Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Research Study: You are invited to participate.

MartyT

Dear Ones, the following invitation comes to us from Hofstra University, where researchers are conducting a study to understand the variety of psychological and physical health consequences of losing a loved one: 

Has someone that you care about died within the last five years? Grief is an unfortunate, and often incredibly distressing, part of life. We are interested in learning more about grief experiences and the way that grief impacts your daily life. If you are 18 years or older and have lost a loved one in the last five years, please consider completing the survey at the link below. The survey will require approximately 30-40 minutes to complete and, in exchange for your participation, you will be entered into a raffle drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card. For more information or to participate in the study, please click on the following link:

https://l.facebook.com/l/dAQEB3LYHAQGm9NoxanKhMR7DOUAo4t64_sCs0l-ro7OVaQ/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surveymonkey.com%2Fr%2Fgriefexperiences

I was able to fill it out about losing my mom but my answers would have been very different if I could have filled this out about my husband.  Interesting that they limit you to loss within five years...honestly, five years, ten years, it's all the same to me.

Be prepared, this would be very hard to fill out on a recent loss of spouse and it's a very lengthy survey.

Of course!

Thank you, Anne. I have passed along your reaction too. I am grateful to both of you for taking the survey anyway, as I think these folks will make good use of whatever data they collect, and eventually the results will be used to help all of us better understand and support the bereaved.

Here is the researcher's response to Kay's comment:

Hi Marty, Thanks for passing along the information. I agree that the 5 year time limit is a bit arbitrary. I certainly expect that for many people - likely very importantly impacted by the specific loss - a death 6 years ago or 25 years ago will still be very present in the person's day-to-day lives. We ultimately decided on the 5-year requirement so that we could have some way of clearly describing who our participants were in an aggregated way as we looked at the results we collect. I'm very grateful this individual was willing to stick with the survey, despite the length. There are so many questions to ask and so much valuable information that these people can share. I sincerely appreciate her feedback and your sharing it with me. I will be sure that it gets recorded for any future work or research projects that may result from this one. Thank you again for being willing to post our study on your site. It's already proving incredibly valuable!