Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sweet Baby, Garrett

It has been over two years since I lost my sweet baby boy, Michael Garrett Parnell. He was 19yrs old and was killed instantly by a drunk driver on 2-26-04. It seems like yesterday....my heart has been shattered. The first year I was just numb....I cried all the time and could hardly cope with life itself...into the second year I became very angry and still cried all the time...now I still cry all the time, but I dont cry in front of people. People dont know what to do with you when you cry in front of them...they just stare at you and it becomes very awkward. I have searched for answers, read books, written to congress to change laws and NOTHING helps. My life changed the nite Garrett was killed. That is even hard to say or type. I have days I can barely function and cry alone all day. There are times without warning, I am knocked to the ground with grief. I am on the floor in my bathroom or kitchen crying my eyes out. I have asked WHY so many times and no answers come back. In the first year, I was out at the cemetary everyday laying next to his gravesite....the gardners use to mow around me...it is all so sad and not suppose to be this way. I am still searching, I have no one to talk to. I am now also divorced and my only other child, my 26yr old daughter and 5yr old granddaughter, live in the next town. I just need to find other moms like me....I dont ever want to stop talking about my baby, Garrett, he was my best friend and my buddy...he was just like me. As I write this the tears just keep streaming down my face, I miss him so much. No one understands or knows the torture and heartache I go through everyday. I go to work and put on my happy face when all along I am so broken inside. I guess I just need to know that I am not alone....thank you in advance for reading this....Garrett's mom forever

• 1 month later...

Hi 16Angel,

I want to tell you that I am very sorry for your loss, I can not even imagine what it is like to have a son or daughter die... I think it is worst when someone else takes the life of your loved one.... I will pray for you and ask God to give you the strength to finish your grief journey take care and God Bless You Shelley

• 3 weeks later...

Garrett's mom,

I'm very touched by your words, and so very sorry for your loss, how I wished you didn't have to go through this so painful moment. Tears came to my eyes as reading how you feel... I'm sure he's your little angel watching upon you,and you know, I'm sure he's very proud of the loving mom he was lucky to have. I pray God gives you strength and guides you through this dark path.

Don't mind those people who think it's awkward you cry still, I admire you for the strength you have had so far to keep on living with the biggest pain a mother may have and for the love you have for your baby.

Life seems so unfair sometimes..I'm sorry once again for your loss and though words can't help that much, just know there's people that care for your feelings and for the love you have for Michael Garrett..you have all the right to grief as much as you feel like.

Send you lots of hugs and blessings,

Gabrielle

• 1 year later...

It has been over two years since I lost my sweet baby boy, Michael Garrett Parnell. He was 19yrs old and was killed instantly by a drunk driver on 2-26-04. It seems like yesterday....my heart has been shattered. The first year I was just numb....I cried all the time and could hardly cope with life itself...into the second year I became very angry and still cried all the time...now I still cry all the time, but I dont cry in front of people. People dont know what to do with you when you cry in front of them...they just stare at you and it becomes very awkward. I have searched for answers, read books, written to congress to change laws and NOTHING helps. My life changed the nite Garrett was killed. That is even hard to say or type. I have days I can barely function and cry alone all day. There are times without warning, I am knocked to the ground with grief. I am on the floor in my bathroom or kitchen crying my eyes out. I have asked WHY so many times and no answers come back. In the first year, I was out at the cemetary everyday laying next to his gravesite....the gardners use to mow around me...it is all so sad and not suppose to be this way. I am still searching, I have no one to talk to. I am now also divorced and my only other child, my 26yr old daughter and 5yr old granddaughter, live in the next town. I just need to find other moms like me....I dont ever want to stop talking about my baby, Garrett, he was my best friend and my buddy...he was just like me. As I write this the tears just keep streaming down my face, I miss him so much. No one understands or knows the torture and heartache I go through everyday. I go to work and put on my happy face when all along I am so broken inside. I guess I just need to know that I am not alone....thank you in advance for reading this....Garrett's mom forever

I am sorry for your loss. I actually knew Michael. We went to school together in Geyserville. He was a wonderful person and so much fun to be around. We had a lot of good times in school. I just wanted to let you know of a website that is memorial site. My friend from middle school was shot and killed by her boyfriend and her family made a website for her on memory-of.com. http://ourbelovedbrittany.memory-of.com/candles.aspx It seems to really help. It is as if you are talking to them. I just thougt that I would let you know. I also just wanted to say that I am glad there is a sign in rememberence of Michael in Healdsburg. I think of him every time I drive past there. I am sorry again and everyone of his friends miss him very much. God bless you and stay strong.

16Angel. its been 37 years since my darling twin sons ( 11 months of age ) were killed by a drunk driver.

You are right where you are supposed to be. These were our babies, we loved and nurtered them and we lost them so suddenly without a chance to say goodbye.

The saddest part is they didn't have to die had someone not been so selfish as to drink and drive.

take care.