Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Stories & Memories

Copperpot

He is so adorable, I can see why you love him. Those memories are poignant. Both dear and heartbreaking.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such a boy ----- love his pictures and his "hobbies" :))

And Copperpot, I sure know about wanting to scream!

Lots of times I go and pound on my bed . It helps dissipate the body stress.

Copperpot, what a beautiful, sweet babydoll you had! Thanks for sharing! I know that in sharing, you will be able to release some of the sorrow you are feeling.

As far as the screaming, I have done that when thinking about my precious Spooky, or when I pass by the corner where he last lay for the last few months.

And what Marj said about pounding on the bed, I have done that too.

The guilt you are feeling (or were feeling awhile back) over how you lost him is only tormenting you unnecessarily. Just believe that this was the time for

God to take him home. When God wants our loved ones, whether human or furbaby, there is absolutely nothing we can do to change that. All we can do is

take comfort in the fact that we loved them with all our hearts and then some, and they loved us back the same way. We don't know why God takes some

so early (like your Chester), and why some (like my Spooky) get to spend more time with us, but I truly believe that in God's time, we will have the answers.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

~ Mia ~

KayC, what beautiful dogs!

In due time I will also share some stories about Spooky. I just don't feel ready right now.

But it does help me when I read about the happy times you all have shared with your

furbabies.

~ Mia ~

Mia - you might enjoy this. I posted it on my Gb posts.

It's fun and tearful at the same time. The others have watched and even sang.

My Skye used to go into the shower stall...I guess it was cool in there.

Marj, thanks for the video! I loved it and what a happy song! It got me smiling for the first time in many days.

Coppertop, every picture of Chester is so absolutely precious! He is such a gorgeous color I have never seen on a dog before.

I remember, when I first got Spooky, he spent three whole days hiding under the couch in his new, strange home. I was still married then, so my

husband expressed concern that he would be hungry staying under there so long. I told him not to worry, that when he gets hungry, he'll come out.

I had put a plate of food in the vicinity of the couch, and when he finally felt is was "safe" to come out, that cute little nose poked out at first, trying to

sniff the nearby plate of food. Then out he popped, and the rest is history. He never ventured under the couch again. He figured that these humans

who cared enough to want to feed him can't be all that bad, so what's to fear. From that point on, I was "his human" for life. I got divorced very

shortly after, so all these years it has only been Spooky and myself.

~ Mia ~

Mia, you are so welcome....it's a good song to sing and clap to , or even a little dance step.

How precious that first peek from under the couch must have been.

Chester used to love water. I remember taking him on his first swim. We all thought he would want to swim to us and then take a rest, but he would swim right past you and keep going and going. When he was a puppy he probably drank his body weight in pool water because he couldnt resist biting at his own splashes. We had a little baby pool he liked to romp around in to cool off during our long arizona summers. I still get a bit sad when I see it. I so miss how much fun he was! Always ready for anything.

post-17421-0-56448700-1438703612_thumb.j

post-17421-0-99932500-1438703695_thumb.j

Chester used to love water. I remember taking him on his first swim. We all thought he would want to swim to us and then take a rest, but he would swim right past you and keep going and going. When he was a puppy he probably drank his body weight in pool water because he couldnt resist biting at his own splashes. We had a little baby pool he liked to romp around in to cool off during our long arizona summers. I still get a bit sad when I see it. I so miss how much fun he was! Always ready for anything.

LOL---- he defnitely knew the dog paddle didn't he.

Wonderful guy and love your comments.

Your Chester and my Skyedoggers would have gotten along, he loved water too, more than any dog I've ever seen! :) When I'd take him swimming, he'd look like a crocodile, basking in the water, with his eyes closed, just soaking up the luxury. When we took him to a dog park when he was getting crippled, he'd lay in the wading pool and jealously guard the water, it was so funny because other dogs didn't know what to make of him...it's not like he could do anything to them, he could barely stumble! But he'd growl a warning all the same. Ironically, when he knew he was too crippled to be able to be in the water, he quit going in. That broke my heart.

Your Chester is such a beautiful color!

Carrie,

One of my family's favorite photos of Chester is the one of him riding in the back seat with his hair blowing hard. As we were riding in Modesto yesterday, Jerry laughed, pointed to the car right next to us, and beside Amberly who was driving, and said, "Look! There's a white Chester."

There was a lot of waving among the occupants of both cars of strangers, and one little white paw was lifted to wave to us. He appeared to be as delighted to find us as we were to find him. The doggie's family knew their big-eyed baby was much-appreciated, and they looked as proud as they should.

Chester has stolen our hearts, for sure. I thought you'd like to know we were remembering him yesterday.

I'm trying to get back to wherever I posted last to give an update.

Carrie

Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful comments about Chester.

Kayc - I love that name, Skyedoggers! He sounds like he was a real character too. ??

Carrie, it does really warm my heart that you & your family think about Chester :))) Im glad to hear his antics can bring some smiles as I know you are all still grieving for Callie. Thats one of my favorite photos of Chester, he just looks so happy!

His name was Skye but we did have nicknames for him Skyedoggers, Skyedoggy, he was a sweetie.

Skyedoggers.. Its a great nickname. We called Chester a bunch of things, Cheddars being a favorite :-)

Tonight I pulled out the kiddie pool that Chester used to love & set it up for (our new pup) Finn's first swim. It was pretty emotional. I remember just a few months ago having so many summer plans we were going to enjoy w/ Chester. I still feel this deep sorrow about how short his life was. Finn is so very different in every way and its confusing because we love his layed back, gentle nature, but we also desperately miss our wild man! Even so, it was fun to watch Finn romp around & remind us that there are still good times to come. 

Copperpot, I'm glad to see that you have reached a point where you are able to open your heart to a new furbaby.  Of course in the beginning you will be remembering lots of things about Chester as you get acquainted with Finn and noting the differences between the two, but in time Finn will occupy more and more of your heart, and you will be able to remember Chester without feeling the deep sorrow you are still feeling.

I am in the process of packing for moving away, and until I have moved I can't consider a new pet.  I want to start a completely new life with a new furbaby (or two) to love, in a place that will be filled with the essence of the new pet.  Spooky spent too many years here with me for me to be able to bring a new pet into this place and not always wish it was Spooky still with me here.  As of now it still hurts so much thinking about Spooky and the life we had together here.

My neighbor had a teacup terrier named Finn, who sadly passed a few years ago.  I used to call him the whirling dervish, because he was so full of energy, he would never sit still long enough for you to be able to pet him, twirling in circles around your feet.  She also had a cat who she lost just around the same time.  She now has the most darling shih tzu poodle mix named Coco that she (and I) adore.

Copperpot, blessings to you and I know you will enjoy Finn with all the love you have to give, as he deserves.

~ Mia ~

Edited by Critterdoll

I can so relate...my last dog, Lucky, was so obedient and well trained.  She wouldn't hurt a flea and was scared of everything.  Arlie is extremely self assured and confident, goofy, and can be obstinate.  Arlie is way more interactive than Lucky was.  Lucky was more graceful than a deer and could run 45+ mph.  Arlie is more clumsy and not at all fast with his cumbersome weight.  He's 132 lbs and can't seem to lose weight no matter what, whereas Lucky couldn't gain, she was always thin and boundless energy.  You do love them for their own unique qualities but every once in a while one comes along that you really really connect with.  That's how it is with my Arlie and I too.