Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sick Of Being Sick

Oh to be well again, depression 3rd med I've been on Effexor makes me nausea and headache yuk o , only taken it 2 days do I continue or stop and deal with the depression minus meds as they all make me ill ! Anyone else have a suggestion or

similar experience, I've tried Wellbutrin, Lexapro and now Effexor really feeling like vomitting ..

thank you

Tracey, I can't advise you on which med to take. All I can tell you is that each person reacts differently to grief (and many react differently to meds! I, personally made the decision not to take them in the end as the ones I took gave me suicidal thoughts - which is rare - but enough to scare me into wanting to not take any others either!). In the end, I looked at it this way: the definition of depression is feeling sad without a reason, and felt that I certainly had reason to be sad, and should grieve rather than take pills. I was scared that they would mask the feelings, suppress them even, and could not face the risk of having to go backwards on this journey and do half of it all over again. Caveat: this is JUST my personal take and it relates to ME. Everyone is so different, everyone of us unique, our loss unique in itself, and our reactions again differ too, even if there are many similarities. Listen to your body, speak to your doctor, and one day at a time. I think you will intuitively know which med is right for you when you are going through this.

I think you are still early days ... one breath at a time, one step at a time. Learn to be patient with you. Learn to be kind to YOU.

I can tell you what has helped me: posting here, blogging, talking about my husband and how I feel, what I fear, what I think. Making plans, even tenuous ones ... which give me something to look forward to, e.g. a weekend with my sister.

Try to eat and sleep whenever you can. This is incredibly tiring - exhausting actually.

I am almost at the one year anniversary (in a week) and still find it hard to believe ... but I am coping better, even if the pain is still here - but the pain has changed, it is incorporated into me, and his love (and mine) are still here with me. The love is what gets you through. Right now it may feel as though you cannot see that, because you are in such darkness, but I promise you it is still there and one day you will feel it again.

Peace to you and strength, I really hope you get the meds resolved - it makes it even harder doesn't it? I mean, on a basic level, just to do anything when you are unwell and makes you feel even more alone. HUGS

Oh to be well again, depression 3rd med I've been on Effexor makes me nausea and headache yuk o , only taken it 2 days do I continue or stop and deal with the depression minus meds as they all make me ill ! Anyone else have a suggestion or

similar experience, I've tried Wellbutrin, Lexapro and now Effexor really feeling like vomitting ..

thank you

I've been on antidepressants since prozac came out in the 80s. I take effexor now and it's fine, BUT, let me warn you that getting off of it is nearly impossible. The withdrawl is awful and if you don't intend on using meds the rest of your life; I'd tough it out without them now. Easy for me to say, but believe me, I understand what you feel like and how you crave some relief. I fight everyday to not call my dr. and beg for something to numb me up a bit. Today is a better day, yesterday was a total meltdown. I guess this is how it's supposed to be,but man, it's exausting as hell.