Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Family Day

STARKISS

Hi All,

I find it hard to celebrate certain and feel very alone during them...Such days as Thanksgiving, family day and certain other days.. I guess it is because even though I had siblings once they left the house they did not celebrate with my parents as much... Once my parents died I had no one to celebrate with me so I think of these days as just like other days of the week... I think once you lose your family ties it is hard to deal with special days too. I feel like an orphan but I do have siblings but they do not care for me like my parents did so I guess part of me died with my parents... Shelley

I hear you Shelley, because it's just my Mom & me now, sometimes I don't feel like we're a family, it's just us two. Yes I have extended family but it's not the same. I think what is hard too is when you always celebrated those times with your parents those times were a big deal to you and to your parents. Because your family were not necessarily always an integral part of them when they moved out, I think it does make you feel like people don't care as much.

That is one of the biggest things I struggle with, nobody cares for me like my Dad did. We just cannot fill that void that's missing. I have my birthday coming up and friends are starting to ask what I'm doing (I ALWAYS had a night out) but I always went a night for dinner too with my parents. Now I just want it over with, I don't want to do dinner because I still cannot deliberately put myself in a situation or place where my Dad always was with us. It just doesn't feel like the special time it used to be.

anyways, ((hugs)), yep I too feel and KNOW a part of me did leave with my Dad, no doubt about it,

Niamh

Hi Niamh, Thanks you always cheer me up even a little bit... My sister who I live with took the family on a cruise and they left today for warmer weather... I just do not think I will take the time and think about it other than treating it like any other day... Shelley

aw thanks Shelley, that's a nice thing to hear. That is tough with your sister gone off on a family cruise, if that works for you you're so right Shelley, maybe watch a good movie or something with some nice munchies (candy wink.gif ) and just be kind to yourself

xo

Dear Shelley,

I understand and resonate with how you are feeling. It is hard to be alone and feeling like an orphan. I offer you a ((((HUG)))) Shelley. I hope you are feeling better now? As when we don't feel well it is doubly not fun to be alone at all. Hope it helps to know you have your GH family at least. Marathon movie day...popcorn perhaps. I am such an odd duck, as I don't put butter or margarine on my popcorn, I put cinamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves, and no salt. I call it "popcorn for a diabetic"...:)

Thinking of you Shelley.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann