Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Unresolved Grief

Guest LYC

My grandfather died back in 1998. Well today, I at work, I was having difficulty concentrating. I also suffer from major depression, so I took a moment to go to the nami (national alliance for the mentally ill) website. I read a post about how sometimes people with my symptoms can get "stuck in their head" and what sometimes works is journaling.

I grabbed a piece of paper and began to write. I wrote down, "I can't concentrate, I feel awful, my grandfather's b-day...." I kind of shocked myself. I didn't even realize that I new when my grandfather's birthday was, much less that it was eating me up inside about it.

I called my mother, and told her I had a strange question. I asked her when grandpa's birthday was, and she said, March 19. It is March 16. I have no idea how I was aware of this after this long a time of his passing, and it suprised me because as I have said, I did not even know when his birthday was.

I really miss him. I thought maybe if I posted I would feel better and be able to concentrate on my work again.

Thanks.

My grandmother died when i was 7 years old, and to this day I look to her for comfort, advice...or just to say...hey Dallas won the football game. She was an awesome woman, and we made a lot of good memories together. Writing does help, I'm learning that tool myself actually. Keep up the good work, and hang in there!!