Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Calico Rose's Visit With Vet On 8 July 2015

LadyCarrie

Dear Forum Friends,

The vet looked into Callie's mouth, and said immediately “You need to be thinking of her quality of life.” She went on to say that she's in end-stage kidney disease and that her teeth and mouth are too bad for surgery to be an option (kidney disease causes awful things to happen to the mouth: decayed teeth; ulcers/abscesses; and sore, swollen, and bleeding gums). She was ready to euthanize her, but we just couldn't do it yesterday. We made the right decision for yesterday. Soon (no matter when, it will feel too soon) we will have to make another decision ~ one we will hate, but hopefully, we will know we chose the right time. Unfortunately, dogs with KD don’t just lie down and die peacefully; instead, they often die having terrible and terrifying seizures that can happen when no vet is available. Our regular vet told me that he was sure I would not allow that end to happen to Ashely. Prayerfully, I won’t allow it to happen to Callie either. The doctor said that she will come to our home to euthanize her when we are ready. With my heart screaming "NO!," my mind was logical enough to mutter, "Thank you."

I reel at times with remorse regarding Ashely; not because she was euthanized, but due to the reason it had to be done early. I still have “third-degree burns” due to vet abuse. Euthanasia is often needed as an act of mercy, but it is permanent. I feel like I can't do this ever again, yet it appears I/we must. I know many of you are feeling what I feel, and so you know. We speak heart-to-heart here.

Prior to Callie’s exam, Amberly and I agreed that we wanted to try treatment by bolus at home, if nothing else could be done for her. Water is a wonder "drug," and it saves lives ~ human and animal, even when there appears to be no hope. We knew we couldn't continue giving Callie amoxicillin or Metacam, because there's nothing in her tummy. We needed another method of administering an antibiotic. The vet agreed that the bolus treatments and a long-lasting, powerful, injectable antibiotic called Convenia could be tried for a week. The vet said that she will put her on this regime, along with Buprenex for pain (strong) for a week. We will know soon whether it will work. If she's still sick, in pain, or can't eat normally after a few days, we will know we tried everything we can do. This plan just might buy her a bit more "quality" (somewhat quality) time. All of us "old" ones have pain of some kind at some level some of the time. Her pain level will be kept low. I promise ~ myself and you.

The bolus at the vet's office made Callie comfortable, and she rested well last night. She was given no medication at the vet’s office, yet she relaxed soon after she was given water by bolus. We know that at best, we are buying her a little more time. The objective is that she will eat and drink. If she will eat and drink, we will keep her on comfort care, provided she has a reasonable quality of life. If she enjoys her walks, a toy or two, and perhaps a bit of laser light chasing, we will consider this a reasonable quality of life.

Amberly and I have "brought back" a cat (Sierra Sue) with hepatitis; prolonged the life of Dewey, a diabetic cat, for several years; saved Beauregard Doxie’s life after adverse reactions to Metacam; made Ashely more comfortable for a while; and helped Callie to recover from another problem by use of IV and bolus therapy at home.

All but the cat with hepatitis were treated by boluses, but we had the cat on the couch hooked up to a human IV pole. The vet had said that Sierra Sue had little hope. Amberly focused on "hope," and took her cat home. She called a doctor for whom she once worked, and said that she wanted him to come up and start the IV. He told her to go to the office, get an IV setup and a pole, and to start the IV herself (he was out of town, but on his way back). Amberly told him that she didn't know how to start an IV on a cat. He told her that she knew how, but just didn't know she knew. She argued. He told her to reason it through, and just do it since every minute counted. She argued some more. He told her to start that IV, and the cat better not be dead when he got to her house due to her not getting the IV started! I held Sue while Amberly started the IV. Amberly, our doctor friend, and I took shifts sitting with her around the clock for several days. Sue lived several more happy years ~ years she would not have had were it not for Amberly’s tenacity. The vet, the doctor, and I thought Amberly was prolonging agony. We were mistaken. I learned you really can tell a tortoiseshell cat is jaundiced (eyes, paw pads, wherever hair is sparse).

We treated Amberly's diabetic cat named Dewey in the staff bathroom at the doctor's office. Amberly would bring Dewey to work with her, and put him in the bathroom for the day. After all the patients were gone, she would put a needle underneath the skin at the back of his neck, and "blow him up" with water. He’d look like a gray and white camel. My job was to be the human IV pole. Dewey’s vet said that it was a good idea for Amberly to treat him at home, because his blood sugar was inaccurate at his office due to his panic (vet didn’t like being shredded by a big, fat tomcat either, so it was a good arrangement).

As I’ve written about our baby, Calico Rose, better known as Callie by her close friends, my mind wandered to some of our other fur babies. I didn’t exactly stay on topic, but I believe you will understand.

Callie refused her lunch, but I was able to get a few bites of potatoes into her later (All right. I’ll acknowledge I chewed them for her. At this point, I’ll chew anything except dog food and rawhide for her, if she’ll eat.). She also drank some water on her own. I’d found evidence that she had pounded the water in her bowl with her paw again earlier, because she couldn’t drink. In truth, I question that she will be able to drink enough at this stage. Her output is more than her intake. She’s still unstable on her feet when she tries to walk, which is a symptom of Stage 4 (end-stage) kidney disease. I think we will know within another two days whether the antibiotic is going to work. We all know it can’t give much more quality time, for there is no cure for kidney disease no matter the treatment and the deep, deep love and affection lavished.

I’ve been trying to write since last night, but could not. Jerry’s having a rough day. He said that his “nerves are shot.” He sat and held Callie for a little while. I saw him slowly and softly rubbing her little head. I took her again soon. It’s too hard.

Blessings,

Carrie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, dear Carrie, for taking the time and energy to share this comprehensive report with all of us. As I'm sure you know, we've been waiting (prayerfully) to hear from you. Your love and devotion to your fur baby is palpable. We send you love and light . . .

My dear Carrie, you really have had quite a day! Thank you for your report, I know it was hard for you to give it.

Have you tried a baby food grinder to put her food through so you don't have to chew it? I used it for my King George at the end of his life. It helped him eat bacon and chicken, we were trying to help him gain weight, not realizing at the time that he had cancer. I also used it on a husband after his oral surgery, he was on "soft foods" for two months and this really came in handy. I used it on Arlie and Skye when they had digestive problems too, thankfully that's behind me for now.

I hope this treatment works and buys you some time until you're more ready to do what we dread.

Thank you both so much for caring and for responding.

Actually, Kay, I should have written what I said clearer. I'm sorry. I put both Callie's and Beauregard's lunch through my thirty-year-old-but-still-working Bosch (it used to be white, but is now cream-colored; it works, so cream-colored and old suits me fine). I bought it when I was my mother's caregiver, and she needed pureed food. The rest of the story about Callie's potato-eating is that I was holding Callie in my lap while I ate my own lunch when she seemed to be interested in my baked potato. As particular as Jerry is about a germ and cleanliness, he didn't even flinch when I chewed my potato, spat it out, and fed it to Callie. :) I know I'm being gross. I'm not acting quite myself today ~ or perhaps this is the real me when I'm hurting and scared.

As I write, a fawn walked down our driveway, turned around, and walked back into the street. I hope it moves soon, but it looks quite content. Good. It moved on into the woods across the street.

You are both blessings to me. Thank you again.

Blessings and hugs,

Carrie

I take visits from deer as a gift, I think you needed one today. :)

Carrie,

Thinking of you this morning and hope that Callie is doing a bit better. We had been thru kidney disease with our little shih tzu several years ago, so understand what you are going thru. I was trying to think of the nausea medication we used - Cerenia, maybe? Actually, just looked i up on the dogaware.com website. It is Cerenia. I think it was given once a day for 4 days and then a couple of days off, but not sure about that. I also belonged to several Yahoo lists (k9kidneys and k9kidneydiet) that were helpful.

Don't know if you are familiar with the Dogaware website but lots of information on kidney disease. I tried copying and pasting the link, but can't seem to be able to do that. If you have time, look at the website dogaware.com and then go to "health" and "kidney disease".

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Callie.

Mary

The care & concern you have shown for your cats is simply amazing. You are putting careful consideration into all of your actions, which is something I personally think a vet cannot always provide. We really know more about what is going on with our pets, because we are on the front lines every day. As you know what I went through with Chester, I understand completely that you need to feel that you have explored all options. I wish every day that we would have had the chance to help Chester and give him the full life he deserved. I am praying for strength, discernment and "peace that surpasses all understanding" during this agonizing time.

I consider the young deer a gift also, Kay. God shows up to tell us how much He loves us in so many ways. I am grateful. Jerry was on the couch all day due to weakness and instability while walking. He scares me when he goes staggering off across a room, or reels backward. Some days are like that for him, but he also has good days that were it not for his bad hip, he appears well. What I started out to say is that because he was lying down, it took me a while to get him sitting up. I needn't have been concerned that our guest would leave soon. He or she seemed content to "sit a spell" with us. I called it a fawn, but I'm not sure that is the right word. It was small, very young, and appeared to be taking in its world with wide-eyed awe. Yes, the deer was indeed a gift.

Mary,

Thank you for the information about Cerenia. I didn't know about this one. I'll ask Callie's vet if she can have it.

I am familiar with the K9 sites. I found these places soon after Ashely was diagnosed. They're really helpful. At that time, I knew zilch about KD in dogs, except that because of it, Ashely's vet told me she likely had six months to two years to live, and he thought about six months. She had only five. Whatever did loving, frightened pet-parents do before such sites online existed? Of course, we know the answer. It's evident you did your research, for you are well-informed. It's necessary in order to give our babies length and quality of life when they have KD. You did well, and I thank you so much for sharing what you learned with me.

At this point, we are on comfort care only with Callie. We've done the KD diet (Ashely said, "Yuck!" and refused it), and special home cooked diets; heavy on the latter. Now, I'll give Callie whatever I can get her to eat ~ even a cookie, cheese, or whatever makes her happy. Antibiotics and buprenex will be her meds. I'm going for happy now.

I thank you very much for your thoughts and prayers. These are most important, and most effective. These are our hotlines to Heaven, and to the ears of our Father. Hurts happen, but we need not hurt alone. God gives us people ~ and deer~ to comfort us. Thank you for being one of those people.

Blessings,

Carrie

Good morning to All,

I have good news about Callie. She has begun to eat, and she drank some water on her own. We are giving her bread soaked in chicken broth, and are giving her water and broth by syringe. Sometimes syringe-feeding for a short time will cause dogs to be able to eat. I would do this only for a short time. It appears the antibiotic and bolus will give her more time to live. I don't mean to say she's out of the woods, but she seems to be considering emerging.

After she ate her first bites, she looked so proud of herself, and waited for our happy squeals of surprise, and her tons of praise she knew she had coming. She wagged her tail, and the look in her eyes, as she looked up to ours, said, "Look what I did!"

I thank each of you who think of her and us, and who are praying. May our Lord bless each of you.

Blessings and hugs to all, and Callie sends her paw print, dipped in the ink of love and gratitude,

Carrie

Carrie,

I understand your feelings about Chester (I love his nickname!), and I am going to be praying with you for you to have strength, discernment, and the peace that surpasses all understanding (Phillipians 4:7). My heart hurts for you. ❤️

Warm hugs,

Carrie, too

I am so so happy that Callie is eating. I am reading your posts, Carrie, and I'm very interested in if the antibiotic is working. Such a good idea about the bread soaked in chicken broth.

I can only imagine how very difficult all of this is. We become so attached to our furbabies.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Anne

Carrie,

Hope that Callie is doing well this morning. Just wondered if you ever tried feeding her tripe? It is good for them but really stinks to high heaven. Most dogs love it even when they won't eat anything else. I buy frozen, but it can be hard to find that way. I have fed canned tripe also - Tripett Venison tripe was the favorite around here. You can sometimes find it at a higher end pet store. Even just mixing a teaspoon or so into other food can motivate them to eat.

Are you doing fluids at home? My vet recommended it daily but since my husband and I weren't comfortable doing it, we had to have a vet tech come over every few days and give them. Got to be very expensive, but it definitely made Kacy feel better. We bought a case of the fluids from Walgreens for much cheaper than getting it from the vet and then ordered the lines and needles online.

As for any prescription food from the vet (or actually ANY food from the vet), I think most of it is junk. Most dogs won't eat it and it's not good quality anyway. The only one who benefits from it is the vet, who is making money.

Keeping all in our prayers.

Mary

Good morning, Mary,

Thank you for writing, caring, and most of all for praying.

I do believe Callie's going to make an amazing "come back" for a while longer. I say amazing, because she was so bad the vet was ready to euthanize her a few days ago. She has begun to eat, walked outside (not far, and briefly), and even showed interest in the laser light. If she gets so she can play again, then I say that's an acceptable quality of life. Of course, playing is like breatheing to a Doxie. Ashely played a little bit until the day before she died, so I'm not sure playing is a good barometer for a Doxie. It definitely shows a desire to live.

If Callie can tolerate the antibiotic, she has a good chance to live for a while. We know, and I'm sure you know also, the day will come that regardless of how much she drinks on her own, it will not be enough. Drinking enough becomes impossible. We will supplement her water intake with boluses as long as she can tolerate the procedure well. How often she will need them is yet to be determined. Amberly (daughter) is a RN, so she's the one who inserts the needle, and I hold her on the couch. I think, like Ashely, Callie will tell us herself when "enough is enough." When Ashely cried, and asked us to not stick her anymore, I told Amberly, "No more," and she agreed. Surprisingly, the vet said that I made the right decision. Ashely herself told me "When." There comes a time when they can't tolerate one more needle stick. I won't force boluses. If they don't fight against it, it's a wonderful, life-saving treatment.

No, I haven't tried tripe, but I've heard that dogs like it. The biggest problem with prepared KD food is dogs hate the taste of it, and won't eat it. A vet friend of mine, a lady doctor, gave me two recipes that she uses for her dogs for our girls. I vary these, and Callie likes them. She couldn't eat due to the condition of her teeth and mouth. The antibiotic helped the condition of her mouth so that she can eat. Of course, her teeth cannot be fixed, so we will use buprenex for pain.

As you've lived this KD life, you know that it's one day at a time, and what is right for one day might not be right for the next. There are so many variables. We have a limited time with her, because there is no cure for KD, and she is fifteen. It's possible for her to live months longer. That may be hopeful thinking, but we now have hope again for the immediate future.

I had not considered purchasing supplies from a pharmacy. Thank you for telling me that you got your supplies at Walgreens. That's a good idea, for treatment does get so very expensive.

Blessings,

Carrie

Carrie,

I think I had to have the vet write a prescription for the fluids, if I remember correctly. We lost Kacy 5 years ago, and since then, had to go from learning about kidney disease to learning about heart disease and I think my mind can only hold so much information! My husband was thinking it might be another local pharmacy that we got the fluids from, but I remember some on the K9kidney list ordered from Walgreens. I think they have some type of program for pets.

We used to order the lines from Thriving Pets. I just checked their website and the fluids are now $15 a piece! I see where they state that the price had gone up considerably a few years back. Anyway, I would definitely check around. I also bought the aluminum hydroxide from Thriving Pets. You could join one of the Yahoo lists (K9Kidneydiet and K9kidneys), even if just to get information about where to buy the fluids.

Lucky that Amberly is able to do the fluids. I guess I wouldn't make a very good nurse and often wonder how I ended up with a dog that needed fluids and one that was diabetic. My husband and I were forced to learn to do the shots, but we were never comfortable doing them. - even after 6 1/2 years, twice a day.

I agree that they let you know when enough is enough. Kacy could be a bit temperamental on top of everything else, but tolerated them fairly well. They do help a lot.

As for how much time they have left, I honestly never even asked any of my vets because I truly feel they don't know. It is only a guess - yes, maybe an educated guess, but still a guess. When my setter was first diagnosed with diabetes, 3 vets told us he would go blind within 6 months. He did not lose his sight for over 6 YEARS, and the veterinary eye dr said then that it was due to normal cataracts due to old age - not due to diabetes. Also, my one Cavalier with the worst heart of my 3, who also has a ruptured major chord in her heart, is still with us and doing well, a year after we thought we were going to lose her - a total surprise to the vet - while my other 2 whose hearts were not as bad died suddenly.

Mary

Mary,

Considering all the medical knowledge you're acquiring, you might consider becoming a vet tech (smile).

I'm seventy-one, and Jerry, my husband, has serious health issues, so I believe these three Doxie cousins will be our last babies. I'm sad about that. It's difficult to imagine our house being Doxieless, for we've had one almost all the time we've been married (47 years). Our having three Doxie babies at one time was wild, but they are/were worth it. It was like parenting triplets. I've changed two potty boxes for fifteen years (our girls shared one), which is like diapering.

I understood Copperpot's story about Chester chewing the wall. I'm sitting in the room that still has Beauregard's teeth marks where he tried to chew a knot from the knotty pine wall. I was not at all happy with him at the time, but now, I tell myself that a little bit of oil hides the teeth marks. It was hilarious to watch them lined up in a row chasing whoever was in lead with a toy throughout the house ~ up the stairs, over and under the bed a few time, and then racing back down the stairs, and repeat this a few times. It's a good idea to stand still, and out of the way until it's over. Doxies rarely tire; they just change activities. Doxies are not a good choice for those who want a sedate lifestyle. They are nearly always wanting to play, and are so comical. Little loves.

I love hounds of every kind. The Bloodhound is my favorite. Because I can't have a bellowing bloodhound howling at the moon in my neighborhood, I choose the Dachshund, which is part bloodhound. Beauregard can bellow with the best of 'em. When he gets on a "high lonesome," we reel him in.

Carrie

Carrie, I'm glad she's eating!

Carrie,

No, I don't think I would be a very good vet tech. I don't even like to cut my dogs' nails. I feel like I've kind of muddled thru these various diseases with my dogs - unwilling to put their treatment 100% into any vet's hands, but not sure I of my decisions either.

Sounds like your Doxies were very entertaining. I have to say I like the hounds also - love the Treeing Walkers and Bluetick, although have never owned either. We had always had bigger dogs over the years (a Doberman, a German Shorthaired Pointer and English Setters) until my son brought home a stray Shih Tzu. After we got our Cavaliers, we decided that was really the best breed for us at this stage of the game - calm, don't bark a lot and not very active. Of course, they pretty much all have heart problems, so that is the big drawback.

We are kind of in the same boat as far as ever adopting any more. I know my husband would like another lap dog and keeps hinting at getting a Cavalier puppy, but I think my puppy days are over. I just don't think any dog could compare to Allie in my eyes and Lucy in his eyes anyway. Still have several here to care for.

Hope Callie is doing well today.

Mary

Hi, Mary,

I, too, have muddled through, learning with each one, and feeling sad that I learned some things too late. Like you, I absolutely hate cutting the babies' nails. They bellow when I'm least expecting it ~ you know the kind ~ the startling kind that causes those wild adrenalin hot flashes, and make you dance in place. Callie is the worst. She bellows before I even touch her toe!

Callie's going to make it a while longer. We will try to keep her as long as we can, but we know that with KD, we need to keep her from getting to the seizures stage. We are trying to treat her as we "think" we would want to be treated. We haven't been there yet, so we only think we know.

I grew up with Black and Tan hounds and Blueticks. There was a reddish one, but I can't remember the name of its kind. It was a hound though. He had the sophisticated name of Pup, because I was six when I named him. He was my bestest friend, who I cuddled with when I was sure nobody loved me but my dog. My mother caught me crying, and confiding this "truth" to him one time. We had two German Shepherds when I was very young (my mother's favorite breed).

Amberly has a friend who has a bloodhound named Ruby. I just love Ruby. Ruby is often in trouble. She's curious. She just does stuff. Her mama wasn't too happy with her when she chewed up six one-hundred dollar bills she had put on the kitchen counter for her rent. I received several photos of Ruby during that time, along with the chewed up money. She looked very sorry, and ashamed of herself. Poor darling. I received a photo of Ruby standing up on her hind legs looking out the kitchen window watching for her daddy to pull into the driveway a few days ago. She's forever in trouble, but never mean. She's a big, slobbering baby.

Carrie

Ruby sounds like she would have been best friends with my Chester! Ive always been a poodle person myself. Grew up with them & I have two now. Even though Chester was 75% poodle, his personality was all golden, and who doesnt love a golden retriever? I remember being very smitten with my aunts Irish Setter when I was growing up. They are great dogs :)

If she takes the remnants to the bank, they should be able to replace it. (They weigh it or something to tell) It may take a while but at least she wouldn't be out $600!

Golden/Poodle, now that's a combination! Mine is Goberian, which is Golden Retriever & Siberian Husky, a wonderful combination!