I'm very familiar with dog vomit. Marley tends to throw up easily, always on the carpet!

Different subject here, but I watched the CMA Awards tonight, only because it was supposed to celebrate the music of top female singers. A big disappointment to me. My brain is still living in the 60's and 70's expecting music of Patsy Cline(my favorite), Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, etc. You get the picture. Although it was co-hosted by Reba and Dolly, alongside Carrie Underwood, who are these new people and where did country music go? As Barbara Mandrell sang "I was country when country wasn't cool" and I don't even know what genre to call it anymore. I guess everything changes over time and we sure can't go back and ask time to stand still. If we could, none of us would be here. 

Peace 

• Like 3

My dad liked old country music, he never would have considered what is out now as "country."

Interestingly, my scripture for the day today is "Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls for he has no one to help him up."  I've read that before but it's been a long time...it hit me now how true it is after all these years of being alone.  Yeah, but what can you do about it?!  It's like, "Duh, Ralph!"

• Like 1

My dad was a bluegrass/old country music fan and participant.  Daddy had the tremor like I inherited from him.  He would sing me to sleep with Jimmie Rodgers's "All Around the Watertank" and that probably is not the name.  He knew all his old songs.  Daddy could play any musical instrument and his music came from a genre of old country, blues, folk and bluegrass.  On Monday nights (before A/C) we had our own little town "Louisiana Hayride" music for years at our house.  People would sit in their yards and on our big front porch to hear the music.  His favorite was, of course, Jimmie Rodgers from Meridian, Mississippi.  He was called "The Singing Brakeman" and "The Blue Yodeler" and my daddy could yodel with the best.  Jimmie Rodgers lived from 1897 to 1933.  My dad lived from 1919 to 1984.  I awoke every morning to the red and black plastic radio on top of the refrigerator turned to KWKH, Shreveport which carried the country format until the 2000's.  Then it switched to sports radio.  (Daddy was gone by then.) Before that though, all us country kids woke up each school morning listening to Red Souvine, Webb Pierce, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Faron Young, and we had the famous Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport.  I knew nothing but country, so I am, had to be, country.  .On my wedding  day a man named Willard Cox came to the front of the house and talked to Daddy and me.  (He was a friend of my dad's). He was the patriarch of "The Cox Family" and you can hear them on movies that play bluegrass in the background.  Willard passed away last week.  Billy liked music, to listen to.  Was not a big music fan.  My dad was the only one in a close family that had the talent to play any instrument "by ear" which meant he picked it up and he played and sang not really knowing the notes.  Did not keep him from playing with bands in the area and in later years they entertained the residents of the nursing homes.  I was very aware of Elvis, The Everly Brothers, and some like that, but the Beatles never hit home with me.  My dad's friend would sing Elvis songs for me and an old Bob Luman song called "Red Cadillac and a Black Mustache"   So you see where my down to earth countryness comes from. 

My granddaughter is a music aficionado.  She knows popular music back to Sinatra, and loves it.  (She very much dislikes country music)  In my elderly years I listen to one song of Led Zeppelin, all of Queen, Journey, all the old groups from the 80's, 90's and now.  I listen to old country when I am by myself going back up into Arkansas.  Would like to hear Slim Whitman again.  George Jones and Merle Haggard make me cry, so I don't listen to them.  

Living now, we lose something in the interpretation.   

• Like 1

Marg,

Being from West Virginia, Ron was Bluegrass all the way. My first visit there, the porches were full of old guys and their banjos. In fact, my BIL is an excellent banjo player. We had a ton of CD's that I got rid of after Ron left. Most of them were just too twangy for me.

When I was 11 and shoveling(for free rides) at the stable in Colter Bay, Wy, we drove in to Jackson Hole and I bought my first "45's", "Don't Take Your Guns To Town" by Johnny Cash and "Please Help Me, I'm Fallin'" by Hank Locklin. I was hooked. I guess that era of country music just spoke to me. On the awards show, Dolly said she heard if you played a country record backwards, you'd get your house back, your dog back, and your wife would come back. If it were only that easy................

• Like 3

I love what Dolly said.  If only........  There is some country I like in classics like Patsy Cline.  I am more into country rockish stuff.  More upbeat even if it’s about something sad.  Used to go dancing all the time and that was really fun.  My former husband and I did some amazing stuff.  Twirls and spins.  I just downloaded a new song by Luke Bryan called What She Wants Tonight.  Reminded me of Steve and my younger years when love and sex were so intense.  I love Reba and Dolly.  Reba’s a good actress too.  Ah, to be so talented.  Steve was folk music.  He did covers of top 40 when he started ou  got into redoing classics and eventually writing his own.  I’m really hard rock at the core so it was quite the span of music around here.  He played the banjo and flute for a short time, but guitar, bass and keyboards were his go to's.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marg M said:

I was very aware of Elvis, The Everly Brothers, and some like that, but the Beatles never hit home with me.  My dad's friend would sing Elvis songs for me and an old Bob Luman song called "Red Cadillac and a Black Mustache".  

Marge:  Oh yes I too was very aware of Elvis as a teenager.  Growing up in New Orleans as a teenager in the late fifties I stood in line for hours to get in to see Elvis perform at the Municipal Auditorium.  Lucky for myself and my girl friend we were on the second row from the stage.  We giggled, screamed and cried as we watched him sing and gyrate those hips.  Another  summer evening one of my girl friends had heard Elvis was again in New Orleans and was sighted at the  Bali Hai (spell?) Restaurant at Lake Pontchartrain Beach having dinner.  Off we went - we lived close to the Lake, and managed to get a few feet from him as he ate.  Silly teenagers, but fun memories.

My family were all country folk from Choctaw County, Mississippi, so I was always hearing country music on the radio or phonograph.   I never met my grandfather, but I have his old fiddle that he played and supposedly was the top fiddler in his little town. 

Thanks for the memories, Dee.

• Like 1

So true about the bango, Marty. My BIL plays a mean "Deliverance".

Don't know much about folk music, Gwen. My knowledge is limited to Arlo Guthrie's "City Of New Orleans" and "Alice's Restaurant". Haven't heard them in ages, but love them both. Almost forgot Joan Baez, one of my very favorites.

Dee,  Ricky Nelson came to one of the bar/clubs here when he was a bit older and in his country phase. Ran out of seating so they shuffled us to the floor right in front of the stage. Sat about 3 feet from him(swoon)! He looked so handsome in his brown cord jacket. Oh, to be 25 again. I've been to a few concerts and it's funny how different the crowds are. Respecful at Kitaro, wild and crazy at Aerosmith, laid back at Johnny Rivers, rambunctious at Brooks and Dunn, stoned at Moody Blues, and all of the above at Eagles, which was a huge crowd at the ASU stadium. Loved them all!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Dee,  Ricky Nelson came to one of the bar/clubs here when he was a bit older and in his country phase. Ran out of seating so they shuffled us to the floor right in front of the stage. Sat about 3 feet from him(swoon)! He looked so handsome in his brown cord jacket. Oh, to be 25 again. I've been to a few concerts and it's funny how different the crowds are. Respecful at Kitaro, wild and crazy at Aerosmith, laid back at Johnny Rivers, rambunctious at Brooks and Dunn, stoned at Moody Blues, and all of the above at Eagles, which was a huge crowd at the ASU stadium. Loved them all!

Karen K:  Yes I remember how handsome Ricky Nelson was - And yes, it would great to be 25 again and so carefree.  Sounds like you did get to see quite a few concerts - How fun. 

My husband had all kinds of music in his collection -  His selection was as versatile as he was.  Among his collection was "Dueling Banjos - Deliverance".   We did get to see Roy Clark once and his banjo talents - I think it was in Seattle many years ago.   Dee

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah yes, The Eagles.  One of my all time favorites.  Great songs.  I used to commute thru Winslow, AZ and Albuquerque and every time I went thru there (you had to take local streets at the time) Take It Easy played in my head.  Absolutely loved Glenn Frey's voice.  Easy on the eyes too!  😍

• Like 1