Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A New Year Without My Mom

Guest Tonya Burden

Guest Tonya Burden

Well I am very thankful for your reply funnyface it made me feel like somone really wanted to listen and truely cares. I have been struggling today with the thought of entering the new year without my Mom. It really seems like I am leaving her behind. My oldest son and me were out and about today and he ask when the new year begins? I ask why and at first he didn't want to tell me but finally he said "Mom I don't want to start a new year without Nanna!" Life is hard without her I feel so empty inside .If there is hope where can I find it;If there is peace let me know; If there is happyness let me laugh. What can I do????? I feel so gloomy and I wish I could offer a word to encouragement, or maybe make someone smile but I feel so empty .Sorry maybe another day but I am very thankful I found this sight because I need a place to tell someone how I feel.Thanks

Guest julzzzz

Hi there,

I am also entering this New Year without my mom for the first time, she passed in November 2005. I had a terrible holiday both Christmas and New Year's and her birthday is on Dec. 26...double whammy. For New Year's Eve I stayed in because all I could do was cry. I couldn't grin and bear it and fake to have a good time. I am wondering whether this will be a year for me to keep her alive in all the actions I do; or I question how the heck I'm going to get through this. I am a firm believer that things will get better from here on in but I haven't felt it ease this loss. What do we do? How do we get the energy to keep our mothers here with us in the New Year?

Hi there,

I am also entering this New Year without my mom for the first time, she passed in November 2005. I had a terrible holiday both Christmas and New Year's and her birthday is on Dec. 26...double whammy. For New Year's Eve I stayed in because all I could do was cry. I couldn't grin and bear it and fake to have a good time. I am wondering whether this will be a year for me to keep her alive in all the actions I do; or I question how the heck I'm going to get through this. I am a firm believer that things will get better from here on in but I haven't felt it ease this loss. What do we do? How do we get the energy to keep our mothers here with us in the New Year?

Well....we have reached one hurdle.....we have made it through the holidays.....and we should be proud. I had a in your face experience over the holiday....I went out to the cemetary to put a wreath on my Father+Mother's grave and the head stone was all ready there. Boy....it really hits you right between the eyes when you see that for the first time......their names actually on a tombstone. .......I have no doubt that we will all make it through this next year......like my son said.....everyone has to go through this .....that is the way life is......I miss my Mother so bad it hurts sometimes...and I don't feel her around me and that bothers me too......a counselor told me that sometimes you don't feel their presence until they feel you are ready....I know that my Father died in March and I had a dream of him for the first time the other night......his birthday is tomorrow.....I miss him so much too but lost him years ago to Alzheimers.....I know in my heart that I have to get myself together and get going with my life and I try but then all of a sudden this horrible sadness comes over me again......we all sound like we are in the same boat.....it really helps to be able to write down how you feel and know that there are others that you can communicate with that are going through the same things.....even if we don't have any answers for one another at least we know that we are not alone......Tomorrow will be better.....

Funnyface

Guest Guest_avsqr_dancer_*

Well....we have reached one hurdle.....we have made it through the holidays.....and we should be proud. I had a in your face experience over the holiday....I went out to the cemetary to put a wreath on my Father+Mother's grave and the head stone was all ready there. Boy....it really hits you right between the eyes when you see that for the first time......their names actually on a tombstone. .......I have no doubt that we will all make it through this next year......like my son said.....everyone has to go through this .....that is the way life is......I miss my Mother so bad it hurts sometimes...and I don't feel her around me and that bothers me too......a counselor told me that sometimes you don't feel their presence until they feel you are ready....I know that my Father died in March and I had a dream of him for the first time the other night......his birthday is tomorrow.....I miss him so much too but lost him years ago to Alzheimers.....I know in my heart that I have to get myself together and get going with my life and I try but then all of a sudden this horrible sadness comes over me again......we all sound like we are in the same boat.....it really helps to be able to write down how you feel and know that there are others that you can communicate with that are going through the same things.....even if we don't have any answers for one another at least we know that we are not alone......Tomorrow will be better.....

Funnyface

Guest Guest_avsqr_dancer_*

I have not been on this message board in several months, but New Year's Eve and day hit me hard. Both of my parents died in the summer of 2005-just 7 weeks apart. It is really tough entering this year knowing that both of my parents are gone. My father had dementia, so I also felt like I lost a part of him a long time ago. But he was still with us physically and that was some comfort to me. My mom died first-suddenly-and my father went down hill so rapidly both physically and mentally that it was a horrible 2 months, trying to grieve the death of my mom while also worrying about my father. I have actually done pretty well most of the time, esp considering everything, but these past few days have been so difficult. That is why I decided to check back on this board. My heart goes out to all of you who have also suffered losses in this last year.

avsqr_dancer