Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief in the Workplace Research Study

MartyT

Hi there, my name is Jessica Zalewski, and I am a doctoral student at Wayne State University. I would like to invite you to participate in a research project by opting into a series of five anonymous surveys that will be administered over the course of the next 12 months.

The impetus for this research stems from having experienced the sudden passing of my father 10 days before the start of my senior year of undergrad in August of 2018. After planning and attending the memorial services, I had the option to take additional time off because I was a student. For my other family members and the majority of working adults who have experienced such loss, their return-to-work dates are decided by their organization’s leave policy. And the current 3-5 business day standard for full-time employees does not allow for individuals to adequately attend to grief, which can yield negative long-term effects at the individual and organizational levels.

In my thesis I will be investigating the relationship between grief and job satisfaction with the goal of inspiring data-driven changes to workplace bereavement leave policies. At this time, I am seeking participants ages 22 and older who have experienced direct loss and are employed full time. I am hoping to sample from individuals whose losses are recent and not-so-recent to gain a deeper understanding of the evolution of grief over time. 

If interested, please follow the link to the survey below, and please feel free to share with anyone who may be interested. Grief is a process all individuals endure, and research in this area is useful to not only normalize this experience, but to also ensure individuals have access to the necessary resources.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can email me at jessicazalewski@wayne.edu

I also have a video participants can watch for more information, if you would find it useful to include: