j

OMG, he is the cutest! That is really adorable!

This morning I needed to order some new checks so I did a custom photo order. I submitted four pictures, one of my granddoggy, Skye, who passed Sept. 1, 2013, and the other three of my dog Arlie. I've had custom checks for five years and it always brings a smile to my face to see Skye, even though he's gone now. I imagine the checks will outlive Arlie too and the feelings will be bittersweet.

Awesome! One time I got these stamps made with my poodle daisy on them & used them with my christmas cards. People really seemed to love it. Sometimes it is fun to look back & just appreciate the fun they were having in that moment. Such a simple joy.

Chester looks like he could have acted in a movie, he looks like he has a terrific personality!

I have been on a serious negative note the past few days. So in an effort to try and lighten things up, here is a great memory I have about Chester. He used to LOVE to chase bunnies. He would wait in front of the door & his entire body would vibrate in anticipation. He was super fast, but they were always just a little faster :) he knew all their hiding spots. Even the one under our gas grill. He would search the entire yard every time he went out. Made a mess of my planting beds, but I really didnt mind. It was so fun to watch.

post-17421-0-21848700-1436540835_thumb.j

Oh, Carrie, thank you so much for starting this thread. It's perfect for so many of us, for we all have stories to tell, and will enjoy hearing the stories of others.

I think we all are going to love both you and Chester. You are both precious and priceless. Thank you for the belly laughs. We all needed that levity.

Carrie, too

I have been on a serious negative note the past few days. So in an effort to try and lighten things up, here is a great memory I have about Chester. He used to LOVE to chase bunnies. He would wait in front of the door & his entire body would vibrate in anticipation. He was super fast, but they were always just a little faster :) he knew all their hiding spots. Even the one under our gas grill. He would search the entire yard every time he went out. Made a mess of my planting beds, but I really didnt mind. It was so fun to watch.

Such a great memory and picture - i can animate it in my mind.

It was another rollercoaster day. It feels good to be able to come back here and share another Chester memory with everyone. In a way, since his life was so short, individual memories seem to have extra importance. Maybe in some small way its helpful to think at least these memories will live on. I dont know.

Todays memory. Chester loved to fetch. He didnt just love it, he lived for it. He would literally speak what sounded like semi words when he felt it was time for a throw. He was particular & loved bouncy rubbery balls. He didnt just chase the ball, he flew through the air. He did insane leaps. He loved to spin his body mid air, almost like a sideways flip. It was so crazy to watch. He wagged his tail every time he would give it back to you. We would throw until the level of saliva was "beard consuming". Then he would get a super sloppy drink & pass out on the floor, unable to keep his tongue in his mouth. It was a nightly ritual & one of things I miss so much, sometimes I can barely breathe. Even writing this was really rough, but I hope you all can appreciate the story anyways.

post-17421-0-72976700-1436683728_thumb.j

post-17421-0-52588000-1436683756_thumb.j

Such an adorable dog!

Carrie,

I understand this joy of ball playing, for Jerry and Ashely had such a nightly routine for most of Ashely's life. The lack of having her to play with at night left a great hole in his life. Beauregard loves to play ball, but like your Chester, Ashely "lived" to play with squeaky, bouncy, rubber balls. There were times (e.g. Christmas) when we needed to stop her play until she could cool down, for she'd play to near exhaustion, evidenced by her tongue lolling out like Chester's. We could almost hear her ask us to stop her, because she was out of control, and couldn't stop herself.

Callie used to sit on the couch and watch Ashely with a disdainful look on her face that said she thought Ashely was making a fool of herself just to make their humans happy. Callie's attitude about a ball has always been, "If you wanted it, you shouldn't have thrown it away. Don't look at me to fetch it. You go get it yourself." She does like to play with the laser light though. Whether she looks stupid or not, she can't resist that little red light that she knows she will someday own to tuck into her daytime bed.

Thank you for another memory of Chester. We're all coming to love him, and we need the laughter.

Carrie, too

I didn't tell the rest of the story about Ruby and her bank roll. I have the unabridged story written as it unfolded somewhere, along with the photographs. Ruby didn't just chew the money; she ate it. Her mama thought the rent money was gone forever, and knew her landlord would never believe "the dog ate it." In resignation, she lay on the couch with Ruby while trying to think of what she could possibly do, since she had no more money.

As they lay on the couch, Ruby began to look unwell, turned green, and suddenly projectile-vomited up the wad of money (God does indeed work in mysterious ways; as the big fish spat up Jonah, Ruby spat up the rent money). Her surprised mama stared at the slimy, green ball, and wondered whether she could bring herself to try to wash it. Need won out. She "laundered" the money, pieced the tiny bits of soggy paper back together as best she could, and took it to the bank where she was given credit for six hundred dollars.

Now, that's a story the bank tellers will always remember, and one with which they could entertain their families that evening. I wanted to give this story to the newspaper, but it wasn't my story to report. I gave the possibility considerable consideration, even so.

As I said before, I just love Ruby.

Carrie, were Ruby and Chester to live in the same household, it really would "take a whole neighborhood" to raise them. Think of what a movie of them together as main characters might be like. We have a lot of talented, creative people on this forum. Shall we give it a try? I think such a movie could be breath-taking hilarious.

Carrie

It was another rollercoaster day. It feels good to be able to come back here and share another Chester memory with everyone. In a way, since his life was so short, individual memories seem to have extra importance. Maybe in some small way its helpful to think at least these memories will live on. I dont know.

Todays memory. Chester loved to fetch. He didnt just love it, he lived for it. He would literally speak what sounded like semi words when he felt it was time for a throw. He was particular & loved bouncy rubbery balls. He didnt just chase the ball, he flew through the air. He did insane leaps. He loved to spin his body mid air, almost like a sideways flip. It was so crazy to watch. He wagged his tail every time he would give it back to you. We would throw until the level of saliva was "beard consuming". Then he would get a super sloppy drink & pass out on the floor, unable to keep his tongue in his mouth. It was a nightly ritual & one of things I miss so much, sometimes I can barely breathe. Even writing this was really rough, but I hope you all can appreciate the story anyways.

Magnificent pictures and dog. He was such a delight . And I know exactly what you mean about missing them so much you

can scarely breathe. Thanks for putting it into words.

:-) thanks guys, for sharing with me. That Ruby story is priceless (bad joke). Today I finally worked up the strength to delete the videos I had of Chester when he was sick. I took them for diagnosing purposes, but I havent been able to delete them. I guess since those were my last moments with him ? anyways I am going to try & focus in on these happy moments now. We will see how it goes.

Here is a quick fun memory I have of Chester and how he used to sleep in these cute positions. He loved to put his feet up against something. Always made me laugh.

post-17421-0-99703300-1436818585_thumb.j

post-17421-0-99407200-1436818625_thumb.j

Carrie, that is so funny! I guess all's well that ends well!

I love the Chester pictures!

Love, love the story of Chest er flying through the air.

I saw one of those dogs being walked the other day and it was prancing instead of walking with it's person. So cute.

OMG, that first picture is calendar quality! I love it!!