Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If You're Going Through Hell

11 hours ago, Marg M said:

Honestly, I feel this same way.

Eeyore, my favorite Winnie the Poo character, always knows how to show feelings.  Glad you shared this little guy.  One Christmas my daughter gave me an Eeyore ornament for our Christmas Tree.  This year I didn't decorate so he has stayed packed away.  Hugs, Dee

• Like 1

Times have changed.  It comes automatically to me to hug someone.  We can't do that but each one of you have my frontal hug all the way around to the back.  All of you.  Please know that there are people that "know" you virtually and love you.  My son is afraid he will bring COVID to me and I miss his bear hugs.  I talk to him at least once a day.  Our motive now is to protect each other by not loving each other closely.  My son works some nights on COVID floors.  He had the COVID right after starting work at VA and then Kelli had it too.  Kelli kept lemonade in the refrigerator, got her shot, I believe of Celestone and slept it off, both of them.  I don't know, but I hope they now have what Trump calls "herd immunity" but one of our congressmen, newly voted in, 41 years old, in good health, two little children, a week before being sworn it, he passed away.  He was doing better, then a heart attack.  Please be careful.  I don't know about the shot.  You all take care of yourselves, we are all we have.  

hug.png

• Like 6

Yes, Marg I too so miss the hugs from my son and my grand kids.  Thank you for your big Virtual Hug.  I can only imagine your worries knowing your son works in a hospital and are thankful your two children survived the virus.  But, need to ask, what is the significance of Kelli having lemonade in her refrigerator ?  Vitamin C ?

I rarely get to see my grandson due to my son only has him 50% of the time.  This past weekend my son and grandson came over to work on emptying out Bob's workshop in preparation of me moving from my home I've lived in for the past 23+ years.  When my grandson stepped into my entryway I had to fight the temptation to grab and hug him like I used to do.  I think he was happy to see me, cause he was wearing his great big smile until his Dad had to remind him to put on his mask.  Times are so different.  I wasn't able to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with them so spent my time watching TV to keep my mind away from loneliness.  Take care and hugs back to you.  Dee 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, widow'15 said:

what is the significance of Kelli having lemonade in her refrigerator ?

Just know your supposed to be hydrated, do not sleep on your back.  I have not slept on my stomach probably since having Scott over 58 years ago..  Stay on your side if you cannot your stomach.  We got a listing of rules to follow, but you all probably don't care about seeing them.  Mainly stay hydrated, on your side, set your clock for every two hours, get up and move around (probably to prevent clots), Tylenol for fever and follow doc's directions.  It is not your mama's flu.  But, I'm sure my mom would have Vicks salve from my chin to my navel.  Also periodic doses of milk of magnesia.  Do you know she would give me that stuff in "broken doses" for upset stomach and for what it was made for.  My mama believed you visited the bathroom every day.  The day my colon burst she entered the hospital with broken shoulders.  It said to take vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc.  I don't take the Zinc, but it is probably in my Women's vitamins.  (All gummy vitamins).  

• Like 3

Hugs.  Who would have thought that they would be the thing we want most because we had them all the time.  I, too, Dee, have had to fight the urge.  We didn’t realize what physical beings we are.  I even used to hug my housekeeper.  Now we mask up.  So weird and sad.

Really out of commission today.  I think getting my hair trimmed Monday tweaked my back the worst ever.  Well, getting the wash.  I had put off a shower an extra day so did that and am now camped in my chair hoping this will calm down if I take it easier for a couple days.  I woke up once in a twisted position that I knew wasn’t good.  The plus is I have fresh linens on the bed.  Little pleasures even if being in it is tough.  I also didn’t have to wash my hair as the salon did twice and for a long time.  

Tomorrow being New Year’s Eve is at least not a huge trigger.  We’d often notice sometimes after midnight it happened if the neighborhood was rained out for firecrackers.  I’m hoping these storms will do the same this year.  I don’t want to watch Mel get all freaked out.  I hate the noise too.  What an old lady I’ve become.   Gone are the party days.  I had enough thrill trying to replace a calendar that was higher than I can reach easily.  Getting down a bowl for the chili I plan for dinner was fun (not) too.  When did my cabinets get so much higher?  

I hope whatever everyone’s plans or non plans pan out.  After this year, we deserve a quiet stressless coming of a new year.  

was watching the news about people in Florida waiting in lines for over 24 hours for vaccinations.  Can’t imagine that.  I’ll wait til they are scheduled here like covid tests.  I’m hoping the newer ones of one injection get the green light soon.  

• Like 4

Marty, that is exactly the thing that has been passed around FB.  And, I very seldom pass things around but I did this one.  It is, of course, best to listen to the doctor or practitioner.  But, honestly, sometimes with their overworked schedule, they forget to look at things, forget to tell you things.  You hope they do, but I have some friends who are so overworked if they can tell you their names they are doing good.  They do all advise you to wear that mask.  And, I'm sure I mentioned it, maybe more than once, some people do not believe the "hype" they prefer to call it.  I saw an old woman, probably older than me, well dressed, beauty shopped hair, no mask.  I tried counting them with no masks and could have counted the masked ones easier.  Even saw a "proud boys" tee shirted no mask.  One of our new republican politicians was due to take his (whatever they do to make them official) next week.  He was 41.  First time elected.  Two little kids.  Toddlers.  He was doing better but he had a heart attack at 41.  He was very active in maskless (I made a new word) gatherings.  I don't know if it would have helped him, but it could not have done him any worse.  My proudest Christmas presents were eight new double (able to breath and still stay covered) masks.  Billy's nephew (mine too) has it now.  He is a heavy smoker, drinker, very overweight, and was expected to get his shot soon, he is high risk.  Kelli and Scott slept and stayed hydrated, and walked inside the house, but were quarantined even from each other.  They had company downstairs.  Kelli is checked often and Scott every night.  Last series of enzymes kept Kelli with fever for nearly two weeks (not the COVID), she is clear of that, but they did see an increase in her platelets, so they will do it again and she will be down for two weeks again. 

We are in for some trouble, I think, and being inside the house may be the safest place.  Some of the advice is way out there, but I take the vitamin C and D, and get the Zinc in my Women's vitamins.  No problem, they are all gummies and I like gummies.  

Hopefully the doctor will give you directions, or his nurse, or aide, but most hopefully, none of us get COVID.  

• Like 5

I have had no Holidays plans in 6 years, except for one which I spent with a friend (we keep it as a fond memory of our mutual friendship, but I remember to fall asleep while crying).

I found a way through my brain to cancel them and feel nothing through the day. Seriously, I feel nothing about them. Total numbness. I have difficulties to write Holidays messages for friends who live far away. 

my therapist would suggest trauma. I suggest that the amount of cells which creates the emotion of pain are in use for something else.

If I think of my new life, it has a lot of pain avoidance and search for serenity behavior. 

• Like 5

My brother has severe Alzheimer’s.  He has been in a nursing home since early Sept.  his wife died last Jan.    no one has been allowed to see him. One daughter here and his other one in Fla. now he has COVID.  On oxygen, coughing, etc.  sleeping all the time.   Just got word that my 24 yr. old grandson tested positive.  He was here on Christmas to visit.  All wore masks.  Now .I am quarantined   Seems like there is no end in sight.    Gin

• Like 5

Thank you for the article, Marty, I've saved them, but hope not to need them!  Marg, I'm very surprised, here you can't go anywhere without your mask!  Not allowed in stores, banks, etc. w/o one.  Some don't even accept the shields people with breathing problems wear!  I see some wearing two masks, but they say not to do that.  

I'm sorry, Gin, to hear about your brother having COVID, also your grandson.  I pray you don't get it.  How much longer do you have to quarantine? 

• Like 3

Each night I stay up later and later.  I fret about that.  Brianna sleeps daytimes, I try to make it in bed before daylight.  I do not like doing this.  Where is daylight?  I am going to pick up my prescriptions, it is a nice drive to another Walmart.  I could have them put at my Walmart, but I drive the country way, no traffic, and enjoy my time.  

Some of the recommendations in the FB passed around suggestions cannot hurt.  I believe in plenty of fluids and sleeping on your side with as much exercise as you feel like doing.  And, I just mean walking from room to room.  They believe now that for chills you only wear light clothes.  I know they have their reasons, but if I have chills, I am going to be wrapped up for as much comfort as I can get.  I drink Ensure first thing in the morning, so I don't think the vitamins hurt (vitamin C in large doses is not good), I believe they are washed out in urine in about four hours.  They even told me to take vitamin C at the cancer hospital.  

Gin, sorry about the quarantine, but like Brianna tells me "what did you have planned anyhow?"  My daughter is bringing the bottled water to my nephew and his friend and leaving it at their door.  They seem okay, but the doctor did give them a Z-Pak and some other things.  Know that is for bacteria, but when your weak and sick, other creepy crawlers can attach themselves.  

Whatever, use common sense.  (I am not endowed with much).  And Kay, our numbers would not be so bad if the masks were mandated.  Some people think their right to do what they want to do is taken away.  They quote some article from the constitution.  Sometimes I get quotes from some of the old poets mixed up with Bible verses.  

Okay, I will admit it, I have read the constitution.  It did not sink in.  I cannot quote you any of it.  I hate poly-ticks.  

• Like 4

When my little Mammaw was slowly sinking into dementia, and she took her time.  We noticed she kept repeating herself.  Mama's was something much worse.  I, thinking I knew, thought dementia was the main word for Alzheimer's.  When I first started working with the terminology, it was always dementia.  Somewhere along the line, it became Alzheimer's and still we had dementia too.  I saw Mammaw's, she would repeat something she just said 2-3 times.  Her two grown daughters would remind her of it.  She was such an Angel, I hated to see her "confused."  She would not argue, just sit down in a sort of "confusion" manner, would not say anything else.  Mama went into full fledge "mean."  Mammaw always knew us but Mama quit knowing us, so we lost her 2-3 years before she really left.  Mammaw had a stroke at about 95, and it really affected her, but she still knew me.  

I go back and read some things I wrote, and I repeat myself often.  I can still concentrate on reading, but I see the repetition.  As much as I write, I have to repeat myself.  

It is now 12:01 a.m., 2021.  I wish you something akin to happiness, all of you.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, scba said:

my therapist would suggest trauma. I suggest that the amount of cells which creates the emotion of pain are in use for something else.

I so agree with you, Ana.  I could hardly write anyone either.  I felt I would be lying being cheerful.  Just strung a few chosen words together in hopes it was enough to let people know I was thinking of them.  

I think we do suffer trauma.  A trauma most don’t understand, as we know. We experience pain in so many ways now.  It’s being on alert all the time.  That takes a toll day after day.  Grief has been compared to PTSD and I believe that from my own experience.  

• Like 4