Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Dreaming last night that this has all been a cruel joke

JCHP.  I never dream of Al and do not know why.  He was sick for most of the 16 years we were together.  He was my best friend and was so glad I could be there for him.  I would have continued, if given the chance.  Right after he died, I tore the meniscus in my knee and then developed severe anemia.  I was so glad this happened AFTER he died.  I don't know how much help I would have been to him.  I sure would have tried.  I sure would love to feel him hug me again, but I do not know how I would respond to waking up and having him gone.

Gin

• Upvote 1

I tore my meniscus in my knee also a few years ago, they're very slow healing.  I didn't have surgery, it took over a year to heal.  I am still careful how I get in/out of the car, etc.

What are they doing for the anemia?  B-12 shots will take care of it, you can ask your doctor about it if you haven't already.  I had a sister that lost a lot of blood during a surgery and got severe anemia, almost died.  When I mentioned the B-12 shots to her, she asked her doctor about it and he said, "Oh yeah, I wonder why I didn't think of that."  He administered them to her and she got better quickly after that.  The only reason I knew is I used to work for a doctor and some people need them on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

Kay,

he took a special blood test and said my iron was very low.  Now on iron.  Feeling a little better, but not right.  I will ask him about the B12 shots next week,. He gave them to Al a couple of times.

Gin

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KATPILOT said:

It's rough when that happens Laura. I go through that every month or two but for me it passes on it's own. I hope that happens for you soon.  Sounds like there was a time when you were dead to the world to sleep through that stuff!

That is totally true-and when my sleep is disrupted, it is invariably something internal and not something outside of myself. I lost my job in 2009, and it was similar-I had trouble going to sleep, I would have nightmares all night long that I had lost my job, and would wake up terrified to realize it was true. Looking back on it, it seems rather insignificant, because my dad actually carried me financially through it - like he said he would. He told me over and over, "I am not going to let the floor drop out from under you". But now he's gone, and there is no one to help me if I ever get into trouble again...I feel like a little lizard on the sidewalk with broken legs...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gin said:

JCHP.  I never dream of Al and do not know why.  He was sick for most of the 16 years we were together.  He was my best friend and was so glad I could be there for him.  I would have continued, if given the chance.  Right after he died, I tore the meniscus in my knee and then developed severe anemia.  I was so glad this happened AFTER he died.  I don't know how much help I would have been to him.  I sure would have tried.  I sure would love to feel him hug me again, but I do not know how I would respond to waking up and having him gone.

Gin

This dream was pleasant in comparison to the other dreams I have had since Jack passed away. I have had total nightmares where I relive the day he died. From him collapsing in our home to me trying to do chest compressions and the ambulance taking forever. From the horrific scene as I stood at the foot of the ER bed as they worked tirelessly on him for 45 mins without being able to get his heart going again. Me pleading on my knees with them to continue working on him to no avail. Then laying on him crying my eyes out after he had passed for hours. Waking up from that was much worse. It was reliving a very realistic trauma. I have had that nightmare a few times. It is awful. Feeling him hold me in his big arms was a dream come true. Sad when I awoke to realize it was all a dream. I realized that in my dream towards the end too. But I stayed asleep in his arms trying to rationalize with him about what I witnessed the day he died. I miss him so very much! He was my everything and my best friend. He knew exactly what buttons to push to make me laugh, cry, or jump for joy. He truly was my other half. It was a wonderful gift to feel him holding me and comforting me again! 

• Upvote 3

I'm so glad you experienced those warm feelings with Jack in your dream JHCP, however brief. 

I have had one or two dreams where Crystal was still alive and it had all been a big mistake. It felt so real and so bewilderingly happy. Then that feeling when you wake up...

• Upvote 1