Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If You're Going Through Hell

Kelli fell and messed up her knee bad.  She has Factor VIII which is von Willebrand's and now I think they also call it hemophilia.  It looks very bad, a big bruised knot on it too.  I know she could get seen at our town's ER immediately.  The best I have ever encountered.  I messaged my son to keep a watch on her tonight.  I do know that mother's stop worrying only after they, themselves, have "gone on."  Do you notice I try many synonyms to  keep from saying dead or die.  I dreaded hearing those words I had typed thousands of time when they put Billy under "palliative care."  

• Like 2

So sorry, Marg. Not good timing at all with the move and everything! Of course, there's no "good time" to be injured. Since she's a nurse, I'm sure she knows how to care for it, but hope she goes to ER anyway. Let us know....

• Like 2

George works for two doctors and said the laws have changed more recently and they have restrictions on prescribing pain meds, they can't give you a Rx "in case you might need it" you have to BE in severe pain first and then go in person to the doctor to get it!  So I owe an apology to the doctor for every bad thing I thought about her, EXCEPT she should have prepared me and did not include any info on taking Tylenol/Ibuprofen or icing/elevating extremities esp. since the feet are very different from arms/back, etc.

I don't know how they let your son pick up your meds, Karen, she specifically told me I'd have to come in, in person. myself.  At any rate I have no one to do this for me regardless.  Another reason I think there should be an exception for "in case of..."  JMO

Marg, sorry Kelli has knee problems now, I do too and it's the pits living with, ever since my fall in 2017.

• Like 2

Marg:  So sorry to read Kelli fell.  She sounds like she is having more than her share of a bad time with the moving problems and now her knee injury.    I agree, we never stop worrying about our kids.   Dee

• Like 2

Kay, I haven’t had an experience where I went home after like you did in years.  I’m not doubting George either.  I just can’t imagine my dentist, for example, sending me home after an extraction without something for pain because it would definitely hurt later.  

I used to pick up Steve’s pain meds til hospice started supplying them on weekly visits.  Think I took the paper RX's in myself too.   We can thank abusers for making it more complicated and painful for those that need these medications.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marg M said:

Do you notice I try many synonyms to  keep from saying dead or die. 

I do the same thing often.  I only use the cold words above when someone who hasn’t experienced this thinks they do and 'advise' me.  Many words take on a new meaning when we lost them.  Even love.

• Like 2

So stupid, it's pathetic. Obviously you won't BE in pain until the surgery anesthetic wears off completely. What happened to taking the pain meds to stay ahead of the pain? Has nothing to do with the war against drug abuse. Simply another way for the government to exert control. I thought this was the land of freedom. Wrong!

Don't get me started. I'll shut up now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/3/2021 at 1:17 PM, MartyT said:

I agree with Karen, Kay. Thanks to government guidelines, (not rules, but guidelines, mind you) pain medication is rarely prescribed following too many surgeries these days. They just send you home with a pamphlet about "alternative methods of pain control". None of those methods is sufficient enough for post-surgical pain ~ at least not for most normal human beings like us. I urge you to get in touch with your surgeon or your PCP and demand a prescription that will provide you with adequate pain relief following your foot surgery. Be a squeaky wheel ~ or an absolute pest if necessary. I just don't think many of these doctors have ever, ever experienced real post-surgical PAIN.

Also apply an ice pack to your foot at least 3 times a day for as long as you have pain, swelling, and inflammation. For the first 72 hours, ice for 10 minutes, once an hour. (I did that for my hand surgeries and it helped a lot.) ❤️

I'm sorry for my ignorance about what it means. What are the alternative methods of pain control?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KarenK said:

Simply another way for the government to exert control. I thought this was the land of freedom. Wrong!

I am just as angry, Karen. The most effective is to get ahead of the pain.  It’s been proven people use less that way.  This control resulting in so many restrictions has hurt more than helped so many scenarios I’ve either been in or seen.  

Kay, I still say your doctor was negligent.  You should have had back up.  If you didn’t need any, simply don’t take them.  A couple of days of pain meds does not an addict make.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scba said:

What are the alternative methods of pain control?

"Alternative therapy encompasses a variety of disciplines, including acupuncture, guided imagery, chiropractic treatment, yoga, hypnosis, biofeedback, aromatherapy, relaxation, herbal remedies, massage and many others.

"In the past decade, strong evidence has been gathered for the benefits of mind-body therapies, acupuncture, and some nutritional supplements for treating pain. Other alternative therapies such as massage, chiropractic therapies, therapeutic touch, certain herbal therapies, and dietary approaches have the potential to alleviate pain in some cases. 

"Mind-body therapies are treatments that are meant to help the mind’s ability to affect the functions and symptoms of the body. Mind-body therapies use various approaches, including relaxation techniques, meditation, guided imagery, biofeedback, and hypnosis. Relaxation techniques can help alleviate discomfort related to chronic pain."

[Source: Pain Management: Alternative Therapy]

Unfortunately these methods just don't always work for everyone ~ and different people have different levels of tolerance for pain. 

This is an example of the pamphlet I was given following my most recent surgery: Information on Nonopioid Alternatives for the Treatment of Pain.  Needless to say, none of it worked for me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MartyT said:

Alternative therapy encompasses a variety of disciplines, including acupuncture, guided imagery, chiropractic treatment, yoga, hypnosis, biofeedback, aromatherapy, relaxation, herbal remedies, massage and many others.

Trust me, when I was in the worst pain of my life (trying to go to sleep but couldn't), trust me, no one was here to do acupuncture and there's no way I could focus on guided imagery!  Maybe that'd work for some things, but not for this!  I normally have a high tolerance for pain, but this was through the roof!

• Like 5

I’m in that position now.  All those techniques are a ‘your mileage may vary' thing.  I know they work for many, but I’ve never mastered being able to calm my mind.  I guess I give up too easy to how my brain fights it.  Steve used to meditate, but when he got into severe pain, he couldn’t.  Surgical pain is one you can’t tune out no matter what.  Maybe a Buddha master, but I’m not close to that!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MartyT said:

"Mind-body therapies are treatments that are meant to help the mind’s ability to affect the functions and symptoms of the body. Mind-body therapies use various approaches, including relaxation techniques, meditation, guided imagery, biofeedback, and hypnosis. Relaxation techniques can help alleviate discomfort related to chronic pain."

The real kicker is this: insurance, 9 times out of 10, will deem these as "experimental" or "non-covered service" and will deny you any coverage.  I have always paid out of pocket for acupuncture, or anything else viewed as "alternative." 

I keep saying my "health insurance" is junk insurance.  It's insurance for the sake of having insurance. 

America's only real health insurance model: "don't get sick."

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I’m in that position now.  All those techniques are a ‘your mileage may vary' thing.  I know they work for many, but I’ve never mastered being able to calm my mind.  I guess I give up too easy to how my brain fights it.  Steve used to meditate, but when he got into severe pain, he couldn’t.  Surgical pain is one you can’t tune out no matter what.  Maybe a Buddha master, but I’m not close to that!

I hear you, Gwen!

And Kieron, I couldn't agree more...I'd love to go to a holistic doctor but insurance never covers that, the medical field wants us sick and on pills, how else can they make money off of us!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kayc said:

I hear you, Gwen!

And Kieron, I couldn't agree more...I'd love to go to a holistic doctor but insurance never covers that, the medical field wants us sick and on pills, how else can they make money off of us!

Totally agree with you both. Western medicine is mostly based on pills. I'm not implying that they don't work nor that they shouldn't be prescribed. Thats not my point. An aspect to consider is that whatever "alternative" may complement a "traditional" medical treatment is treated as something the patient should afford by themselves. Therefore, only Gwyneth Paltrow rich followers can benefit from  massages. Because of that, health and alternative medicine are business. 

"Don't get sick", here.

My two cents. 

• Like 3

That’s the problem I’ve watched evolve.  Medical care turning into more a business than the healing, caring profession it was.  I used to be grateful for my old doctor as he was given adequate time to address my needs.  Now I’m assigned X amount of time with the new one and if I’m not done, too bad.  He has to move on.  I imagine some docs are just as frustrated.  They got into this to help people.  Having to cut off patients would make me feel horrible.  Especially if you can see they still need you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, scba said:

Therefore, only Gwyneth Paltrow rich followers can benefit from  massages. Because of that, health and alternative medicine are business. 

This is a classic situation.  I believe it's being called "gentrification" nowadays, and the Paltrow types always find the true and the authentic, and then manage to cheapen it and exploit it for the almighty dollar.  Just ask any Native or Indigenous person; they can tell you stories.

• Like 4

Yesterday morning, following my sister's attack and horrible treatment of me, my BP was 198/87.  I decided I needed to let go, I can't keep doing this, let her caregiver or the state take over, she won't let me help her anyway.  

This morning my BP was 113/69.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, scba said:

"Don't get sick", here.

My two cents. 

Yep.  I dread the hoops I have to go through to see the doctor, I'll have to again when I get my stitches out.  They ask a million questions, take weight, BP, oxygen level, blah blah blah just to get stitches out!  It makes me want to take out my own.  I'll go in, but I don't want to.  I consider medical a "necessary evil."  :(  They've taught me that much.

• Like 2

My friend and supervisor's family had all passed away.  She and her sister had been so close for so long and her sister's life gave into schizophrenia they could not control.  My friend had to turn her over to the state as a guardian.  Her sister, after awhile had breast cancer.  She would not let them treat it.  She had some sanity left.  Sometimes you have to let go of something you cannot change, and it hurts like hell.  I found out after Billy left that I could not handle everything, but damn if I didn't try.  I have learned to let go, but it was a devil of a teacher.  

• Like 5

I'm working on that, Marg.  She attacked me again last night.  I've blocked her number, my BP can't take this, my heart is shattered.  9/23 is the one year anv. of when Bert died, I wanted to take her out to lunch, I don't know if she'll let me.  I have lost my sister.

• Like 3

I’m sorry your sister has become lost to you.  I know it has taken a huge toll on you and your body keeps telling you each time you interact.  You still want to take her out for lunch despite how it might affect you?  I’m certainly not in any position to throw out advice.  I’m just worried that you might experience more pain and physical reaction.  I have a sister, but we’ve been estranged over 40 years.  So I can’t know the intricacies of a lifelong relationship like that.  I’m just concerned about you.  

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

You still want to take her out for lunch despite how it might affect you?

My heart goes out to grievers and the one year anv. of their death is really hard, no one else is likely to remember...

On a good note my BP was 127/70 this morning!  I hate dementia and what it does, it rates in there with cancer as far as I'm concerned, but dementia is very hard on the caregiver...having been caregiver for my sweet MIL for three years when she was bedridden with it, it was very painful to watch her suffer to death, dementia has US suffering, more so than them it seems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kayc said:

My heart goes out to grievers

For some reason, something has happened to my heart/mind, and I do not answer anything anymore.  I don't feel responsible enough to help anyone.  I want to help myself, but for some reason, I seem to have lost my way for that too.  Cannot explain.  

• Like 3