Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Drug Addiction

Why is it that no one wants to speak about drug overdoses? I lost my only son in January 2006 to a drug overdose.No I'm not proud of that fact,but neither am I ashamed of my son.Unless you have gone through any stages of addiction you really have no idea what it's like..My son was not a street junkie.He was a 26 y/o single father who had recently gotten his life together.He struggled for many years w/a heroin addiction.Started w/Oxycotin.Pills which are given to cancer patients.It is so prevelant here in my city,that it's not unusual to hear on a daily basis of someone overdosing.It only took 1 night w/friends to pull him back in.It's a constant struggle.It takes all kind of strength.Personally I cannot understand someone wanting to do any harm to their own body or cause that kind of pain for their families,but it has been explained to me in the past few months that addiction is a disease.A disease that no one wants to speak about.A disease that is overtaking our children.Children from every walk of life,every race,color & creed.When will it stop? What can be done? Thank you for letting me vent..I will never find the answers I need but I hope that my son is finally @ peace..

Hello Nona,

I am truly sorry for your loss. As a recovered alcoholic, I understand the "addiction is a disease" concept. It doesn't take away the pain all that much, but maybe it is a road to an understanding.

People do talk about what took their loved ones away from them, as it's relevant to why people are here. Since this place is a board to discuss grieving and bereavement and how to cope with a loved ones's death, you may not get specific answers about addiction here. But you will get lots of help in dealing with your son's death. I am sure that there are others here who can identify with what you are going through and can offer helpful advice.

You may want to try http://www.recoverytimes.com. There are discussion forums there under the "Crossroads" link, where families of alcoholics and addicts can post their stories. Although your son is gone, there are lots of kind and understanding people who will gladly talk about drug addiction in any way that you want and can help you with that, if you feel you need to.

Take care.

Paul

Nona,

I haven't lost a child, so I don't check out this section, but noticed that Paul had replied to you. He gives such great advice that I clicked on it.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I grew up in the hippie era and had many friends that got into serious trouble with drugs, so I understand how strong addictions can be and that it is a disease. I, too, wondered sometimes how my friends could let drugs take over their lives and ruin the lives of those closest to them, but I also understand that once someone is that addicted they are not thinking, period. They are not the person they were before and are not really responsible for their actions, in a way. Some people find the strength (as Paul did) to crawl out of it and get help, but, unfortunately like your dear son, some never get that chance. The drugs get them first.

I'm sure you know that your son loved you, even if his disease made it seem like he didn't care.

Hugs to you,

Shell

Nona,

I also wanted to add that you might post something under one of the other topics, because I'll bet their are people who have lost loved ones to overdoses and could talk with you about it, but they may not click on this particular topic.

Bless you,

Shell

• 4 weeks later...

im sorry for the loss of your son i understand what an addicts family goes through my sister was addicted to alcohol. she died when she was 30 years old. my sister had 2 children who watched there mum go through this and thought drinking was the normal thing to do. For me personaly i went though shame anger and then gradualy i started to understand this was a disease she was fighting and not that fact she enjoyed drinking anymore. I can now say i was proud of my sister every day of her life i still miss her very very much and always will. andrea xx hugs to every 1 that needs them

Just in case anyone tried to use the link I gave a few posts above, it's under new management and no longer does recovery. Anyone interested in their discussikon forums, however can still access them at http://www.recoverycrossroads.com.

Hi Nona,

I am so very sorry for your lost, I could not even imagine losing someone like a son. I am an aunt to two young adult who abuse drugs and I am ever so fearful that I will receive a phone call saying they are dead. Again I am very sorry for your lost and I am sorry I was not much help Take care and I will pray for you. God bless you Shelley