Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Horrible Loss!

teejay

on friday the 8th of sept.06. my families world was thrown into a tailspin. our beloved dog blacky was stuck by a a neighbor not paying attention driving in our culdesac. yes i know that some will admonish me for not having him on a leash all of the time, but our street is a dead end and few people drive on the street and if they do they go slow watching for children and pets that usually play. we like to walk my son to school through the woods that has no traffic. somehow blacky darted out in front of my so called friend and was severely injured. i picked his motionless body out of the road and rushed him to the nearest vet. unfortunately it was too late. we had this baby for 13 years, he had came to us when we lived in another state and became a part of our family. his previous owners did not care for him and were very apathetic when i tried to give him back to them. so we decided that he would be our baby!! we have lived on this quite street on the back side of the school for 6 years and no ones animals have ever been hurt. i constantly watch out for everyones children and animals, but unfortunately my so called friend did not show the same concern. now my 13 year old son is devastated. blacky was his one and only brother and they were inseperable. i feel so much grief for blacky's loss, but what really hurts is seeing my son hurting so bad and not being able to take it away like any loving daddy would do!! please pray for my family and especially my son. he is in the early stages of grief. and while i have experienced loss of a pet before this is his first terrrible experience with it. i am truly dying inside. what else can i do??? most people tend to trivialize a pets death and that makes me angry at them and the whole insesitive world we live in!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for your loss; and especially for your son. But please know & tell your son that the bond of an animal will help carry him through life (it may not be life changing, but the human/pet relationship will help prepare him be a better person as opposed to not having a pet and not knowing that love) -hope this helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teejay,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved dog, I know that it was very unexpected. Your son and your other family members are feeling a great loss right now but remember that even though your beloved dog is gone he will remember how much you loved him and how much he loved you... Take care and I hope this helps a little bit... I will keep you and your family in my prayers, God bless you Shelley