Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost my beautiful black lab a month ago

Kelly224

You can read about my experiences here:

• 2 months later...

Hi Kelly, I am so sorry for your loss of Karma, she was gorgeous. I have come on this site to find people who understand as I had to say goodbye to my best friend Bobby 5 months ago. He was a yellow lab. My heart is broken, I am suffering anxiety. I get on with life day to day, but the heavy weight is constantly there. I can cry at the drop of a hat, especially when talking about him. The pain is as great as losing a human friend. He was there for me through my divorce. He had many medical conditions and finally lost a battle with cancer.  The deal was, he looked after me, I looked after him. He kept the deal so well. I wrote a poem about him. One line said, 'He was my smile in the morning and my kiss goodnight'. So true. I TOTALLY understand your pain. I have attached a photo of Bob on a special holiday we took when we knew we would be losing him xx

20150406_180615.jpg

BJ, oh he looks like a sweetheart. Thanks for sharing the photo. I'm so sorry you lost him. It's good to talk to other animal people that love them just as much as a human. I know someone on face book that got a dog just because her daughter wanted him. She can't stand him and is not an animal person. I mentioned that pets are family and she goes "No, he is not family" and I was angry and hurt, but let it go.

I mean, why get a pet if you think like that? Thank god our pets had us and we had them.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for responding so quickly hollowheart. I have never joined an online group like this before but was so desperate to find someone who knew how I felt. I have friends with dogs but I don't think they understand how close our bond was. My youngest daughter gets it, but she has a fiance, I had Bobby. I walked him every morning, gave him his epilepsy and arthritis meds every day. I had to go into debt to pay the vet bills when his insurance premium rocketed. I holidayed with him when my ex took my daughters away. Whatever stress came my way, he was there and I felt comforted. I am a Christian and I believe he was sent to get me through my darkest days as my family fell apart. I am SO grateful for the 10 years I had him, but the pain is so great. I hope you don't mind me sharing my poem, it sums up how I feel. It is me and Bob in the photo, on a beach we travelled to many times. X

FB_IMG_1448125094128.jpg

BJ,

I'm sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing that picture.  I'd wanted to take my dog to the coast on vacation but right before lost my job and haven't had $ to do so since.  Those memories are so special.  My dog, too, is my best friend, I know how all encompassing your loss must feel.

• Upvote 1

Thanks kayc. So sorry to hear of your job loss. I hope you find something else soon. I must admit I paid for the trip on my credit card. I had paid so much out anyway on Bob's meds and treatments, I thought that I would do this one last thing for him. We went to many places we had been on previous trips, including a favourite beach where I used to swim with him. It was Easter and the weather was amazing, we had such a beautiful, special time. I am left with a credit card bill to pay off and, although it has been tough, I know I did all I could to keep him well and happy, until I could do no more. What sort of dog do you have and what is his/her name? X

It's been a couple of years, I decided to retire instead of look for another again...I've been through this three times since my husband died, I felt done with it all.

Maybe I'll get to take Arlie to the coast someday after all...I did a day trip but I'd love to take him overnight.  He's Siberian Husky/Golden Retriever and weighs about 140 lbs. The third picture is when I first got him as a puppy at 79 lbs.

Arlie running.jpg

IMG_9635.JPG

Arlington.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh, isn't he gorgeous! I would love a big hug from him! He looks like he loves life! Sounds like you have had it rough since you lost your husband. I imagine Arlie has helped get you through. What age is he now?

I sobbed again today. I had had a stressful morning at work and was driving home for lunch. You know, you just forget sometimes. I suddenly had the feeling of 'at least its lunch time' and I looked forward to seeing Bob as I had done so many times. Those are tough times, when you forget just for a second and then you realise he won't be there with his big lab grin and wagging tail. SO tough!

I have attached my favourite photo of Bobby as a puppy. Take care.

FB_IMG_1449854684438.jpg

Your "pup" is gorgeous too!  Arlie's best friend is a yellow lab named Sammy.  

Arlie is nearly eight years old now, and you're right, he is my companion and family, along with the cats.

We are blessed to have them in our lives, I just wish it lasted longer!  They say Arlie's life span is 9.5 years for every human year, instead of the seven years for a smaller dog...big dogs age faster and he's gigantic!  I love it when I get Arlie kisses!

• Upvote 1

Thank you MartyT for your kind words. It really helps to know that there are people out there who understand.

I hope Arlie lives to a ripe old age kayc. I feel blessed that Bob lived to ten. He had medical conditions from an early age and at 7 he had 3 operations for eating foreign objects. Silicon cupcake cases, two and a half wooden spoons and a small twig. If it smelt of food it was fair game! The twig probably had cat poo on it! Typical lab! That's when the insurance premium rocketed. 

I miss Bobby kisses. When I was crying the other day I thought, if he was here he would be licking my tears away and wagging his tail. Miss him x

BJ,

My dog is the same way.  If they cut him open, no telling what they'd find!  We had someone on here that said her dog ate a razor blade once!  Go figure.  Dogs are gluttons.

I think that's how they investigate...through their stomachs. :)

I bet you do miss Bobby kisses.  Dogs are wonderful.  Someone once said here, the pain of our loss equals the love we shared, and I think that's right.  It's true for me, having lost my husband and my granddoggy, Skye.  Some you just never get over or forget.

I believe in Shadowlands, CS Lewis'wife says 'The pain is part of the loving'. If we love so much then the pain will follow. But the love is worth it.

A razor blade! Doesn't bear thinking about!

I tried to foster a dog a few weeks ago. He had health problems. I lasted a few hours but really wasn't ready. Thankfully the rescue understood and already had someone else lined up. I thought it would fill a hole but it just made me realise how big the hole was! X

Well that dog lived through the razor blade incident as they had surgery on him.  Amazing, really.  I had a dog that swallowed a treble hook with fishing line attached, and amazingly, passed the whole thing!

It'd be hard to foster a dog with health problems.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost a brother black lab (my dads dog) a couple years ago and it still hurts as well.  I just lost my beautiful boxer/pit mix and it's so heart wrenching. I've never used forums like this before either but I was desperate for help because I felt so sad that I couldn't handle it. I hope that time has helped you and I hope it helps me as well. Christmas is such a rough time too but you should definitely get another dog. Anyone with a heart big enough to love so much is deserving of always having animals. They need us as much as we need them and there are so many out there that need human love. I wish you the best and happy holidays! 

Thank you Jolyne. I am sorry to hear of your losses too and it is helping to know that others feel as strongly as me. I will get another dog in the future, but not for a while. Keeping Bob healthy and well meant I had to use my credit card when I could no longer afford the insurance and I now have to pay it off. I need to know I can afford to take care of my next dog just as well and I also need to make sure I don't add further financial pressure onto myself. Bobby was worth it all and deserved the best. He was there for me in the darkest of times. 

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Hi BJ --- you will know when it is time to foster or adopt.  Step by step you have other "things" to take care of.

We , here, know the loneliness of missing a  beloved dog or cat; a soul kitty or dog, a heart kitty or dog.   And holidays seem to amplify the pain.

We are all here for you.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Marj37. I would love another dog in the future. You find it hard to believe you will ever love another dog as much again. I had a poodle when I was 7. I had longed for a dog and he lived to 15 years old. I never thought another dog could mean more. Then along came Bob. We were so close. I think it was because I needed him so much when husband left. No dog may ever mean so much but I hope to have that special relationship with another beautiful dog one day x

• Upvote 1