Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Mom's Passing

Sandy B

My mom died on Sept 16 in my home . We buried her on Sept 24 in Buffalo , N.Y. where my brother lives . My dad had died in 07 & was cremated . His ashes were buried with her . So it was a final closing for me . I was blessed to have mom for a few extra months . Now I find it hard to put things back in " order " & to go through her things . I feel as though I'm violating her in some way .

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom. Don't be hard on yourself. Unless there is a pressing reason, you have time to get to a point that you are ready to go through your Mom's belongings. When my Mom passed away, my Dad seemed to really be a hurry to go through her things and divide them between my sisters and I. It was hard to take anything because for us, it was way to soon. I guess for him it was closure. If possible, I would suggest that you give yourself some time to process your loss and grieve. Here you will find many people who care and will listen.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement . I have been just doing small things in the room & when I feel like it . So far that seems to be working . I know I did the best I could for her but sometimes I feel I could have done more . Her birthday is tomorrow , she would have been 91 . That is a good age .

Hi Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. What a blessing she lived until 90. I agree with the others to not be hard on yourself or think you have to rush anything. I haven't touched anything of my Mom's yet and probably won't for a long time. Everyone has to go at their own speed I guess.

(((hugs)))