Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost my beautiful black lab a month ago

Kelly224

Had to put my baby to sleep a month ago. She was my life. She was rescue as someone had shot her up withhigh power darts at 6 weeks old and was found under a bridge almost dead. The dart caused a horrible infection in her leg and was told she might loose her leg. I came home one night and turned on the news to see this tiny black lab with her leg all bandged jumping around. She was being shownby the human society for adoption. I was not looking for another dog since i already had a yellow lab that was blind. But i went to bed thinking about her and woke up thinging about her. I had fallen in love with her in 10 seconds and knew she belonged with me. Needless to say i started adoption process, we were inseparatable from moment i brought her home. We faced many challenges together including TPLO surgery & being hit by a car. Than just before Thanksgiving she had to have a back toe amputated and found out she had melanoma cancer. The cancer was aggressive and after a brave fight she was ready to cross the rainbow bridge. And now my baby Karma is gone. I feel nothing but an emptiness inside of me. Sadness that cannot even be expressed by words. I cant eat or sleep and cry a lot. Its awful to come home at night and not have a wagging tail waiting. Even when she was sick when i came home she would always go get a bone and bring it to me. I am not functioning very well and most people do not understand. I feel like only a shell of me is walking around. I am so heartbroken. Miss my angel girl so much!  Thank you for letting me tell my story!

Hi Kelly ---- we who "hang out" here sure do understand.   It's such a painful path when we lose the ones we are so connected with day and night, 24/7.    All my heart felt sympathy.  I am here because I had to let my Gb kitty go in May.  And there are wonderful supporters in this forum.

Marj, Hamish, Angel Gb, and babies Shamus and Brianna.

Edited by Marj37

Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry!  I understand your falling in love with Karma instantaneously, for that's how it was with my Arlie (also a rescue, although he hadn't been abused).  It's hard for me to understand how their former "parents" didn't take care of them and love and protect them!  Esp. when they're all the world to us.

I'm sorry Karma had such a hard time in life...yet very glad she found respite with you.  They worm their way into our hearts, and when they're gone, oh the hole it leaves!

We are animal lovers all, and we do understand the pain that comes when our fur babies are taken from us. Telling our stories does help a bit, Kelly, and here you've found a place where we really do want to learn each other's stories. Can you tell us more about what was special about your precious Karma? Do you have any pictures of her that you'd care to share with us? I love the name you chose for her. Can you tell us how you came to give that name to her?

Dear Kelly,

My heart goes out to you.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Animal cruelty is unimaginable to those who are sane, and it hurts and angers me like few other things hurt and anger me.  As Marty said, we are all animal lovers here.  We understand your hurting heart, and we care that you are hurting.

My family just got our little fur baby home from the crematorium last night.  We feel red raw today.

I'm glad you found such a special fur baby.  She needed you, and you were there to help her with open arms and heart.  This makes you special also.

Blessings,

Carrie

Kelly, I truly understand what you are going through and how very much it hurts to lose your precious pet!  I too love the name you gave her.  I had to have my beloved cat Spooky put to sleep a little over a month ago after spending 21 love-filled years together.  He was the light of my life and losing him left me feeling exactly as you have described, leaving a big hole in my heart!  Come back and post anytime you need.  We will be here to support you as all of us have gone through the same.  As Marty said, maybe you have some pictures you might want to post whenever you are ready.  Your Karma went through a tough time in life and God knew that you were the perfect mom for her and that's why you couldn't stop thinking about her when you saw her on the news.  She was meant to be with you!  But as we all say here, the deeper you loved your beloved pet, the deeper the grief is, and this overwhelming grief is the price we pay for loving our pets so very much!

I see red whenever I hear about animal abuse of any kind!  Those who commit these acts are lower than low-lifes and deserve to face the same kind of torture they are doing to poor defenseless animals.  That would be my wish for them, to experience the same pain they are afflicting on animals.

My prayers are with you Kelly!

~ Mia ~

I would love to take credit for her name but when I adopted her I was told that whoever found the aminal got to name them and since I thought it was perfect for her we keep it. She followed her sister Taylar everywhere and did everything Taylar did. She was poddy trained in a day. Loved to play catch & frisbee. Could dig up a mole faster than a backhoe (well almost). Loved children, kept the rabbits out of the yard. We went to doggie school where she learned many things. She loved swimming & chasing frogs but her two favorite things of alll time were car rides & hanging out with me.  she didnt like me out of her site. She liked to be first at everything and would jump over poor Taylar to get their first. She would steal Taylar's bones even though she had her own. Good thing Tay was so sweet. Karm was also the thief of neighborhood. She came home with lots of treasures FedEx packages, clothes, flower pots, balls, toys you name it. She would do just about anything to be told "good girl". She was truly my sweetheart. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you all so very much! Never thought I could find such comfort from people I did not know. I am a very private person! Mia I feel so bad you lost your fur baby of 21 years! Karma was 10.5 years and my Taylar was 15 years long for a lab esp a blind lab. She was my special girl too. No one could ever believe she was blind unless you looked into her eyes. Had it not been for Taylar we would not have gotten Karma! Tell me about your fur baby! That is so wonderful you enjoyed that time! 

• Upvote 1

I am so sorry you lost your precious lab. the special bonds you formed by seeing Karma through all of those challenges, they must have been very strong. I felt intensely bonded to our dog we recently lost as well and I am still finding it difficult to accept. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there 

Feeling so sad and missing my karma so much. Starting to feel angry or mad for no reason really. I am not an angry person and do not process anger well. Is my extened aminal family out there? I need a word of encourgement or acknowledgement that how I am feeling is normal. Love my Karma so much & miss her so. 

Thank you for sharing your pictures, very beautiful dog! Yes, what you're feeling is normal, and yes their spirits continue to exist and it totally my belief that we'll be reunited when our time comes.  Remember, while their physical body may have out, the love between us never dies and neither does the energy that is them.  

Kelly,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Karma was such a beautiful dog - who doesn't love a lab?  Just like the Goldens, something so sweet about them.

I'm glad you found the forum here.  We all understand what you are going thru and grieve with you.  It's so hard when they leave us because they are such a big part of our lives and everyday routine, and when they are gone, it turns our whole world upside down.

I hope you will keep posting here.  It does help!

Mary

Kelly, cry as much as you need to and don't hold back!  I still feel the pain seven weeks after losing Spooky.  In the beginning I felt like screaming, I missed Spooky so much.  But time has a way of healing, and in time you will find getting through your days a little easier, day by day.  There is no time limit to our grieving process; it takes what it takes.  I still miss Spooky terribly, but I find now that I am able to function a little more normally than I was in the beginning.  At first I could think of nothing else but him, but now, with the passing of time I am finding myself thinking of other things, and hopefully finding some measure of happiness with new furbabies to love in the future .

As far as finding these wonderful people in this group, I believe it truly helped me in my grief process, the sincere support of these caring people.  It is always easier to bear grief when you have the support of people who have been exactly where you are right now. 

Blessings,

~ Mia ~

My friends I need your support once again. We have had bad storms in my area and Karma was so scared of storms. I found a doggie music cd to calm dogs during storms. It helped her alot! Thunder shirt/ vest never worked but she liked her music cd. Had a break down during the storm. She didnt have her cd. Still hurting so badly after 6 weeks!  I have no other fur babies and not sure I will be able to after loss of karma.  

I'm sure Karma is no longer scared of storms...from what I know of the life beyond, it is a very peaceful experience.  I'm sorry it was such a vivid reminder of your Karma and brought it all back to you.