Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If You're Going Through Hell

15 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

But, Dee.......you just proved my point.  You need someone to text or exchange pictures with and them with you.  😎

I get your point Gwen .  I always take my cell phone when I'm driving for emergencies.   The blue tooth feature was nice when I used to be in my car more often......I don't drive anywhere anymore.  I do text my son every day to let him know I am awake and alive at the moment.  If I forget he'll text me with a "Hello?"  I still prefer to talk on my landline for long phone conversations instead of my cell phone.  The cell phone still doesn't seem like a real telephone to me.  Can't teach an old horse new tricks too easily. LOL 

I had an eventful morning going to the bank.  I have been rolling some loose coins my husband had accumulated and since there is supposed to be a coin shortage I thought I would do my civic duty and turn in the rolled coins.  I could only go through drive up window due to covid virus.  I put the small cloth bag full of rolled coins, the teller closed the pull out tray and the bag's closure string got caught in the drawer.  The teller couldn't open the drawer so the drawer had to be returned to me and as that happened everything fell on the ground.  Thank goodness the coins did not fall out and roll all over the driveway.  There was barely enough room between my car door and the bank wall.  I squeezed out of my car, bent over (not very ladylike) to pick the coins up.  The teller had on a mask and my hearing must be failing more than I realize cause I had to say more than once, "please say it again".   Not sure why teller had mask on as there was a thick glass window between us.   By the time I got the simple task of going to the bank completed, I was almost in tears.  Why does this life have to be so complicated anymore?  Excuse my whining.

On the plus side of today, I did get excused from jury duty for this upcoming selection.  After my fun trip to the bank I dropped off a letter to my doctor's office since I will need a letter from her to excuse me from jury duty forever.   I tried to call the office for the request, but with all the telephone options I felt it easier to just drop off my request.  Dee

• Like 3

Dee, it sounds like you had a very trying day.  I don't know why life has to be so complicated nowadays, it didn't used to be.  I hope your day goes better tomorrow.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, widow'15 said:

IBy the time I got the simple task of going to the bank completed, I was almost in tears.  Why does this life have to be so complicated anymore?  Excuse my whining.

On the plus side of today, I did get excused from jury duty for this upcoming selection.  After my fun trip to the bank I dropped off a letter to my doctor's office since I will need a letter from her to excuse me from jury duty forever.  

Oh, Dee.  You don’t need forgiveness for whining.  You’ve been thru so much recently.  It doesn’t matter the size of the task, its the fact they go wrong when they are so simple.  I’ve cried because I’ve dropped a sock after a long day of challenges or general depression.  Guess what? You’re human.  I don’t know how many times I’ve gotten back to my car and wanted to cry.  Our worlds are so changed and we think we will handle it the same,  it’s some inner wish that is never fulfilled.  Actually, I’m glad you shared this as I don’t feel like I’m alone in this craziness.  It’s especially hard when we feel we are going to achieve something we will feel good about and it goes south.

glad you got jury duty cancelled for good.  I say let suspected perpetrators have a jury of their peers and I definitely don’t fit in there with my altered personality. I look at the damage I’ve done to my car in the last couple of years because I think I’ve checked mirrors like the alert driver I was.  I would have normally have the slightest dent fixed, but not anymore.  Luckily nothing is obvious except to me as reminders my brain isn’t engaged much anymore.  I threw away part of something from it that came off I had no idea what is was for.  Days later, after trash had been picked up, I saw it was part of the wheel well from the other side  Don’t know what it did.  I don’t go to the dealer anymore.  Maybe next time a bulb burns out, I’ll ask.  

Anyway, this is where I get to say that word we hate.....you’re normal, Dee!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Anyway, this is where I get to say that word we hate.....you’re normal, Dee!

Gwen:  Yes, I guess this is my "new normal" like you say.  Not much to look forward to anymore unless it's to hope this pandemic ends so the additional aggravation in all of our lives will improve. 

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

glad you got jury duty cancelled for good.

Gwen:  I waiting to hear from the doctor's office that my doctor has written the letter excusing me from jury duty "forever".  But, at least I was excused this time.  Dee

• Like 3

This got me curious.  Apparently if your 75 or older, you can refuse just like that. Also when questioned if you say you don’t agree with laws can get you booted.  I’d be all for being a good citizen in my youth (didn’t vote for a long time so never got called), but not in my mid 60’s.  I’m not one of those fantastic seniors that keep going like an Energizer Bunny.  Wish I was.  Still wouldn’t want to sit around a courthouse tho.  Wonder how they DO juries these days?   

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 3:19 AM, Gwenivere said:

Actually, I’m glad you shared this as I don’t feel like I’m alone in this craziness

Yeah, I know what you mean.  In times past, when going on vacation north, almost to the Canadian border, we'd pass through small towns and cities, and see houses here and there where it was clear the roof was in need of repair, or the siding needed to be replaced, or windows clearly had seen better days.  I used to wonder why people didn't just spiff up their property, unless it was a matter of no funds or fixed income, which I could understand.  Now I suspect it's more along the lines of, "oh, well."  Sometimes the mere thought of dealing with the hassle, the contractors, the noise and mess, etc. is enough to make you exhausted.

• Like 2

I know I couldn't do it, for one things it's at least 1 1/2 hours away, to drive that every day would require me driving at night in the winter, can't count on driving on ice/snow nor can I do it in the dark.  It is also expensive and the pittance they pay does not equal your expenses for driving.    Nor could I leave Kodie alone day after day and I have no one to take care of him if I got put on a long trial.  In OR you get out of it at age 70 but I'm turning 68 not 70.  It would require a doctor's excuse to get out of it.  They tried me twice, once when I was nursing my baby, the other time when I was Office Mgr/Bkpr for a very busy mill, trucking company, and brokerage firm, my boss said he couldn't do without me, which he couldn't.  All the other years I could have done it until now but they never called me.

3 hours ago, Kieron said:

Sometimes the mere thought of dealing with the hassle, the contractors, the noise and mess, etc. is enough to make you exhausted.

And having dealt with contractors in the last few years (I lost many big bucks on bad ones!) I can see why they would rather bury their heads in the sand than go through it again!

Decided to get a haircut today.    All went well until Intried to leave.   Tripped on a wire on the floor.  Went down on both knees.  Two ladies helped me up.  Felt so stupid that I could not get up.   Got home and iced everything.  Two very sore knees and a sore arthritic foot.   Able to hobble around with a walker.  I assume it will be worse tomorrow.  I guess I am in for quite awhile.  My daughter did not want me to go, but I did!  Gin

• Like 5

Gin, I did the same a few days (weeks?) back.  Landed on both knees.  I just sat there with both legs stretched out so I could assess what damage I had done before I got up.  My granddaughter was just anxious to help me stand, but I was afraid to stand until I knew.  I felt an unusual pain over middle of left knee and had a skinned leg below my right knee.  I finally got myself up and both legs held me up good and I could walk.  The left knee actually did not bother me.  The thing that bothered me the most was my lower back the next few days, and I can understand that.  You will be sore, but hope with caution you are still able to move around.  

Honestly, with things the way they are at the hospitals and clinics, if we can stay away from those places, maybe we will be better off.  Hope you do not get too sore.  

• Like 3

Oh Gin!  Our worst fear of falling!  I hope you will be OK.  My knees are bad too, but inadd in my back.  The last fall I took was tripping on my own oxygen tubing.  Marg is right, things are so messed up with the virus we can’t easily get care if we needed.  Sorry about your fall too, Marg.  

Well, Gin, if any consolation, you got the hair cut, I was sure glad when I did.  I hope your daughter isn’t an 'I told you so!'.  You paid your dues.   😁

hope your knees are OK! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kayc said:

And having dealt with contractors in the last few years (I lost many big bucks on bad ones!) I can see why they would rather bury their heads in the sand than go through it again!

Yeah that's partly why I feel like I "should" sell this place because I don't want to deal with the kitchen --which could use an upgrade.  The last time we did a major remodel, things went south with the contractors.  The original guy split with his business partner, who took over, but then that one disappeared with a down payment, then some jerk who worked with him showed up to take over the job, but also flaked after starting the demo.  I took all three of 'em to small claims court in 3 different counties, about 8 years ago, and won each case by default b/c the jerks never showed up in court.  Then I went through the state Department of Labor & Industry to recover my court costs and my money, and got a whole new crew to finish what was left undone.  🙄  If the day comes where I do such a major project again, I will screen everyone so well, they'll feel like they are being pressed through a cheesecloth!

But in all honesty I probably won't do it.  I don't have the energy anymore.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

if any consolation, you got the hair cut,

Thank you.  I just really needed a smile today and you gave me one.  

If we were not under this quarantine I would not be going anywhere anyhow.  But, knowing our country is fighting some strange illness that I honestly do not think anyone has any answer to, my apprehension level is hitting the red mark.  And, I don't know what I am afraid of.  It is just like, "okay, life is at a standstill" and I have developed a paranoia over paper towels.  I am just sure they are price gouging us for them when I never really knew what the regular price was to begin with.  And, I don't know how I lived before paper towels.  They advertise 6 that are equal to 11 rolls.  Now, I know they are trying to put something over on me.  You have to risk your life to go buy them.  And you really can't get sick, that virus is the only thing anyone has time to treat.  And, they really do not know how to do that.  

Had a little family problem, still have it to some extent, but I had to take a stand and I did it rather firmly, I felt.  There is always some unfairness to someone and I wish things would run smooth.  I think there must be a full moon.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Gin said:

Decided to get a haircut today.    All went well until Intried to leave.   Tripped on a wire on the floor.  Went down on both knees.  Two ladies helped me up.  Felt so stupid that I could not get up.   Got home and iced everything.  Two very sore knees and a sore arthritic foot.   Able to hobble around with a walker. 

Oh Gin, I'm so sorry to read this.  I hope you didn't do damage to your knees.  You need to take it nice and easy for a few days.  Dee

• Like 3

Gin, I'm so sorry you fell. I hope your haircut was free after that. I remember slipping on a piece of food in Golden Corral many years ago. Landed on my rear. Worse part was the embarrassment of being helped up by a handsome young man. You all are doing it wrong. You're supposed to stay down until the handsome young firemen show up.  lol

• Like 5

Have any of you with arthritis ever taken Alpha Lipoic Acid for the pain? Ron used to take it for diabetic neuropathy. My son is trying to work again as we are in dire straits. When he got home yesterday, he was practically in tears from his undiagnosed hip pain. Despite xrays, ct scans, and mri's, there is still no answer. Grabbing at straws, we wonder if it might be arthritis even though he is only 40. He can't take pain meds because they make him sick.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Karen, I suffered from undiagnosed and excruciating hip pain for months and no one could explain why, despite (as you say) Xrays, CT scans, local cortisone injections, PT, etc. Finally, during a visit with my spine doctor (for scoliosis) a standing Xray of my spine was ordered, and it was only then that the problem with my hip was revealed. It showed bone on bone at the hip joint, with no space in between (where cartilage should have been). Apparently when I had been lying down for all those other tests, the problem didn't show up. Once that hip was replaced, the pain disappeared. Just a  thought: Your son might ask if someone could take an Xray of his hip while he is in a standing position.

And, in answer to your question, I've never taken the medication you mentioned.

• Like 2

Osteoarthritis, Karen ~ a condition that causes the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones to wear down over time. It can damage any joint, but in my case it has affected my knees, hips and spine, and most recently the fingers in my hands. I've had several surgeries over the years, including 3 spinal fusions and replacements of both hips and one knee . . . :wacko:

• Like 2

I take Alpha Lipoic Acid, Magnesium Bisglycinate, B12 among many other supplements.  They have greatly helped my neuropathy and I think the arthritis some.  I have severed nerves inside my carpal tunnel that I understand there is no coming back from, other than surgery to reconnect it, so no help there.  It's going to be a long arduous process that I don't know how I'll make it through being as I have no help and this is my right hand.  I will be out of commission for quite some time but I have to start with getting preauth from my ins.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gin said:

Decided to get a haircut today.    All went well until Intried to leave.   Tripped on a wire on the floor.  Went down on both knees.  Two ladies helped me up.  Felt so stupid that I could not get up.   Got home and iced everything.  Two very sore knees and a sore arthritic foot.   Able to hobble around with a walker.  I assume it will be worse tomorrow.  I guess I am in for quite awhile.  My daughter did not want me to go, but I did!  Gin

I hope your daughter does NOT say I told you so, none of us needs that and there's no way she could have foreseen the fall, any more than you could.  We all need our haircuts!  I hope yours looks and feels great!  How are your knees today?  And the rest of you?  I'm so sorry!  We're all at that age... :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MartyT said:

I've had several surgeries over the years, including 3 spinal fusions and replacements of both hips and one knee . . . :wacko:

I had written this whole spiel about relatives, personal, past, present history and just got rid of all of it.  Suffice it to say, I won't complain.  (Which is a lie, I have to complain.)  My admiration to all of us women.  We are all from sturdy stock.  

• Like 3

My pain is spinal stenosis and arthritis.  I know there is something else going on too with the lower leg swelling.  Surgery is the solution for the back, but I’m terrified of it.  IF I can hobble my way in, I see a vascular doc mid month about the calves and feet.  I have no idea how one would choose which to treat first.  I’d still be in pain anyway thru recovery.  I can’t do the good things like sit with good posture. Too much damage and I’m feeling it in my neck now too.  Mid spine has scoliosis.  When I was young, it didn’t impact me a bit.  

Marty, you’re like the bionic woman.  I can’t fathom that many surgeries and recoveries.  Not being alone and how long they would take.  

I do like the idea of a total body replacement to do it all at once.  They could leave in some little aches and pains cause older people are supposed to have those.  I’m not looking for miracles, just moving around without excruciating pain.  It’s a trap because you do less which makes it worse.  

Sounds like your in the insurance nightmare, Kay.  Are you trying to get surgery?

Karen, it sure sounds like your son needs an imaging test when he is in the worst pain.  It’s like insult to injury, but it might reveal something like Marty’s did.  I hope he finds some answer.  It’s the not knowing that adds to the frustration.

Marg, you’re the Energizer Bunny among us.  Don’t ever forget Karen’s advice if there are any more falls, wait for the cute waiter.  😎

• Like 3