Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Voices from the beyond?

Clematis

My mom experienced the 6th sense too, it was weird, something you can't explain but it was there.

• Upvote 1

I think someone who is gifted with it doesn't lose it, it's a matter of being open to it, although it seemed to come unbidden to her.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On June 12, 2016 at 7:48 PM, kayc said:

I think someone who is gifted with it doesn't lose it, it's a matter of being open to it, although it seemed to come unbidden to her.

I think that people are aware of different things, but no one has it all. Some people are highly attuned to visual art or music, but not very sensitive to social phenomena. Others are very sensitive to things about numbers and patterns but oblivious to other things. I can sense three dimensional lines in music, can pick up on sensations from flowers and fruits, and I can hear my dad talking to me, but it happens frequently that I am totally unaware of ordinary things going on around me. It's gotten better and I have worked on that, put people saw me as totally "spaced out" because I missed so much. It's better but I still miss stuff others are aware of. But I hear and sense my dad around me every day.

It sure has been a lot of work pulling off what I have done this summer towards my move. It's funny-I was in the grocery store tonight before dinner and was thinking about all of this-and I heard my dad say to me, I really wish I could have been there to help you with this. Not like how I was at the end, but how I was when I was young and strong and could really do things. Yeah, Daddy-so do I. I really with we could have worked through this together, but it was just like - all of a sudden you were gone, leaving me to flounder through things as best I could.

• Upvote 1

I was having a dream about my dad this morning when I woke up. I was helping some people get ready for a community play and he wandered in. He looked great and not much older than my age. He was walking as well as he ever did and I had trouble keeping up with him as he went to the door. I commented on his walking and he said he'd been working on his therapy-and laughed. I kind of woke up-cricket noise from cell phone-a text message. I went back into the dream several times, trying to ask him questions and then partially woke up every time the cat started kneading my neck. I asked him why he hadn't been back to his house, since he seemed ok, and he said he doesn't need it anymore. He also told me that I should get up and go help my friends (go paint my house).

I got up because his house phone was ringing--someone trying to defeat Hillary Clinton. I tried telling the guy that my dad was dead and wouldn't be voting, but it had switched to a recording so I hung up. As I walked around the house, he kept talking to me.  I heard him say, "I'm not dead - I'm right here."  I was thinking that I am sure working hard dealing with the property of a guy who isn't even dead, while worrying about my sisters' pressure even though they are not talking to me. I wear him say, "oh the hell with 'em", which had been one of his favorite expressions. 

I went out to the kitchen to make breakfast and heard him say, Say "Hi" to Doctor Singer for me" (I have an appointment midday today for my annual physical). Then I heard him singing one of his favorite tunes to sing around the house...I used to really miss that in his last years. He never sang or whistled while walking around the house. But there he was, singing this song--one of his old favorites:

I've got sixpence: jolly, jolly sixpence
I've got sixpence to last me all my life.
I've got tuppence to spend
I've got tuppence to lend
And tuppence to send home to my wife, poor wife.

No cares have I to grieve me,
No pretty little girl to deceive me.
I'm happy as a lark, believe me,
As we go rolling rolling home.
Rolling home (rolling home)
Rolling home (rolling home)
By the light of the sil-ver-y moo-oo-oon
Happy is the day when we line up for our pay
As we go rolling rolling home.

• 1 month later...

I had another dream about my dad. He clearly had come to visit me, and he brought my mother with him. She didn't really say anything, which was ok. He was there to help me and she just happened to be there. We were all down at my dad's house and his furniture was all still at my house, and so a minimum of furniture was at his place, as is true. Repeatedly since his death I have tried to remember what the combination was for the keyless entry for his car - now my car. I have also beseeched him to tell me what it is, and suggested to him that he should tell it to me in a dream or something. I have often wished that we had gone out in the car together so he could explain a few things. I have figured most of this out by now, except that blasted code!

So in this dream,  he was showing me something in a little paperback book and telling me something about how he remembered the code, but all I got out of it was part of his old phone number in PA. Then we went outside to the car and were standing under some ledge while it was pouring rain and he was pointing to the door of the car. Then he asked me if there was anything else he could do for me. I looked at him, thinking "Yeah - a ton of stuff!" But he looked at me and said, "No, not like that - like information", and I couldn't think of anything. He said not to worry, that he wasn't going to leave me stranded. And then he disappeared and I woke up.

I walked over to the car, which was parked at his condo, first thing this morning, trying the part of his phone number that came from the dream. No luck. But my memory of his relating the code when he was alive was how he remembered the code based on its relationship to his old home phone number. I kept thinking about the book he was showing me. This afternoon it finally occurred to me that I should look in the owner's manual (little paperback book). It said the number was in three places, and the only one that seemed likely to find was on the underside of the trunk lid. I walked over, looked around in the trunk and finally stood under the trunk lid looking up at it, since it was starting to rain and right in front of my face was a sticker with a five digit number. I ran over to the door, punched in the number, and the door clicked! It worked! I have no idea what his system related to his old phone number - that part makes no sense to me, but no matter. Eight months and I finally got the number!

• Upvote 2

Clemantis, you say your dad speaks full sentences and you  mentioned that on at least one occassion someone else seemed to hear him too, but how do you distinguish his voice from your thoughts.  How do you know you aren't just thinking of his voice which you know well, saying things he's be likely to say?

• Upvote 1

The other "someone" would probably be my cat, Lena. This hasn't happened in a while, but there were a number of times in the beginning when he seemed to be playing with or teasing the cat and she was responding to that, suddenly zigzagging around in a way that is different from her independent bursts of energy. The things he has said to me are novel but relevant and not things I ever heard him say before. Also, the character of what he has said to me after his death is of a sweeter, gentler quality than when he was alive. He is also more effusive in his spirit state or whatever it is. He was more restrained when he was alive.

I remember times when he had watched me doing something, like playing music in public, alone or with a group, and afterwards I went up to him and his face was wet with tears. I'd ask him what he thought and he'd say, "It was interesting". I found this very frustrating - obviously he was moved to tears and that's all he could say! "It was interesting" is a non-comment; it doesn't express any thoughts or feelings at all. I knew how he felt, but I wanted to hear the words. 

There were times when someone commented on my devotion to him and he would get choked up and say, "Oh, she's wonderful". Eventually, he would say that to me. We would be talking and I'd tell him (like I did many times) that I didn't want to be a selfish pig and keep him all to myself if he thought he'd enjoy the company of others in assisted living. I'd tell him that I'd do anything possible to support his choice and make it happen, although my personal preference was that he remain living less than two minutes from my door. And he'd say, "Oh, you've been wonderful!" Wonderful and Interesting - a two word vocabulary. From a truly brilliant man who wrote for a living. Huh.

He is a lot more effusive now when he talks now, as if whatever was keeping his feelings in check and his words under strict control is gone or has shifted. He is a lot more expressive. I think it's interesting, but I'm not sure what that means. I just listen to him. The other thing I would say, in answer to your question to how I can distinguish his voice in spirit voice from the thoughts in my head is this. It's external and feels different. It's not exactly the same as another live person in the room, but it doesn't feel like my own thoughts. I do think that somehow it's coming through me but not from me. I think it's something that he is doing, but I have no idea how. And maybe that sounds crazy. Maybe it is. Schizophrenics say the same thing when you ask them to describe the "voices" they hear. They say it's different than their own thoughts because it is coming from outside their head, but it is also different from another live person in the room. I think that's why schizophrenics are so unnerved by "the voices" - they come clearly from outside themselves, but they don't see anyone and no one else can hear or see the source.

I think there are a lot of things we just can't understand or explain. A lot of people agree with that, and they are more likely to experience things that cannot be explained by science. There are cultures in which it is generally believed that your loved ones come back or stay with you in a spirit form to guide you as a spirit guide or a guardian angel or just themselves, and in those cultures, it is a typical if not universal experience. People who believe everything can be explained by science seem to be less likely to experience "paranormal" occurrences. Until something happens that they cannot explain, which sometimes moves them into the other camp because it's something they can't ignore or deny that it happened. Hope that helps.