Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Keep The Door Open

Keep the door open.

Martha Hickman's great little book Healing After Loss continues to be an inspiration to me to honour my late wife by keeping her memory alive.

Today’s reading starts with a quote from Edith Hickman – “Keep the door to her life open”

The reader is reminded that although our spouse has physically died, the sense of that one’s presence has not!

Martha writes that “the possibility, after a while, of taking continuing joy not only in the reminiscences from the past, but in the extension of the person’s spirit into our ongoing lives.”

She concludes with the wonderful thought –

“Into the nebulous, ongoing mystery of life I welcome, as if through an open door, the continuing spirit of the one I have loved”

To that I would just add – “and will continue to love forever!

I have found that this book is best used as it was intended – to read one page a day. This has helped me survive the past nine months and actually look forward to tomorrow – living one day at a time.

"Martha writes that “the possibility, after a while, of taking continuing joy not only in the reminiscences from the past, but in the extension of the person’s spirit into our ongoing lives.”

She concludes with the wonderful thought –

“Into the nebulous, ongoing mystery of life I welcome, as if through an open door, the continuing spirit of the one I have loved”

To that I would just add – “and will continue to love forever! "

Thank you Walt for sharing. That is beautiful. I may have to check out that book for myself. I really enjoy reading your posts.

I seem to have hit a slump lately. It's been eight months since Tom died. I can't seem to get motivated to do anything that is not absolutely necessary. The memories are deafening! The worst is dinner time. That was our one priority, dinner together. Now I just avoid dinner. Just a little snack, and something to keep me busy at that time.

One day at a time..........

Tom...Love ya babe,

K