Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If You're Going Through Hell

Someone had mentioned on FB this morning about many of our friends having flu-like symptoms, a dry cough that would not go away, when they  went to the doctor, the regular flu was ruled out.  This was just before this virus.  I remember many being ill, and we were wondering if maybe this flu had invaded some before we knew about it.  I know I'm so paranoid that anything at all I notice.  I don't drink but my morning cup of coffee and if I go without it I will have a headache.  Oh the paranoia, headache, the new flu.  Nope, fixed coffee and it went away, temperature stays 97.7 and will hit 98 sometimes.  Always below normal.  I'm old, my immune system should be on the bottom floor.  Watching out for my kids and granddaughter.  Scott works at the VA and they take his temperature before work each evening, make them put their street clothes into locker and change to clean scrubs, then change again when going home.  They have all the Purell dispensers, antibiotic sprays, gloves, masks, but still I'm afraid.  And my daughter drove me to Arkansas Friday and she would not let me do anything.  She is not well, but acted as strong as an ox.  Granddaughter had a bloody nose, but has not left the house since the stay at home orders.  She would have a bloody nose ever so often as a child.  A/C and heat environment.  Everyone seems okay.  Perhaps the best thing to do is not watch the news so much.  

• Like 4

I second your last sentence, Marg.  Absolutely, definitely limit watching the news.  The fear is inching towards paranoia already and after my experience in the ER yesterday, it may get worse.  I check the latest updates and that is it.  Just want to know if any new protocols or restrictions are in place.  Don’t want to hear about death rates, projected or real, endless stories of suffering.  I don’t stick around to hear he neighbor helping neighbor thing anymore because as great as that is, it’s stll keeping my brain focused on the virus.  Living day to day does that enough as it is.  That’s why I prefer the night.  Feels just a little more normal to be home like everyone else.  The days are just too weird.  Can’t tell weekends from weekdays anymore.  That’s freaky.  They say to keep your normal schedule, but you can only do that at home.  Can’t go to places like we did.  I so miss volunteering and seeing my counselors face to face.

• Like 3

Kay, great suggestion about the tp. I would not have thought of that. Just checked Staples and all was out of stock. Office Depot has some(for now). A little pricey, but it beats using cactus(not a lot of corn fields around here).   Lol. Will keep that in mind when we get low again.😁

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Marg M said:

Scott works at the VA and they take his temperature before work each evening, make them put their street clothes into locker and change to clean scrubs, then change again when going home.  They have all the Purell dispensers, antibiotic sprays, gloves, masks, but still I'm afraid.

Marg:  I hear you about being afraid where our kids are concerned.  Your son is in a precarious work place.  Thank goodness for the safety measures he has to follow. 

My son is a truck driver and is out around people.  All warehouses where he picks up or drops 0off semi loads of goods are practicing social distancing - he is not allowed into the warehouse offices anymore.  The paperwork is squeezed through a small opening in a window.  As he told me about all the changes, I told him I was thankful for the changes although he is feeling "unclean".  I told him these changes are for their protection as well as his.  He is so much like his Dad who was a people person, and requires interacting with people more instead of being shunned. 

Stay well and safe all.  Dee     

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KarenK said:

A little pricey, but it beats using cactus(not a lot of corn fields around here).

You got a smile out of me, Karen!  Nope, can't imagine using Cacti!

My gripe for the day..........

The virus is rampant.....People everywhere are dying.......Our lives are turned upside down.....And yet, my city in it's infinite wisdom is still concerned that there is grass growing in the cracks of the sidewalk. A city inspector is still driving around giving out warnings and citations for this heinous offense. Perhaps his time would be better spent watching for these nuts that are going around licking & spitting on groceries. GET REAL, PEOPLE!

Off my soapbox!

• Like 4

True, the perspective we have now has changed...we've learned what is important...and what isn't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Things are quieting down up here........My area is a suburb of a city of 1 million people, 500 cases, and 7 deaths all from Senior homes...We are safe up here....The economy is past dead as its mostly Oil and Gas...Planting flowers today(seeds), bring them in at night......Taking Bike out daily, only 20 minutes till  my muscles get accustomed....Day 7 of my Keto plan diet...going to turn this shut in towards a positive....stay safe..

• Like 3

Our state has 24,523 (reported) with 1296 deaths, 7044 recovered.  (If my numbers are close).  My parish has 65 confirmed and two deaths.  On each side of us one parish has 41 with three deaths, on the opposite side 188 with 10 deaths.  What started our state off wrong was Mardi Gras where everyone is together in parades, parties, street celebrations and it took off like wildfire in New Orleans.  Kelli started  with a fever, but she has never quit having a fever since infusion of platelets for her blood disease.  Her body is rebuilding new platelets, but tries to fight off the foreign entry also with the fever.  Her main physician (a hematologist) did the swab in her nose and punctured her sinus cavity, now she has a sinus infection (ENT put sutures), and her virus swab was negative.  Scott works at the VA and one of the workers died of it before he came on working.  His swab was negative also.  

I wish they would let the medical experts run the country in this time and the people who get in the way, cut off funds,  stockpile respirators where no one can find them and even keep safety equipment away from health workers, I wish they would just get out of the way and let people who know what they are doing, do their job.  

It is a mess and hard to understand how they can involve poly-ticks in a pandemic will be something I can never understand.  

• Like 3

Kevin, your area's numbers are much better than in the US.  Too many came into our country with it before the borders closed, it was rampant before we knew.  We didn't have the testing capabilities, enough labs to keep up, enough kits, enough PPE, still don't.  Our leaders were ill-prepared for handling something of this magnitude.  It's ruined our economy, our unemployment is higher than it's been since the depression.  I don't know that our gov't or society will ever recover from this.

You are doing something constructive about something you CAN control and that combats the negativity all around, in the news, etc.  It's helped me too...I'm four pounds from goal, still don't have a current picture as I'm not good at selfies, waiting to be with my son again so he can take one.  My numbers are good, even if not as low as I'd like, better than they've been since being diagnosed years ago.  I'll keep on keeping on.

Marg, sounds like they should have canceled Mardi Gras this year.  (our state was on lockdown long before that) My sister used to live there, it's wild.  I agree with your sentiments, they should forget politics and do what is best for people's health!  I'm sickened when I hear some of it, have to protect myself from over-saturation.  I read the paper, listen to the news and Inside Edition but skim the Coronavirus as it's too much and nothing I can personally control so it leaves me feeling helpless/depressed/worried, I choose to protect myself from too much and only glean what I need to know.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kayc said:

Marg, sounds like they should have canceled Mardi Gras this year. 

The Mardi Gras carnage had already happened before we got word that it was spread in crowds.  Some of our North Louisiana cases were involved in the parades and it was a time for companies to schedule their meetings at the big conference rooms while the celebration was going on.  Our first death in this parish was a young woman who had attended a company meeting during the Mardi Gras celebration.  Lived here, brought up from New Orleans.  Scattered after that because many attend Mardi Grasa.  

"Mardi Gras (/ˈmɑːrdi ˌɡrɑː/), or Fat Tuesday, refers to events of the Carnival celebration, beginning on or after the Christian feasts of the Epiphany (Three Kings Day) and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday, which is known as Shrove Tuesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday", reflecting the practice of the last night of eating rich, fatty foods before the ritual Lenten sacrifices and fasting of the Lenten season.

Related popular practices are associated with Shrovetide celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent. In countries such as the United Kingdom, Mardi Gras is also known as Shrove Tuesday, which is derived from the word shrive, meaning "to administer the sacrament of confession to; to absolve".[1]"

Copied from Wikipedia.  It is actually a celebration, (I believe) that has to do with the Catholic Church and goes back years and years.  I'm not Catholic but was always glad to get the day off as a holiday, I think they call it "Fat Tuesday" and I'm not sure of that.  We have it in North Louisiana and thank goodness Kelli was on one of the floats.  She got into it a few years ago as a photographer.  (This was in Shreveport, in North Louisiana, as most cities celebrate it also. )  I meant thank goodness she was on a float because she was not mixed in with the crowds.  The crowds spread it, no one knew it was coming, no one knew to quarantine at that time.

This is what is sad, our largest areas of outbreak are in our black neighborhoods, either because they are not isolating enough or/and the main cause is lack of insurance to pay the exorbitant medical fees that are still charged.  

My friend passed away the 16th at 9:30 p.m.  She is out of pain, and I know the worries she had for her family, we shared the same ones, but she could not afford to quit working.  She was actually more beautiful than in high school, and she was pretty then.  Her personality and her heart made her shine like gold.  My only solace is with my belief, her husband that she missed so much, he was waiting for her with open arms.  She will not be in mental pain with worry, she finally got to quit work, and with her daughter dying and her brother also, I don't know how she could have held up.  She was a woman for all seasons, my sister in comfort, and my confidant as I was hers.  I will miss her.  She does not hurt anymore.  She went fast, like Billy did.  You don't want those you love to hurt, you don't want anyone to hurt.  She was very quiet about her problems and only a few of us knew the pain she was suffering, she suffered in silence and many did not know she was ill.  Totally unselfish, and I know a beautiful Angel, as she was on Earth.   

• Like 4

Watched something yesterday that said keep your humidifier on....virus have a hard time surviving with humidity.....Lady was nurse in her 60's, interviewer asked if she had Humidifier on, she said you betcha....stay safe

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 10:30 PM, Marg M said:

I wish they would let the medical experts run the country in this time and the people who get in the way, cut off funds,  stockpile respirators where no one can find them and even keep safety equipment away from health workers, I wish they would just get out of the way and let people who know what they are doing, do their job.  

It is a mess and hard to understand how they can involve poly-ticks in a pandemic will be something I can never understand.  

You're right Marg. Politics should not be discussed here. I have cancelled my post.

22 minutes ago, scba said:

(Disclaimer: I'm not American nor live in America. My opinion is just mine) 

We are not supposed to talk poly-ticks, or really religion, but we sorta sneak in our belief sometimes.  And, I don't think it takes geniuses in other countries to understand we have a tweeter bird for our leader and a twit also.  

• Like 3

Politics and religion are part of each of us.  Politics doesn’t impact grief, but religious beliefs do.  I’m not a religious person, but I’m glad people can express their beliefs here as it pertains to them.  Would never want that squelched.  I’ve learned a lot about different beliefs and given me things to think about.  All we have to do to is always remember it’s each persons comfort and valid to them. 

• Like 1

This is airborne, so common sense would dictate we not be in crowds.  Some people are in denial about the seriousness for this, for that reason the governor should have had the sense to cancel it to protect people from themselves.  There have been pictures of beaches in FL with revelers congregating in throngs on the beaches, and I wonder what the governor is thinking not cracking down on this!  Regardless of what Mardi Gras is about, we missed Easter, Holy Day, Good Friday, St. Patties Day, other people are missing their special days, these are special times that call for special care.

Marg, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  That she is more beautiful now than in high school speaks for her spirit!  I'm sure she has a lot of people who will miss her.

On my other site, there are young people losing their spouse that didn't get to visit them in the hospital when they were dying, the parents and siblings unable to see their body/casket lowered into their grave (and they didn't die of this virus)...now the spouse is left alone, their own parents and siblings unable to be around them, can't be around friends, dealing with this horrible change to their lives all alone.  I can't imagine.  I think these are the worst of times to lose someone.  I never thought of myself as "lucky" when George died, but I see now that I was lucky to have my kids and sister with me, a church FULL of people paying their last respects to George, everyone from the mayor to the homeless, he touched a lot of lives.  My own pastor (not who I have now) went off on vacation when he died so I had to call someone across the state that George loved to do his funeral (a retired cop we had as interim pastor for a year).  It all worked out for the best, George would have loved how everything was done.  But what consolation do these people today have?  It's heartbreaking.

I agree, Gwen, I'm for freedom of speech, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else and is respectful.  We're all going to have different opinions on things.  Ana, no need to apologize, I didn't see anything amiss.  But I tend to post whatever comes out of my brain so that's not saying much. :wacko:

3 hours ago, kayc said:

This is airborne, so common sense would dictate we not be in crowds. 

Maybe Louisiana, swamps and all, might be part of that 3rd world country.  Mardi Gras is a weeks long celebration.  When this celebration started, we did not know about the virus.  The celebration and conventions continued, not knowing we had a killer virus among us.  Our first death in my parish (one of two) was a young woman who had attended a convention sponsored by her company.  No one knew there was a virus.  This every year event went on as planned, still not knowing about the virus.  While everyone was celebrating, the black cloud of doom fell upon the revelers.  They got out as soon as they heard...........too late for very many.  It spread fast.  Louisiana became one of the fastest spread.  As of today we have 25,258 with the virus with 1473 deaths, most from Orleans Parish.  But NJ is a small state, they have 92,387 with virus with 4753 deaths.  New York (who must have rented five big planes to come to Mardi Gras has 257,246 reported cases with 15,302 deaths.  True the Mardi Gras crowds spread it, (helped spread it)  but it was unknown during the biggest part of Mardi Gras.  No fault.  Happenstance.  

And, we as peons, none of us know if this was a mistake (as humans we want to think it was a mistake), as others who want to always find something to blame, they think it was China's way of world domination.  

Me, I wear my mask (still have some Lysol), have gloves, shower and wash my clothes if I have to get around people, and just try to stay away.  

22 hours ago, scba said:

You're right Marg. Politics should not be discussed here. I have cancelled my post.

Ana, you did nothing wrong.  Poly-ticks really have not been a problem.  Your country has been hard hit by this virus also.  The virus is not political. What I said was poly-tickal.  I hate poly-ticks with a passion.  That is why I call them "poly-ticks" which means many ticks.  Ticks are blood suckers.  So are politicians.  

We do not wear out a subject on religion.  Some believe, some do not.  We do not beg them to please change, please believe,   "We" believe God gives us free will.  So, in their free will they have a choice.  Myself, I don't have a choice, because I believe.

Poly-ticks, in my belief, we have free choice too.  And I tell everyone, friends and all, that if they talk poly-ticks, I will "hide, remove" that from my FB.  

We grieve, but what we are going through now, with this virus, you cannot be with your dying relative, no services, no nothing.  I've never been through something like this.  My relatives did with the Spanish flu  back in 1918 and 1919, and maybe Marty's dad might have been a young man, might have been a young doctor (probably a newborn), my dad was born in 1919, so none of us have gone through this before.  But Marty's dad had to have gone through being a doctor during the polio epidemic so maybe she has some remembrance of that.  I do, I was a small child but my  mom was so afraid for me to be in the sun, I think it was believed that the sun caused the disease.  And along came Jonas Salk and helped a lot of families and doctors.  We still had 3-4 patients in "iron lungs" when I started work at LSU.  They were absolutely in an Iron coffin from feet to head and a life like that was no life at all, but hopefully we will find a cure for this.  They did not totally find a cure for AIDS/HIV, I don't think, but made medicine where people could live  a long life with  it.  

I'm just saying (badly), if they would let our men of science/medicine have a free rein on this disease maybe they could find a vaccine.  But, our poly-tickians are holding them back.  They have got to set them free to help us.  ...............I'm through.  Not gonna delete it because of poly-ticks, but Marty can if she wants to.  Like I said, I hate poly-ticks.

7 hours ago, kayc said:

On my other site, there are young people losing their spouse that didn't get to visit them in the hospital when they were dying, the parents and siblings unable to see their body/casket lowered into their grave (and they didn't die of this virus)...now the spouse is left alone, their own parents and siblings unable to be around them, can't be around friends, dealing with this horrible change to their lives all alone.  I can't imagine.  I think these are the worst of times to lose someone. 

Although I felt alone when I lost Steve, I wasn’t.  I only talked to people on the phone at first, my BIL was also here for the last week then left, but when I started needing human contact, there were people all around.  I cannot even imagine going thru that without the option of seeing others.  There was no ceremony, just a gathering of his buddies for pizza, beer and music one night.  That was his wish.  Always make others happy if he could.  Anyway, the point being choice and this damned virus has killed so much life in so many ways.  From the obvious to how we have to exist now.  Had I not been able to be with Steve (much as a nightmare it was) I probably would have been arrested insisting on seeing him.  

Ive seen articles about birth during this time, precautions and stuff, but that is still a happy thing and can wait out visitors.  It’s life begun, not ended.  Basically, it’s life.  What we live with is not.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Marg M said:

none of us know if this was a mistake (as humans we want to think it was a mistake), as others who want to always find something to blame, they think it was China's way of world domination.  

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I lean more towards it started accidentally or got out of hand unintentionally, but I do believe they tried to minimize/cover up and that had dire consequences for the rest of the world.  Had they contained it from the beginning and warned us all, it would not be the pandemic it is today.  But hindsight is always easier, for all of us, China included.  It's human nature to justify, cover up, instead of accepting responsibility.

17 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I cannot even imagine going thru that without the option of seeing others.

In some ways this is worse than the Great Depression because at least they could see each other and work if they could get a job.  And they could gather together to comfort each other if their loved one died.  They could visit in the hospital.  They didn't have to worry about face masks being hot or too tight/uncomfortable, or needing sanitizer they can't get.  Granted they used Sears & Roebuck catalogs in lieu of toilet paper, but we don't even have that option anymore.  We are quickly heading into the financial arena, I sincerely hope no one commits suicide over the stock market.

• Like 1

I think it's man-made and hesitate to think of the purpose. Officials are constantly speculating about the "peak" period for certain areas. I don't think the virus reads the news and will do what it wants. I think it's here to stay, much as the yearly flu with no boundaries. Scary thought!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kayc said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I lean more towards it started accidentally or got out of hand unintentionally, but I do believe they tried to minimize/cover up and that had dire consequences for the rest of the world. 

We are quickly heading into the financial arena, I sincerely hope no one commits suicide over the stock market.

I also think this was downplayed when it began.  I don’t know if it was because it was viewed as a normal flu or that it was lack of responsibility.  What I do know is it how’s with our now advanced means of transportation how quickly something can get out of hand.  Just look how in technology how fast a virus an infect millions of computers instantaneously.  Pros and cons to every advancement.  

The financial arena has been hit so hard already and it will get worse.  Much will not recover like small neighborhood businesses that made each special for the people that live there beyond the big name retailers.  I’ll miss seeing my little neighborhood places that had been here for years dependent on the locals and popular to get away rom big chains.  I was impressed that Walmart, Starbucks and several others are turning down stimulus relief from the government to go to much needed programs for food, shelter and medical for people that need it.  State Farm matched donations up to $200000.00 which was great.  

I think there may be rises of suicide, or at least idealization.  This is test that is hard on everyone and more so on those alone who never have been by choice.  To avoid and be avoided is hard to live with.  That you can’t feel safe like going to an ER, for example, takes away some security.  People locked in abusive situations with nowhere to go.  It’s no secret I feel that way myself by my postings here.  Nature gave us a survival instinct, but it is surely being tested in this.  

Time for my drive.  Anything to escape the prison for a bit.  

• Like 1

Last two months got me thinking a bit different on whats really going on...... I think the social collateral damage will far exceed the disease.....The positives in Canada is we will get better care in our long term care homes(better wages for the workers), I hope better working conditions in our Food processing plants.....and less reliant on this Globilization /outsourcing/ and supply chain assumptions,,,........Opened my eyes to priorities....Africa is the big problem that is just starting and they have virtually no Health care.......

• Like 3

I got groceries yesterday, was disappointed they've let up on disinfecting the carts, giving instructions, keeping count of how many enter the store, but there were less people shopping so that was a plus.  Good to have it behind me for a while!  Gwen, I hope you enjoyed your drive.  

I honestly think China wanted to keep it quiet because they feared it biting them economically.  I do not think they were out to destroy the world!  

China has very old school mentality on bad news, shoot the messenger...and at least 5 levels the message has traverse, each level it gets watered down a bit...Agree with KayC, nothing intentional, but someone was careless....(or incompetent)

• Like 2