Grief Healing Discussion Groups

First Grief Support Group

Wow. It was so deep. I found that many people wait a long while before beginning support groups, I felt as though it might be too soon, but thought I'd try it. Death is just so tragic and hearing all the stories and how people have dealt with it short term as well as many years is comforting and informative. I have just begun a journey that will last a lifetime, but know that life does go on and I've got to learn how to live it. This particular group meets monthly and I can take my son, who also enjoyed it. There was sadness, but also some laughter between the tears. The lesson I learned tonight was not only did I love the man I lost, but I was loved by him as well. Sometimes we forget that we were loved, too. It seems that everyone has regrets and guilt, but we have to remember we did the best we could under extreme circumstances. I will have to really work on that one...I am a work in progress.

I'm still waiting to hear about a local support group starting up. If it doesn't, I'm prepared to travel to the next town to find one. I'm glad you found it helpful, and that you found some comfort as regards to the regrets and guilt. For me, that's the worst part. Going to regular appointments with a grief counselor has helped me so far. I've also learned what you learned - we did the best we could under extreme circumstances (we're only human), and that we were also loved. Not only that - but also that our lives together with our loved ones were far more than just those last few months or weeks or days. There were also healthy, happy times. And those were the most important.

Maybe you could share some of the good stuff that comes up from your support group - if you want to.

Melina

I joined a support group this past fall and have been to nine sessions so far. I was amazed to learn so much about things that I had no idea would affect me.

We begin with a short video on a topic and have discussions afterward. We have talked about learning to live with the grief,anger, guilt, hatred, God's presence, and coping with people who just don't understand.

It has been extremely helpful for me and I encourage everyone to at least try a couple sessions.Even if your loss has been years ..it is a learning experience.

Lainey

"but we have to remember we did the best we could under extreme circumstances"

I applaud you for finding the courage to go as I know it is not easy. I am very happy that it appears to have been a healing experience for you. How wonderful you can take your son with you. The gift you are giving your son, sharing your grief with him and him sharing with you. I am glad that some laughter happened for you.

What a wonderful lesson to learn; that you were loved too. In admist all of the pain, it is hard to remember that or even think of that. It is just so true WE all did do the best we could under extreme circumstances!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Courage and Blessings, Carol Ann

The start-up date for the bereavement group I've asked to join will be November 30th - only seven people in the group with me. Five women and two men. I suppose it's harder to recruit the men. I'm a little nervous, but looking forward to sharing my experiences in this type of setting. I just hope it's a good group.

Melina