Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Old House

Hi All, I went to both my therapists today and discovered that I am not over moving and leaving the old house... I was so emotional all day while discussing my parents house in Bowmanville... I just did not realize that I felt so very connected to it still, so connected that it took two therapy sessions and I do not think I am done yet... Shelley

hi Shelley,

at least you know now so you can work on it. I can't even imagine how hard that is to move from your childhood home when your parents are not here, of course you would be so emotional over it.

As I am an only child, there won't be any issues with my parents house,I think I will stay in this house always. Leaving it has always been something I've dreaded over the years actually but the day never came for me to move out. Now I just don't think I ever will.

hugs to you

niamh

Hi Niamh,

Thanks for all the kindness, I really thought that I was over the house but yesterday when I arrived at my art therapist's office she has me close my eyes and just take a deep breath and check into what my body is feeling and it is always a surprise what comes up because I just have my mind focused somewhere else until I do that... So yesterday the house come up after I did this and that is what we talked about... How I felt when the for sale sign went up and when the sold sign went up.. How I felt when alot of the furniture and my parents personal things were removed from the house.. How it felt when I had to leave for the final time, and we did have a final good bye party at Thanksgiving where all the family did attend and old stories were shared... She had me paint a picture of what I felt like at that party... I painted a picture of a big yellow sun which represented my parents looking down... I paint three red hearts, one for each brother, I painted a pink heart for my sister and I painted a lavender coloured heart for myself and I painted a little picture of a dog for Chelsea my dog... So I guess I was not over the house and my therapist thinks I should go back to Bowmanville and walk pass the house and just take time to realize that it is just a house and none of the memories are left inside... Shelley

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I am going back to my home town next Monday which is Easter Monday... I am going to my eye doctor and than my therapist wants me to walk past my old house just to see if I can do it... She wants me to say good bye and finally put house to rest so that I can live free in the house I am in right now... I will leave the old house in the past and move forward... Shelley

Hi Niamh, Thanks I am going to need people with me even in spirits, I need to do this just because I am so scared to I need to follow through and finally put the old house where it belongs in the past... I know that it is just a house and the memories are inside of me but I just need to finally say my good byes and get on with it... Shelley

Yep i hear you Shelley,while I still live in that home but we had to get rid of my Dads car and his car was a place I spent a lot of good times in,a lot of our real heart to heart chats and it was hard to sell it,it was scary but I havent forgotten those times,those chats,those spins,they can never be got rid of.....and it's only when I read your last post,reminding me of the car that I right now realise it was only a car because the importance of It is the memories that are still with me.

So thanks for that Shelley coz I feel like I understand it more now.

Xo

Hi Niamh, You are so welcome my friend, I am glad I actally helped someone... People around my house tell me I am so self centred and I am trying so hard not to be... SO Thank you for this message.. Shelley

Well Good bye 42 Third Street in Bowmanville, Ontario Canada... I will always remember the fun times I had while living there but I have to move on and so I say Good bye old friend I will miss you but I have my memories forever.. Shelley

Hi Niamh, You are right, it was so hard to walk by and I thought it was going to be easier after all it was 6 years since I saw the house I thought that it was long enough but I guess I was wrong... Now I just hope I can take the memories and move forward and start living again... Shelley