Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Best Friend, My Mom. I Miss Her So.

I lost my Mom just after midnight, Monday, September 6, 2004. I am 44 years old, and I feel like a motherless child. In fact, I am. My Mom (and my late father) were always there ready and willing to help me and my family at anytime. I lost my Dad on April 29th, 1999 @ 7:42 PM. It took me nearly three years to get over the loss of my Dad. He was strong, vibrant and really was the best father I ever could have had. Bone Cancer took him away from us. It was horrible and he suffered so much. I was with him (as well as my Mom, her sister, her brother in-law and my second oldest brother) at the TCU floor at the moment he passed away. I was so thankful that I helped him get through it all and helped him make it over the threshold.

My Mom lived over 5 years after my Dad's death. In that time, we became so close. I truly enjoyed every moment with her. She moved to a townhouse, less than 1 mile away from my home. My wife and I loved helping her with the groceries, the doctors, just everyday things became so special. My wife and her became the best of friends.

My Mom, like my Dad, was a smoker. And like my Dad, smoking was a major cause of her death. She was 75 years old. Had she not continued to smoke, she could have lived many more years. Her health deteriorated over the past 6 months, however, she did her best to conceal it. She always complained about "a bug that was going around". We kept on telling her "PLEASE, go to the doctor!". But she persisted and said that she felt better.

However, early August, she had problems with her breathing. She finally listened to me on August 12th when I said "Ma, it's time to go to the doctor". My wife immediately took her to her doctor, who in turn, sent her right to the hospital. At first, they were talking about lymphoma (very treatable). However, it was carcinoma. A mass was found in her chest. They tried radiation therapy. They thought maybe she could at least had a few months. Within 5 days, her condition worsened. The radiation had burned her windpipe (a risk due to the location of the cancer). Her appetite dwindled to nothing. She was ready to "go home" to Dad. My Dad, who's birthday was September 7th got the best birthday present anyone could ask for. I know now that my Mom and Dad are together once again in heaven.

We put her to rest yesterday, September 10th, 2004 right next to the man she loved for over 50 years. Her suffering is over. Sadly though, I feel so lost without both my Mom and Dad. My wife and I both feel the same "void" in our lives without my Mom. It really hurts. I'm so thankful that I had such loving and giving parents. I could have not asked for any better parents. I'm going to miss them, truly. I love you Ma and Dad.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I too lost my mother on September 6, 2004. She passed away surrounded by her loving family at 8:50 P.M. My mother was 71 years old. She started to get sick around Easter time. She was a Diabetic who adhered to a strict diet. Then, her sugar levels became uncontrolled and she was placed on Insulin. She became depressed. She refused to eat and drink. She became weak and was admitted to the hospital. She was diagnosed with Severe Depression. She developed other complications and finally had bilateral pneumonia. She continually told us that she wanted to die. She also told us that she did not want to be kept alive by artificial means. She and my father were married for 50 years on August 28th of this year. She leaves behind seven children (4 girls, 3 boys) and 13 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. I still can't believe that my mom has gone. It hurts to write this note. She was the gentlest woman alive and never would hurt a soul! I miss her terribly! She was buried on September 9th. My family and I mourn her loss!