Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A Family Friend

STARKISS

Hi All,

I just want to write about an old family friend who was my mom's best friend until the day she died... I have received three emails from this lady and she still wants me to keep her updated about how the family is from time to time.. I think my mom was a very lucky lady to have such a nice person to be friends with... I think this lady is also lucky to have my mom as a special friend... They knew each other since they were both young girls... I hope that this helps someone who knows their lost loves friends to stay connected in some way it is very helpful this these rough times.. She has told me about my mom, Things I did not know from her childhood so it is special to have her as a friend of mine as well Take care Shelley

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Just to let you know the friend I was talking about died two weeks ago... I was unable to go to the funeral because it was out in Vancouver and I just could not leave the children with anyone... I prayed for her family and that she is now with her old friend and husband... My mom and her are probably talking right now about family still here... Take care Shelley

Shelley,

So sorry to hear about your moms friend passing, but as you said, they are probably talking and happy to be together again. I keep in touch with a couple of my moms longtime friends and it's really nice. I know them so well they are like aunts to me. We have to remember that other people are grieving for our loved ones too, so you're right...it's important to keep in touch with them.

Hugs,

Shell

• 3 weeks later...

Shelley,

This is off the topic, but I particularly wanted to tell you that I went to the doctor the other day, got blood taken and had a shot. The first time in a looooong time without my mom with me. I knew, you of all people, would appreciate what I felt. I remember you talking about the same thing and that you took a picture of your mom with you. I now wear a ring of my moms and I looked at it a lot at the doctors office! But, I made it through without making a fool of myself or anything, so guess I've grown up a little (at 54!). And I think you've done the same thing.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi Shell,

You are right I did take a picture of my mom and I still do take a picture of her when I am faced with something that I am scared of... I too think I have grown up a little (42)... Take care Shelley