Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Cancer is the Devil

Jeffrey S

Hello, my name is Jeff and I have a 10 year old Chihuahua who has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. She is on chemo and the prognosis is not good. She's my little baby girl and I can't stop the daily ocean of tears. So innocent and sweet. She's my life and soon won't be with me. I am lost and confused as to what will happen after she is gone. Please, if there is anyone who can help me overcome this heart breaking nightmare, please let me know. Thanks,Jeff

Hi Jeff. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet little dog, but glad that you have found us here.

I think all you can really do is enjoy all the time you have left with her and take it one step at a time. I'm glad you found our forum here - we are all stumbling along in our grief and supporting each other as we do so. Every loss is unique and not comparable to any other. No one can tell you what to do - nor should they try - but we can listen and share our experiences with you. Probably the best thing to do with what you see here or anywhere is to embrace what touches or helps you and disregard anything that doesn't feel right to you.

Grief is a hellish path and unfortunately the depth of your love correlates to the depth of your grief after the loss. A lot of people minimize the loss of a pet or may try to say it should be less than for a person. I think it's best to disregard all that as much as you can. People grieve differently and for each person their grief is what it is. My dad died in January and I have been devastated by his loss, but my sisters weren't all that upset about it. But they had seen very little of him towards the end of his life and I took care him for his last ten years of his coping with Parkinson's disease.

The other thing is to remember to take good care of yourself. Get enough rest, try to eat a reasonable diet, and all that. Be careful as you walk, drive, and do anything that could result in an injury. And keep coming back here. We care about you.

Laura

Jeffrey,

I am sorry, I know what it is to love a dog as your true companion and have to lose them, it's very hard, they are our family and never is there any truer than them! Just take a day at a time, remember to breathe, and like Laura said, enjoy each day you have with her.  I wish we could have them longer...my own dog is nearly nine and that is his age expectancy (he's huge, they age faster) and it terrifies me, I can't imagine life without him.
It does help to express yourself and you're with a group of people here that understand and have been there.  I've lost my husband, parents, and so many more, but I can assure you that even though it doesn't feel like it, you will get through this.  Just be there for your little dog as long as you have her and love her...I firmly believe that we will be with them again, and that is the hope that keeps me going.