Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Not Coping Well!

bll4kll

It's been a little over 3 weeks now since I lost my baby Chyna. I am still not coping. My little girl is gone. It hurts so much. She was a little over 9 yrs old. I will try to describe what happened without breaking down again. Chyna is a chihuahua, and we also have 2 other larger mix breed dogs. They all got along and ate with each other and slept most of the time in my bed together. Patches had pups 2 weeks prior to this. On this particular night I was sitting on my bed and Chyna got down to get a bite of food with Patches. Well Patches just turned so quick and nipped at Chyna. Chyna just dropped over on her back and I thought that Patches had just scared her. But turns out Patches turned so quick with her mouth open that her 2 longer teeth went into her head and killed her almost instantly. Chyna never cried or wimpered. But all the blood that was expelled through her mouth and nose is a site I can never forget. Sorry, I'm crying again. I just held her and rocked her for 3 hrs. Even though she was gone I would not give her up. My husband finally talked me into giving her to him and she was creamated and brought back home the next day. I still feel that this is my fault. If i had fed Patches in where her puppies were I would still have my girl. I hope she forgives me because I cannot forgive myself. I just want her back. I am so sorry! Chyna, Mommy and Daddy love you and miss you so much. I have a huge hole in my heart. I just want to be with her. Chynas' Mommy

post-5477-1197616421_thumb.jpg

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. Chyna's picture is so cute - she looks like Darby, a dog I had a long time ago.

Please don't blame Chyna's death on yourself. Your heartbreaking description of what happened sounds like it was a freak accident. Patches was reacting instinctively to protect her pups, but she was trying to scare her off, not hurt her. There's no way you could have foreseen the outcome.

I lost my precious cocker, Jackie, a year ago. She died in her sleep. But three years earlier, she almost choked to death because of an overgrown palate. I'll never forget driving to the emergency clinic with her on the floor gasping and me shaking, terrified that she'd die on the way there.

Don't let the way Chyna died define your memories of her. It was horrible, but you have so many more, happier, incidents from her time with you to remember. As long as you have those memories, she'll always be with you.