Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Letting Go

March has arrived and in 10 days time it will be my first birthday without my mom as well as the day we will scatter her ashes. My mom was always adamant that her ashes should not be kept. She would tell me that she would haunt me if I kept them. I know that if I didn't ask for it as my birthday present, the ashes would never be scattered. I don't want to do it on my own, it has to be done by both my brother and I.

I can't stop crying every time I think of scattering the ashes and I can't stop thinking about it. I want to do what my mom wanted but this makes it feel so final. Now she will really be gone.

Hi Eren, I wanted to say I am sorry for your loss and next that i too have both my parents ashes still and have had them since they both died six years ago... At first I thought of it that way too but their ashes are just their old bodies and their soul has left them behind... I need to do something with my parents ashes and I have to fight with one sister and three brothers to do it with me.. I do not want to do it alone and so I am still waiting... My dad's ashes are no longer in my living space as he sexually abused me whild I was a kid and so the therapist did not want me to have them.. So I am hoping you find peace with doing something with the ashes as I hope someday I do too.. Just be kind with yourself and know that it is just their bodies and their soul is somewhere better... Shelley

Guest Nicholas

They may be just ashes, but to many people they are still of great significance; I talk to the casket, telling my son I love him, even though the ashes are in two caskets and one I will be taking to Thailand (his country of birth) in accordance with their traditions. I have no idea when I'll be ready - or even if - to part with the one remaining casket.

Nicholas

Eren, what a hard thing to do, scattering the ashes on your birthday. Maybe it will give you some closure. My mom's ashes are in an urn in my parents' living room. My dad and I have talked about getting some mausoleum space at some point, but I don't know if/when we'll be ready to do that. It does feel final, as you said.