Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mother's Day

On Facebook, all my in-laws have 1 group CHAT private message.  It's where anyone on my wife's side of the family can say hi in an instant message on Facebook & everyone on her side of the family can see it.   Today they brought up Mother's Day plans.   I was so close to saying "Guys, respect my feelings on this matter, someone's mother just died 2 weeks ago."   I felt angry & sad at the same time.   I don't want that day to come so fast.  She died too close to Mother's Day, died on the 15th, then 23 days later, Mother's Day, UGH!

I think I would get out of there, is there a way to temporarily leave the group?  If there's an administrator I would explain to them that it's too fresh and too painful to view a discussion on Mother's Day.

Mother's Day will always be difficult for me. I've lost my beloved mom and of course my beautiful, sweet Tammy was a mom. Everything is made more sorrowful and difficult by the fact my birthday is May 10th and is so close to (or sometimes falls on) Mother's Day.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did my best to lay low on Mother's Day.  I lost my mom in 1999 after a short battle with cancer (from when it was found to the day she died was 11 days).  She had suffered a stroke 12 years previous, and it was my job as the unmarried daughter to take care of most of her needs.  When I went back to work, some of those duties fell on my father.  It wasn't an easy 12 years.  I loved my mom, but our relationship was never a warm, loving one.  I learned to forgive her while I became her caregiver.  She learned from her mother, and it wasn't a loving relationship either (she never talked about it).  The thing that always made it worse, was that she adored her older sons (she remarried and I was raised with her sons; my half-brothers).  She showered them with all the love I waited for my entire life.  So, since she passed, I would honor her on Mother's Day because she was my mom.  But I hadn't had the sadness before that I had this year.  My older brother posted a picture of her on Facebook, and it stabbed me in the heart.  Of course he has such warm and wonderful memories of her...he got the mother I wanted.  This is the second Mother's Day since Mark died, and seeing that picture made me REALLY miss her.  I grieved for her when she had her stroke; that was when I really lost her, and I became the parent.  So now I am glad that Mother's Day is done and won't hear about it again until next year.

• Upvote 1